Anyone in Florida or North Carolina that can answer some questions for me?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone in Florida or North Carolina that can answer some questions for me?

Heya,
    I live in CT right now but am looking to buy a condo soon. A couple places im "interested" possibly in is FLorida and North carolina to get away from the CT winters.

If you guys could answer a few questions to best of your knowledge for me it'd be appreciated.

1) Job situations. How is the technology sector in the north carolina and tampa/orlando areas of florida. Currently I run a web/multimedia business and would like to expand that where I live.

2) Summers. I lived in GA for 3 years but thats a bit away. How is florida in the summers, is it intolerable? Is the bug situation as bad as in GA where u get gnats and junebugs(roaches) all over the place?

3) Is living by water bad idea in florida? I was lookin at a few places in the largo / tampa area and seemed rather close to water. Is flooding a big problem?

4) How are the schools in florida? I know most of the south is horrid in school systems but is florida as bad or above average?

5) What are the bad parts of Orlando / Tampa areas to live in and what are the good. Same with North carolina. What are the good and bad parts around the bigger cities?

6) Stuff to do? The girl likes the nightlife and big cities n clubbin. Is there stuff to do?

7) What is your general impression of the area you live in? Would you want to move and why? I'd really like to get an impression from someone who has lived there as it may sound good to me but there may be drawbacks.

I dont mind being close to NYC and Boston and Providence here but the winters just kill me and it gets old being in the same place for 25 years. Thanks for any help or insight!

Feel free to email me as well visim14@hotmail.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might be able to help you out here a little but not with every question. I've lived in Ft Lauderale for about 10 years now so I can't help ya in the Tampa/Orlando area. I've visited there many times but.. no idea about the work.

The summers here are as hot as anywhere I've been up north but the humidity is pretty intense. Basically, if you plan on walking from your house to your car, bring a change of clothes because you'll be covered in sweat. On some days, all you have to do is blink and you'll be looking like Rocky in round 5. Truth is, it gets pretty bad but I've never complained because I've spent 23 winters in Chicago. Now in December I can go jump in the ocean if I want and my hair doesn't freeze. Also, there is something very strange and appealing about a palm tree covered in Christmas lights.

Living by the water isn't so bad. I'm 2 miles from the beach and in 10 years I've never heard of any flooding.. except when Andrew blew through. Hurricanes can be a bitch alright.

As far as schools I am not sure. From what I hear they are pretty much average but I don't have kids so I can't be very accurate. The Art Institure of Fort Lauderdale is pretty damn sweet though. I loved every minute of it and I've been thinking of taking classes again.

Stuff to do? Man there is so much crap going on here I doubt if I could keep up even if I did have the money to party every night.

Anyway, good luck where ever you decide to relocate. There are plenty of pros and cons about any area but personally I happen to enjoy walking around in shorts and sandals in January. It's not for everyone but I can tell you that I do not miss snow and slush one bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I lived in the Tampa area for the last 2 year,s I just moved to Utah, so if you want to PM with me questions Ill answer them..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys

DragonGX i'll send you a few PM when i work out some more questions for you regarding that specific area.

Yeah man winter and all that slush n crap sucks. Its really hard finding an ideal place anywhere. Not sure if the intense heat and humidity is better or worse than intense cold that im in now.

I dream though of being in shorts right now!

Thanks
    Neil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stay away from Florida. Especially Tampa.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Bloodstone

Just Temple Terrace :o

:bash:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Bloodstone
    any reason? How about area around tampa, apollo beach, largo, etc?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Florida

I have lived in Florida almost all my life. Through high school
    I lived on the east coast in near the Cape Canaveral (where NASA is.) I moved to Orlando once I started going to Full Sail, the college I am attending. I can't speak for the west coast of Florida like Tampa, but I can for Orlando and the central Florida area. I don't know why those guys said to stay away from Florida, unless they just really hate the heat. Anyway, on to you questions:

1)The technology sector in central Florida is pretty good. The entertainment, tourism, and areospace industries in the area
    always use web and mutilmedia. I have friends and family in all sorts of multimedia jobs around here: My stepbrother makes websites and media for an areospace company, a friend from my church works on developing virtual reality training programs for astronuats, and a few friends do freelance web design. And that's just the stuff that comes to mind right now. With some proper research, I don't think finding a job in the multimedia field would be a problem.

2)The summers in Florida can be hot and muggy, but they never bother me that much. I mean, unless you are a constuction worker you probably be in air conditioning most of the time anyway. And the bugs are only bad near the swampy areas. Mosquitoes aren't really a problem over here in Orlando, but we do get those love bugs pretty bad some times.

3)Living by the water isn't a bad idea, until the rent comes due or a hurricane shows up. Flooding is rarely an issue until a nasty storm comes, and then in can flood rather badly in some areas. Living near the ocean is typically much more expensive, but if you are looking at living near a pond or lake it won't raise the price as much. The lakes tend to be mosquito breeding grounds though; not always, but if bugs are a big deal for you then you might want to look into the waterfront areas carefully.

4)The schools in Floida are not bad; I would say that they are average. I never had much love for the public school system though, so you might not want to consult me about that subject, considering my bias.

5)I really don't know what the bad parts of Orlando are. I live in the Winter Park area which is on the outskirts of Orlando proper, and it is pretty nice. I could possibly help more on this topic if I knew more about waht you were looking for.

6)As for nightlife, I know Orlando has a big one, because of the tourism. the downtown area has clubs and all that. I have never been much of a "clubbin" guy myself though, so I can't gauge the nightlife really except from what my friends say.

7)My general impression of the place I live is pretty good. I am in no hurry to leave, and I would only do so if I found a good job in computer animation elsewhere. Otherwise I think I would stay here.

In any case, I this information is of use, and I, like DragonGX, shall extend an invatation to Personal Message me if you need finer details. Glad to be of service in any way I can.

God made Heavy Metal, and He saw that it was good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, appreciate the response. will def PM you with more questions as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.