Art: King Unicorn Self-Portrait Bust (Completed 8/25)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: King Unicorn Self-Portrait Bust (Completed 8/25)

KingUnicorn is offline Between the world of the seen and unseen... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

King Unicorn Self-Portrait Bust (Completed 8/25)

I spend a lot of time pouring over the great work in this thread and not a lot of time sharing, so I thought I'd break the habit by revealing some progress on a bust that I'm pounding through. It's a three-piece design (head, horn, and torso), and I've just completed the first two pieces.

I've not affixed the horn in the photo. It's more or less balancing on top out of its final position to give a sense of size.

Construction: Super Sculpey/Sculpey III/Apoxie Sculpt over a wire/tin foil armature.

Thanks for looking.

~KU

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by KingUnicorn; August 25th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
    ... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the likeness is uncanny!

So i'm guessing this was sculpted from life, sans chin armor? i know you have the elf-sweatshop hammering out another appropriate, better-gem-glowing-protective piece, especially since we fought off that last siege of Ovensong™ and i know the old chin armor took some damage.

Bravo KU, and big props for sharing!

Keep rocking it out like Rock-a-fire Explosion!

g-gem

3. The Following User Says Thank You to guggemmaneuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's awesome to see how nicely your drawing style translates into a sculpture. I love all the bumpy, grotesque bits, its what you do. My only crit is that the skull portion is so clean and smooth compared to the rest, it almost looks like mask, which may or may not be intentional. I can't wait to see it finished

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nofingers For This Useful Post:

KingUnicorn is offline Between the world of the seen and unseen... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guggs: No chin armor this time around. I wanted to contrast the cleaner aspects of the bony parts against the "hot box of weird" happening behind the head. I'll work chin armor into another piece for you soon.

Fingerless: I can always find room for warty bits in my designs. And yes, I intended the skull to have a certain mask-like appeal. As you know I like to play on public/private faces. An additional roughing up might prove beneficial. I'll see what my files and knives can do. Thanks for the suggestion.

The image seems brighter than I intended it to be. I'll remedy that when the torso/base is completed.

Thanks for the feedback!

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, warts! Teeth! A horn! And eyes that eyes that migrate about the skull like bums in a subway--awesome. That should make some great still-life fodder. You could pair it up with a vase of flowers and a Barbie to good effect. I can't give too much of a crit, as I've never jumped off the sculpture cliff, so I'll leave it to the more experienced above. Just: good job!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artifex33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooooo very nice! especially like the back of the head, looks very detailed and gorey.
    The skull looks amazing, and has a sinister looking smile about it.

Excellent work

Alex

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostbrush For This Useful Post:

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    King Unicorn,
    what can i say? you do really really good work! i hope to see more of this piece and others...and thanks again for taking a look at mine. its always nice to hear from more experienced, and advanced sculptor's. keep churning out the awesomeness!!

Maddmaestro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maddmaestro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit. This is the first time I've seen your 3d work, I think. I'm blown away. How do you plan to finish it up?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grendel Grack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try to avoid responding to comments here without delivering some updates, but I'm so close to wrapping up the last piece I'll chance it.

Artifex: I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when this is completed. I've finally balanced out my design aesthetic to not allow the grotesque to completely overrun the final product. Something that is mirrored in the Vessa sculpt you've already seen in process.

Ghostbrush: Thanks for the comments. I'll be interested to hear your take on the balance between the detailed portions and the cleaner portions once the torso is finished and the final look is posted.

Mad-M: Thanks go to you too. In the future I'll need to follow suit and post up in-progress shots as you have. You've been working quite diligently, which is motivating.

Grack: How do I plan to finish it up? Given my schedule this weekend, it looks like Monday will be the big reveal. All the details are in place, so it's just a matter of smoothing and cleaning before baking it down. You've set the bar rather high, so if I plan to display beside you, I need to draw deep from my creative well.

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've finally finished the sculpt for this piece, so here's the final result.

I had to make some repairs to the face due to a slight pet-related accident. I think it turned out better than expected following the harsh critique my cat delivered.

