Sketchbook: Christian's Sketchbook WOOHOO

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Christian's Sketchbook WOOHOO

Alright, all the cool kids were doing it so i thought i would too.
    I knew I had to start my sketchbook sooner or later, I've just been putting off art because its summer and im lazy. So hopefully creating this thread, getting some crits and comments will keep me motivated enough to continue drawing instead of playing video games or something dumb.

So I guess i should start with some of the stuff I've got on this computer (all my sketchbook crap has to be scanned by another computer and then i gotta email it to my computer, big pain in the butt). But I should have some of my sketchbook in here later today.

Heres some stuff that I drew within the first several weeks of getting my wacom and photoshop. The soda can - canada dry - i drew with my mouse, made it before i got my wacom. The walker was the 1st thing i drew with the wacom, just messing around with different brushes and trying to learn stuff. And then i jsut grabbed an apple and a pepper and tried to draw them. Not necissarily dissapointed with the results since im so used to drawing with pencil and in black in white. The pepper looks plastic though

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by ChristianWeeks; November 15th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 913 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finally! a sketchbook from you!
    Your digital paintings [from life?] look great. nice, and unabashedly vivid. I wish I had that quality in my paintings. ><
    Loving that mech thing in the last picture.
    Would be great it you finished it, would look kickass

4. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOORAY MY FIRST COMMENT!! haha

Well i just sat down for the last 2 hours and drew a bear (yes, a bear). I just went to scan it and the stupid scanner wouldnt work.

"You may have a scanner attached to your computer, but HP precision scanner could not locate it"
    I checked all the cables and everything is hooked up, so i dont know whats wrong with the piece of trash. I'll have to wait till my dad gets home to tinker with it. But HOPEFULLY i can get some stuff from my actual sketchbook into the computer by tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,637 Times in 3,790 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Had to make do without a red pepper for tonight’s dinner. Shame, as yours look fairly tasty.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Thanks black spot

alright i got my scanner working woohoo!!!

Okie, first thigns are a bear w/ reference i drew yesterday. The scan came out too light so I used auto levels with it, so the dark parts really dont contrast THAT much. Granted I think I shouldve made the whole thing darker - it really doesnt look like black fur.

The other stuff is just some crap i drew a while ago. First is some man i drew sleeping under some trees in the park, and the other two are sketches of the pool area that I work at.

Last edited by ChristianWeeks; August 13th, 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gorgeous bear. ;D
    would look gorgeous-er if inked. :]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I need to venture out into other mediums, im too comferatable with pencil. Im afraid of the idea of not being able to erase

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketching in ballpoint might help with that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK ive been neglecting my sketchbook for a while because again because of stupid computer problems (I HATE COMPUTERS). But heres a tiger I drew a while ago, and the reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty then. I started school last thursday and so nows the time i gotta start thinking towards my AP studio art portfolio. I gots to think of stuff to draw!!!

Two ideas came to me, the first involving the tiger sketch i made in the above post. They are such majestic and beautiful creatures... I often wish I could forget my life in the west, move to india, and become a buddhist monk and live in one of those temples where they train bengal tigers. THAT would be fricken awesome. ANYWAYS, I wanted to create a... sortve, collage i guess? Idk what itd be called. I was thinking in colored pencil, drawing several 3 tiger faces each with different facial expressions and facing different directions (1 roaring and the other 2 more passive). Beyond the heads, their fur would slowly fade out into the background which would be made up of a texture of tiger stripes. The stripes would basically create the main implied movement and lead your eye around from each of the seperate tiger faces. I talked to my teacher about this idea and he said that it would be a bad idea because the AP judges wouldnt like the fact that I would use pictures that I didnt take as references (I'd probably just use reference pics off the internet). I really like the idea though. Any ideas on what I should do?

The 2nd idea I had was inspired by those cool tufa towers taht are in Mono Lake in California. The different formations of spires reminded me of sky scrapers and cityscapes, so i was thinking about using just the silhouette(s) of some of the formations and creating a city skyline out of it. Heres some different pictures I was looking at for reference. Thoughts about this idea?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    by all means.
    DO IT!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    by all means.
    DO IT!
    Yeah im def sticking with the idea of the cities. I want to make it at night, so doing the reflections on the city of all the different lights and on the water will be a real challenge. I think acrylic paints would be best for the job though. Maybe if I really like it then I may choose to make it my concentration

But god i hate myself 3 day weekend and i didnt do jack SQUAT. I'm such a lazy piece of crap. Somebody smack me please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright heres a real quick WIP for the kinda city ive got in mind. Since my portfolio this year cannot be digital, I'm just doing this for experience with photoshop and to get a better idea of what the picture will look like. I'm thinking about doing the actual thing in acrylics.

The thing I really want to focus on is just a variety of different colored bright lights. The most difficult part is going to be getting all the reflections and shadows from the different lights off the buildings right. I've only added in where I'll put some of the more dominant red light batteries; I want to add as many colors as possible though.
    I hope this won't be as difficult as i think it will be :X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with your friend, you should totally do it!

I don't know if you live in the LA area (or even San Diego!)--You should definitely visit the zoo if you wanna get some tiger sketches :] The LA zoo has like... 6 tigers in their exhibit! And they're also very fun to watch The zoo is a great place to practice!

Visit my portfolio website at rocky-o.com
    ===
    Story of my art. . .

