Anyone try the Cintiq 12WX?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone try the Cintiq 12WX?

Well the fall semester is starting again, so i'll have a small surplus from financial aid. I was looking at the Cintiq 12WX as a possible option. I've always wanted a cintiq but 2 grand+ is steep.

Has anyone tested this thing out? It seems like the screen might be small, but I'm curious if it is a worthwhile purchase. I hear the normal Cintiq's last forever, but I'm hoping this isn't like the wacom bamboo which is a cheap version, both in quality and price.

My work: [link]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have it and LOVE it.

It's great to have a cintiq you can put in your lap, or lay flat on your desk. It has a little knob in the back that lets it spin around like a piece of paper even when you lay it flat.

It's really solid construction, nice thick glass, though because of that there's a little distance between the pen nib and what you see on the screen. I got used to it quickly enough though, and it's really no more noticeable than on one of the larger cintiqs. I also haven't gotten the color calibrated just right yet.

That being said, the good FAR outweighs the bad, and I feel like if you're a digital artist having something where the disconnect between the hand and the screen is as little as possible is a must. I got my cintiq in June and have been doing some of the best work I've ever done since. Not saying there's a correlation, just saying

It's absolutely worth the price.

I would say buy it through circuit city or amazon so you can finance it. That's what I did with mine, no interest no payments for 3 months. Not a bad deal at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I baught one some weeks ago
    I like the feeling of drawing directly on the screen

Bad points :
    -It became very hot when I use it more than 1 hour. When it's the worst time of the summer and you dont have any clim, it became really annoying hehe
    -There is a ''jitter'' (sorry not sure how to say it in english) problem, everywhere 1 inch around the surface. So you always have to draw in the center of the screen. I'm used to it so that's not so bad...but I expected something without any problem like this.
    -It's not as portable as it seems

Not sure if i'm totally happy considering the price I paid (1200$ CAN), but I like to draw with it anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend the bigger cintiq unless you need to haul yours around a whole lot. It's double the price, but it's far more precise than the smaller one. It's also bigger so you can get your wrist movements in.

The pixel density on the 12 is higher, but if you are like me your eyes are used to seeing things a certain size anyways, so the pixel density doesn't help that much since you'll zoom in anyways. It really bugs me that when I work on details I have to zoom in until I can only see a small portion of the painting. On top of that, it gets less accurate when you go closer to the edge, an effect much more obvious and annoying on the 12 than the 20 or 21.

It might just come down to your preference though. I have friends who are not bothered by the small size at all. The small one is also portable, which is a huge plus.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I tried one for a few days and really liked it. For a few days because it was accidentally shipped to us instead of a 21wsx and it had to be sent back but i took it out and gave it a whirl for a few days about a week ago and really liked it.

I read online before i actually got to use it about magnetic interference, and tried putting my cell next to it to throw it off or replicate what some people mentioned about it online and couldn't get it to do it. In other words, the rumors i heard about it being bad werent true. It also stays pretty cool compared to a regular cintiq as well. i thought it was a great piece of equipment.

The only downsides is all the cords that need to plug into it. It isn't just "usb and good to go" but plugging everything in is fairly easy.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I test-drew the 21" Cintiq and I have to say, I don't think I'll ever settle for anything less.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rich bastards.

SSG 37

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback guys! Looks like it is worth the money after all

My work: [link]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.