Sketchbook: Strum~I'm Workin' On it
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Strum~I'm Workin' On it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Strum~I'm Workin' On it

So I've been pretty stuck at the same skill level for a while now. Ugh. If you have advice or critiques, don't hold back. I'll promise that I'll keep drawing like mad.
    The digital pic is the first thing I've done in photoshop that I dedicated more than 10 minutes to! Here's its reference! http://www.kindgirls.com/photo2/ftv/...nielle/14/1/0/
    Also I really had to darken the levels of the sketchbook pages, is that normal?

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by MisterStrum; August 13th, 2008 at 04:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    S'alrighty, another batch including another photoshop piece, yay! Self portrait, man I look bored >< Here's the ref for the one sketchbook page http://www.kindgirls.com/photo2/meta...adezda/15/3/0/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up with the studies, i like em, and woul dlove to see more of them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Brun, I'm starting to get a little confident with the digital thing, I might even try a simple colour piece. I have a bad ability with colours, so we'll see what we can do ><
    First one is from posemaniacs, definitely a cool site.
    Also think I'm going to make my shadows darker in sketches as when I darken them in photoshop(to make them visible), they look better.
    Ref for the digi pic- http://www.kindgirls.com/gal094lop4/...ia_37654_1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff, trying to force myself to render everything in my sketchbook. I think I'm starting to grasp value much better than before. I still botched some in my sketchbook, but, getting there.

So, yep, coloured a sketch, I think its mediocre, but, it seems so boring, ack! Advice is cool.

I think I'm going to get a photo and break out Peck to look at the hips again. ><
    Two sketchbook studies from..
    here
    and
    here(NUDITY!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, This is really impressive! I really like the sketches, keep it up dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks marc. No digital breakthroughs this post. As a temporary substitute for Peck, I did some of posemaniacs 30 second gestures. MAN that tears through pages in the sketchbook -_-;. I'm starting to complete the whole thing. I'd usually get stuck without 1 or 2 legs, so yay!
    I'm going to try the ol' paint an apple deal this weekend... AND PECK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think looking back on it the times i actually felt myself become better at drawing were all times i was working on one drawing every day and put a lot of hours into it and made sure i thought the finished thing was good after tons of trial and error and frustration. i don't know if you still feel like you said you did in the first post (that you've been stuck at the same skill level), but it made me realize i've felt the same way since all i've been doing recently are quick figures in my sketchbook. so i guess my advice is to try a project on some good paper from life or something where you will put a lot of hours into it and force yourself to be satisfied with the result... or at least satisfied with how thoroughly you observed the subject while working on it. it really helps, and you're going to want to make fully finished pieces eventually anyway, so why not get comfortable with it early on?

/edit master copies are good to put a lot of hours into too

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks grenappels, I've actually been trying to do longer pieces more, as this update will show! It's good that I'm getting some confirmation on this.

As far as master copies go, I think I might try that, maybe just in grayscale first, I don't know ><. I KNOW there was a thread just for master copies, anyone know what I'm talking about?

So, yep, the big thing for me was the nectarine I did with colour, yay! It definately took a while, but I'm pretty happy with what I managed. Of course, I'd love y'all to point out its errors.

Also did more 30sec posemaniacs. The animal skulls are the lioness from Ellenberger's book and the pelvis from Peck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have great anatomy sketches... Im working on it also,but not so
    successfully...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice fuller renderings, you're getting there! throw a bit of a background in on some drawings sometimes too, i guess thats the other little bit of advice i'd give

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty large update, but nothing huge here, bah. Seems doing some 30sec figure drawing results in better figures for me afterwards. Also, I really tried to save whites for just the highlights for the face, something I usually laze out on. The figure I wasn't as patient with.
    I think I might go and see what the mentor forum is all about, I think direction and deadlines would be great for me.
    More fruit studies are coming, after looking at my nectarine again, doesn't have much depth and pop. I also think I will be doing more sketching in photoshop, so I can throw in some colour here and there.
    References(nudity) Here, and here

Why do I have to darken the levels so much UGH, is it a scanner thing or do I have a light tough >< It messes the hell out of the pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I think I'm going to start tagging along with some things that go on around here, including the mentoring threads. Heres two things I did, one was for the DSG, a reptilian tiger, the other I set up using pen pressure for flow and opacity, and it was really cool to do. Also did some sketched, but just more of the same.
    I changed this ref to grayscale for the study ->Here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been sticking with digital, starting to get better, pressure sensitivity is a godsend.
    These are in chronological order, mouth ref -> Here, lioness head from ellenberger's and banana from life. Any critiques or advice would be great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More digital yay! So I'm starting to actually do the lessons and assignments Corriero gave his mentees instead of just reading them. Here's the first one, along with something I did all in photoshop, it was pretty fun! I think I'll be doing some more studies involving colour, whether it be fruit or otherwise.

Also did lots of 30sec posemaniacs, and very loose/quick pencil gestures(animals too!), and then rendering them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very wicked sketches man, some quality linework. Your digitals are improving too. Keep practising and you'll be pro in no time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vibrant sketchbook! enjoyed it. cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to both of ya Zenichi and robojon!
    Alrighty, I've been drawing just as much and this is only about half the stuff I've done. I'm reading through creative illustration right now, and its great. Also still doing studies from Ellenberger's. The blue robot thing is from a DSG this month. Would have changed the bg but the way I painted it, its not simple . Here's the ref's for the last two sketches and the digital- > BOTTUM!, NUDITY! and POINTS! if you know who this is. Advice and crits is great

Members who have read this thread: 1