Camera Needed!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Camera Needed!!

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Camera Needed!!

Apparently nobody frequents the Photography section on conceptart anymore which is sad, so I will post my question here:

Need some advice. I'm a total noob when it comes to photography but I need one for my digital paintings. I use references for a multitude of tasks from practice to finished works, so I need something that will get me by but I don't want something crappy that will break down quickly. Also I'm prepared to invest some time into reading about this stuff so any beginner guides would be most appreciated. Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if youre taking reference for paintings, i'd suggest just getting a little dime-a-dozen digi that has easy upload, timed function, and a cheap tripod for those shots you need a steady hand for. seriously, there's little sense in spending $XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX.XX on one when the photos arent actually going to be seen by anyone but you during the process of the painting itself, not to mention the fact the photos themselves wont feature at all in the finished piece. i for one just use the built-in cam in my macbook for reference.

all the best!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stoph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    well I know that having a crappy digital camera really ruins your refs. Especially when the picures are noise polluted and only 72dpi . I'm getting a Nikon Coolpix P80 finally and hopefully I can actually USE my ref pictures haha.

But anyways, dont get a really crappy one if you can help it. Anything canon or nikon is good.

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apparently nobody frequents the Photography section on conceptart anymore which is sad
    I was just checking out the Photography Mob section the other day, and one thing I noticed was that none of the threads in the Finally Finished or Scrapbook section have thumbnails. I don't know why it should make much difference to me, given that thumbnails don't reveal much anyway, but I find that makes things a lot less interesting to browse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stoph: Thanks man but I'd like it to be fairly good and accurate with colour reproduction.

Mr.Delicious: Whats good about the Nikon Coolpix? And yeah 72dpi would be horrible. I need something that I won't have to puke over it a couple of times to make it look better!!

Jasonwclark: Yeah dude it's a shame really!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Brashen,
    what's your budget?

I have a Nikon D200, it's a very nice camera.
    Though, if you get a decent lens, expect to spend 2-3K.
    If you get just the body, you can get it for about $1000 here.

If you are looking for something simple and cheap, I am constantly amazed by the Canon Powershot Elph.
    It does incredibly well in low light, has pretty good white balance settings, and a nice big screen.
    I own 2, and use them far more often than my D200.
    In my opinion, it is the best camera out there under $200.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very little in between the $300 to $1000 range that is any good.
    The good point and shoots are pretty cheap, and the good SLR's and crazy expensive.
    Don't spend $700 on a shitty SLR, you'll just be disappointed.

Last edited by DSillustration; August 12th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DSillustration: Thank you for the links, those were helpful!! And I really dunno about budget I mean to me spending in excess of a grand is beyond my comfort zone so anything below that is good enough, but apparently from what you're saying those are really going to be crappy products. I dunno anything about lenses or whatnot so I'm trying to search fro a place that can teach me pretty quick what I need to do be looking for!! I'm gussing buying an ok camera but a really good lens is not the way to go?

But thanks again!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 738 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, Nikon's entry-level D-SLR, the D-40, is a fantastic value for money. If you plod around the web for reviews, you'll find plenty of pro photographers confessing that they bought one for a back-up camera and end up using it more often than their more expensive gear. It's small, light and takes fantastic pictures. The kit lens it comes with (can't buy just the body, which is a pity) is very good, too. At under $500, I've been delighted with mine.

Not sure it's still available. They may have discontinued it in favor of the D40X, which is the same thing with a (pointlessly) higher megapixel count.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Actually, Nikon's entry-level D-SLR, the D-40, is a fantastic value for money. If you plod around the web for reviews, you'll find plenty of pro photographers confessing that they bought one for a back-up camera and end up using it more often than their more expensive gear. It's small, light and takes fantastic pictures. The kit lens it comes with (can't buy just the body, which is a pity) is very good, too. At under $500, I've been delighted with mine.

Not sure it's still available. They may have discontinued it in favor of the D40X, which is the same thing with a (pointlessly) higher megapixel count.
    I agree completely, I bought myself one a few months ago and it's a fantastic camera

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahk, if you need colours to be spot on then disregard my ramblings, i only ever really use ref if i cant nail a pose, and even then i use it loosely (thats just me though)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stoat: Thanks man I've been reading reviews for the whole day and I've seen alot but consumed a little heh between slow shutters and ISO numbers I think I tried too much for one day!! BUt they do seem to be selling the body by itself.

Crush: Yeah it looks like a really good piece of kit!!

Stoph: haha well colour reproduction is really important to me wether I use it or not I'd rather have it than not

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd heartily recommend the Canon Powershot G9. It's a very versatile point-and-shoot with Raw capability, meaning you can completely bypass all the noise reduction and compression that you can't get away from in other P&S's, and it's a lot cheaper than a decent entry-level DSLR at around US$450. The exposure controls are easier to access than cheaper types which generally tend to minimize the complexity of the physical interface, which also means it just looks like a much more serious piece of equipment than any other digital P&S. There are some very good accessory lenses available, and it has a hotshoe mount to add an accessory flash. It's a great deal, and I'm very satisfied with mine.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to M.C.Barrett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C.Barrett View Post
    I'd heartily recommend the Canon Powershot G9. It's a very versatile point-and-shoot with Raw capability, meaning you can completely bypass all the noise reduction and compression that you can't get away from in other P&S's, and it's a lot cheaper than a decent entry-level DSLR at around US$450. The exposure controls are easier to access than cheaper types which generally tend to minimize the complexity of the physical interface, which also means it just looks like a much more serious piece of equipment than any other digital P&S. There are some very good accessory lenses available, and it has a hotshoe mount to add an accessory flash. It's a great deal, and I'm very satisfied with mine.
    I totally agree.
    If you have the money, this is a wonderful camera.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'll see when the time comes and until I've done a decent amount of reading before taking the plunge!! Thanks all!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.