Final Fantasy XI

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final Fantasy XI

Final Fantasy XI.. anybody else playing it? It is a pretty good game, I must say. It is a pay-to-play.. and I know a lot of folks don't like the idea. Doesn't really bother me but I undertand how it would some folks.

It's a beautiful game. Great graphics (especially on high-end machines), nice interface, battle system and quest/missions.

Anyway, I am on the Titan server. If you find yourself there, look me up (same user name )

gamespot link

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the problem with pay to play is that 70% of gamers are still kids with out jobs or with non-full time jobs.

i really wish there was another way to do pay to play like...with...coupons or something...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah im with Davi.

For most sony games though, there are game cards, like everquest and planet side have them, but there like 60$ i think and only three month or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I hadnt thought of that.. I guess it is rated T for teen after all

I have seen gift cards (for Everquest, specifically) but I have never really thought those would go over well.. maybe they do.

I guess my logic is that I pay $50 for a game that I can play in three days.. maybe a week at most. Take my last game. Temple of Elemental Evil. A great game (although probably the buggiest game Ive played.. still finished it though ) but done in four nights. $50 in four nights. Or I can buy a game for fifty bucks play it for a month straight (if I wanted to. Thank god I dont) and then pay $12 a month after that and get unlimited content.

You do have your free online games (Warcraft/Starcraft, Diablo, NWN, Dungeon Seige.. although multiplayer Dungeon Seige sucks) and maybe those are a better value. But for me, multiplayer on those never pans out.. I might meet with friends for a few nights of gaming and that is it.

I dont know.. I guess that is why it doesnt bother me. Seems cheaper to me as long as it is a game that can hold my attention. But I understand your point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the dedicated worlds for NWN are fairly detailed and interesting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pay per play games are the shit.. cept you really "pay" with your social life..
    my 5th year of school was 2 painting classes 1 studio and Ascerons Call... thanks mum and dad!!!though i did make 2 grand from ebaying stuff from the game..so i made maybe 10 cents per hour playing

I love fishes they’re so delicious, let’s go fishes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't think ffXI was even out yet. I don't think taking the final fantasy series online was the smartest move ever, but i guess given the profitability and success of everquest and such its a good business choice. I'm gonna wait until ffX-2 later this year and hopefully that will hold me over till 12. Long live square.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    entering the MMOG market is a dangerous business, not a safe one at all. So much competition and not all thatlarge a market, well, not all that diverse of one. Most players will flock to one or two games and abandon the rest entirely, leaving them to die terrible terrible deaths. Huge amounts of money must be invested, and its very very possible the game will be very unsuccessful, not because its a bad game, but because people are too addicted to others to switch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would play ffxi but my firewall is evil and won't let me connect. *stares at the useless copy of ffxi* Oh well, more time for art. ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh.. to tell the truth I have only logged in a few times and only played a few hours myself. What I have played has been fun but I don't have enough time in my day.

I do remember reading that there are specific ports you have to have open. I don't remember what they were or where I read that though. I have a linksys myself and it didnt require me to reset anything..

Maybe I will go log in now Yeah.. that what I am goona do!

Edit: .. or maybe not. I've got my computer rendering all sorts of crap. By the looks of it, I've got a ways to go too

Last edited by oglzogl; November 10th, 2003 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, ports are closed on school's network and I can't get them to open them thus far. A true bummer. :/ Especially since i want to go into the video game industry and i need to play for research, darnit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    entering the MMOG market is a dangerous business, not a safe one at all. So much competition and not all thatlarge a market, well, not all that diverse of one.
    After selling my soul to that market, I know all to much about it. I think what Square and Sony (right?) did was a great idea. Most people who play MMORPG's are huge nerds, and probably have a few places in their lives dedicated to the FF series. Also, something that this (and most new MMORPG's) adds is a new world. Most people who play Everquest, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Starwars Galaxies, Ragnorok Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, etc. (so sue me, I'm a nerd) play them because they have nothing better to do. When a new game comes out, and they see some sort of familiarities in it (that's why most sequels do well)....(except for that everquest game for PS, god knows what they were thinking) they gather to that game.

the problem with pay to play is that 70% of gamers are still kids with out jobs or with non-full time jobs.
    That has always been a problem in any game played online, especially free games (the blizzard series games, etc.). The MMO games usually put an age limit (Everquest started it, being you have to be 13 to start up), but that doesn't help much. There's no true way you can filter out all the kids/teenagers, they always find a way around it (i.e. get their parents to sign them up). Good thing is though, you can always tell who is a teen or adult (Names are a great way: MyKok2big4u vs Sir Isaac The Brown).

Oh god, from what I've heard about the game system they have, to make sure the servers do not get too crowded seems awful. Penny Arcade did a comic on it (Level 10 vs Level retarded)

some of the dedicated worlds for NWN are fairly detailed and interesting
    Before I go, let me just say.

No.

Sure personal preferance could be in the way, but the time it took for Bioware to make this game, couldn't they at least make it fun and original? It just seems like the same senseless bullshit thats been out on the market for a few years. I guess when they started making it, it was a great idea. Too bad.
    Something about Neverwinter Nights just left me high and dry, I don't quite know why. Bust out the rhymes...Ha, good times(?)

I'm awful, I'll stop.

mos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before I go, let me just say.

No.

Sure personal preferance could be in the way, but the time it took for Bioware to make this game, couldn't they at least make it fun and original? It just seems like the same senseless bullshit thats been out on the market for a few years. I guess when they started making it, it was a great idea. Too bad.
    Something about Neverwinter Nights just left me high and dry, I don't quite know why. Bust out the rhymes...Ha, good times(?)

I'm awful, I'll stop.

mos. [/B]
    Heh.
    I have to say this is the exact same opinion I had. They spent so much time on the editor that the actual gameplay was a Diablo rehash. Ugh!

-toasty =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always told myself I would never play an MMORPG mainly because of my OCD tendencies toward games and shit like this, but I picked it up anyway. If you are anything like me do not pick this game up. The game is ridiculously addictive, and being absolutely gorgeous doesn't help the matter. Now I'm neglecting drawing and leveling like a madman, effectively beating my goals and social life with a shovel. Thanks Square!

Christ, I wish I never started this game... :bash:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FF7 had to be my first game addiction ever and let me tell you I wore a serious hole in that couch.

Never again.:chainsaw:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for digging this thread up again. but my registration code WON'T WORK!!!!!!! :mad: i can't sign on and damn do i want to play this game!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down

I think the game looks very professional and well thought out to finalization as far as the graphics are concerned.

Paying for game every month is a joke. Especially for an artist. Buy a new sketchbook with that money...

-Joshua

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    every quest is like exactly the same....."take this and give it to some guy here".....no cool FF cutscenes or anything....

Sure it's pretty....but if I'm ever gonna try an MMORPG again it better have Zelda type fighting......
    ....plus, if you play as a black mage, it's like....fight....recharge for an hour...fight...recharge.....you spend like 90% of the time sitting there doing nothing.

MMOs are like MSN messenger with cool graphics....it's just an overly elaborate chat......games that you can't finish suck, lol.

...and once you reach level 30 or so the levels come soooooooo slow.

...at least it's cooler than Star Wars Galaxies.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

dude, not really. ive seen plenty of cut scenes in ff11 and once u get to lvl 30 its more fun cuz u get the chance to open up 9 more jobs. just go to delkfunkts tower or whatever and ull see my cinematic point.(its in quifm)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.