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Raspberi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Na I live in South Carolina Closest zoo is in columbia, 2 hrs away, and I don't know how good it is either. I'll have to do some research before I get going on that project. TY though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watch the discovery channel. or animal planet

and draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright its been a while. I've been fairly busy I haven't done any work on the city tufa tower thingy things.
    But heres a self portrait i did last night. Self-portrait is the last thing i need for my AP portfolio, but the assignment we're supposed to do is draw a self portrait and cut it out and make a collage otu of it and a bunch of random textures that we make. So I'll post the final once i finish it.

I also did a big still life in oil pastels but I haven't uploaded the picture of that yet, so ill get that on here sometime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. It has been a while. And i haven't been doign NOTHING... I've just been too lazy to upload my stuff. Here are all of the pieces (minus 1) that I have done for my breadth portfolio over the last semester; the order of appearance correlates with the order I made them.

The first one is an oil pastel still life, 18 x 24. My first time using oil pastels, and I really liked them. The picture came out a little blurry though . Still lives are boring but they're easy to crank out, so I don't see the harm of having one in my breadth.

The second is a strange collage portrait thingy we did, 12 x 18. Personally I think should have left the portrait on paper and done something else with it, but the collage is different from all my other stuff so maybe the judges will like that. I don't really like it though.

Third is a colored pencil, 18 x 24, of my cat staring at the cat across the street that he likes to get in fights with. Stupid cat. This thing too FORREEVER to finish coloring it all in, and I feel that I rushed the background and the cat in the background.

Fourth is just pen. My sister took some really interesting pictures for some class she is taking in college ("the art of the book"), and one of them was the hand with the seeds in them. I gridded it, inked it, and then added a background. Seeds, trees, growth, yadda yadda it fits. lol.

Lastly is an acrylic paint that I am not yet done with. Over the summer, I took a course at the Art Institute of Charleston for graphic design. It made me realize, I do not want to go into graphic design. The course sucked. ANYWAYS, one of the things we had to do was create a design that illustrated the idea "life is better with art in it" or some crap like that. So I took that idea and started this painting several days ago. The idea is that the pen stroke goes across and makes everything all bright and colorful, and the other parts of the picture should be plane, dreary, black and white. I haven't figured out what I want to do for the black and white part though. I was thinking about drawing a plain wheat field (with the uniform rows, ya know) since it would contrast the bright plants on the other side, but I don't know which is why i haven't started yet. So any suggestions as to what I should do with that would be REALLY appreciated.

As would any feedback on any of my pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, after a year-long hiatus i have returned, and i was debating whether or not to put my portfolio in my sketchbook b/c they aren't REALLY sketches but its all i got for the last year, so HERE WE GO.

This is my 2008-2009 AP Studio Art Portfolio BREADTH section:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The final 12 pieces are my concentration. My concentration theme was environments (I decided to take a broad subject because there wasn't any specific subject i wanted to really focus on). The 6th one is a terrible photograph but i actually had to submit that one photographing graphite is a pain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff. especially the 4th from last.
    one question: how exactly does your concentration evolve?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyyyyyyyyy long time no see eh hahaha
    uhhhh... Well, all the pieces aren't in the exact order i drew them in, but there aren't many real big changes. I improved on my perspective... If you look in the first picture, the highway sign and the cooling towers are completely out of perspective; the towers should be much larger compared to the highway and the signs. In the more recent pictures, i tried to fix that and make sure everything that was the same distance (vertically on the paper) from the vanishing point had proper sizes in accordance with the other objects on that line (the city is a good example of that). ALso, i used only 1 vanishing point in most of the pictures, but the pencil castle town one used 2 and the city used 3.

So there aren't many drastic differences, hopefully i won't get points off for that

I'll try and stop by on vent again more often

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Christian, keep sharing it. Cheers

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mebiusu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, i like a lot of your digital art.

Traditional is also nice- after all, there's nothing quite like actually using a pencil. Natural conrol, fine precision, though the draw back of erasing....

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

34. The Following User Says Thank You to NanoBlack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, i like a lot of your digital art.

Traditional is also nice- after all, there's nothing quite like actually using a pencil. Natural conrol, fine precision, though the draw back of erasing....

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

36. The Following User Says Thank You to NanoBlack For This Useful Post:

The southern part of Louisiana, Prarieville. I'm close to Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...32#post2250332

This is my sketchbook link, please come visit and drop comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a self portrait i did recently. During the last couple weeks of school we had student body elections and stuff, and I didnt run for anything although i wanted to because i knew i could make some kickass posters. Yes, student elections :/ Even though i didnt run, i started looking up real presidential campaign posters and stuff, and then I came across old russian propaganda pictures. I love the art style so i decided to make mine similar, and voila i came up with this. the large borders would contain "Christian Weeks for ___" if i had actually used this.

P.S. i did it with my left hand yaaay

EDIT: I couldnt upload it before for some reason. here it is

Last edited by ChristianWeeks; November 15th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright after another long hiatus i have an update, and i really need some help with this one. I already asked for help in the art discussion thread b/c i wasn't sure where else to ask, but now that I have photos i figured I'd ask in here as well.

OK, so I'm doing a design for the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC. My idea was to have the bridge coming on the left side and on the right side have a sunset / sunrise illuminating the sky with brilliant, vibrant colors. Because of this purpose, I decided to use Oil Pastels. My problem is that because of the viewpoint, the suspender cables all overlap, so the only way to make them noticeable (especially as they get smaller in the distance) is to use a very fine point and be very precise. See where I'm getting at? Pastels aren't necissarly the most precise medium.

Here's a link to the thread on the art discussion forum which has pictures of the bridge itself: http://http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165394

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the finished product:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.