The pieces are held together with Blu-Tack for photographic purposes. I wanted to provide a certain measure of customization, so the head was designed to be positioned in whatever direction the builder chooses.

The head, horn, and torso will be cast out-of-house, while I cast and clean the pedestals for display. I'll post more photos once all the final components have come together. Thanks again for the comments and support.

~KU

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KingUnicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work man. Those textures are sweet.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingProphet For This Useful Post:

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    King Unicorn this turned out beautifully! It comes together really well...congradulations on some really amazing work.

Maddmaestro

21. The Following User Says Thank You to maddmaestro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chain mail is so in this fall. holy hell good job with the textures. and great photos.

high-fives and heavy-handed-pelvis-shattering-asspats galore! VERY inspiring!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to guggemmaneuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by guggemmaneuver View Post
    Chain mail is so in this fall. holy hell good job with the textures. and great photos.

high-fives and heavy-handed-pelvis-shattering-asspats galore! VERY inspiring!
    Thanks guggenmaneuver, i didn't even notice the chain mail until you pointed it out. King Unicorn care to do a tutorial on how you created it? I for one would greatly benefit from it. And so would my statue...PLEASE?

Maddmaestro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not familiar with the character but from your sculpt I can imagine all sorts.
    I certainly wouldn't want to bump into him at night.
    Great work, real sense of intent.

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaMonster For This Useful Post:

Siamese Goldfish is offline Programmer with an Identity Crisis Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    disturbingly awesome... i love it.

Looking for other Denver area artists!
    My Scribbles - Take a peek

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Siamese Goldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job! Can't wait to see one all painted up!

-Sam

32. The Following User Says Thank You to acornboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want one......not now...NOW!

great job sire

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Flipnastywebby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. This is just another step forward along a very long road and all I can hope is that the next project continues to push my development along.

Early on in the design I considered adding something that would function as a sort of mane running from behind the mask down the length of the neck. I think I might explore that later on in a distant future when I decide to give this impression of my alter-ego another go.

Chain Maille: Because it's been requested a few times, I've started work on a step-by-step guide that reveals my process for creating the chain maille weave. It took me longer to figure out the process than to implement into the sculpture, but the results appear to have worked. If someone can put the method to good use then it's certainly worth sharing.

More work coming soon.

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, the back of that head is luscious! What makes the front of the breastplate area work for me is the curve of the left pauldron(?). Without that, the body work would have been too vertical.

That looks like it took a really, really long time to finish.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Artifex33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to fruitdot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorite part is the horn! LOL. It is so unlike I have ever seen a unicorn horn, and looks really cool! The skull looks great too! The rest of the head, is...very intestinal looking to me LOLOL But I would not even know how to start to sculpt something like that! I would like to learn though. I guess my imagination runs a different way. I do not mean anything bad by "intestinal"...I just could not think of how to describe it! Very very cool!
    Lora

PS...are you going to paint this?

41. The Following User Says Thank You to SoulWraith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artifex: I know who to blame for concern over compositional elements. I've begun looking at projects in terms of serious deadlines, so I'm working to complete a segment or two of each sculpture (i.e. the figurative components, the costuming, the basing, accessories, etc.) each week. I've finally caught my stride, so the output will improve tremendously.

Soul Wraith: I've been dreaming up a fair number of sorcerous beings lately, and I believe that things that possess a certain supernatural power might eventually be changed by it - mutated or reshaped completely by the presence of whatever magical talents surge through their veins. I take "intestinal" as a great compliment. I wanted there to be a strong carcinogenic element to this piece - all manner of bulbous, unhealthy bits. That's the price that had to be paid for whatever secrets this fellow has uncovered. And his horn is just another result of the change.

I'm hoping to post a painted version of one of the casts in the near future (once I get around to having this cast)...

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not familiar with the character but from your sculpt I can imagine all sorts.
    this king unicorn character is quite frightening, and several of us catl have the goodly pleasure of knowing his grisly visage and razor sharpe wit... one minute his horn is etching some chin armor, the next minute he's dropping some incisive, hillarious, and all-too-true-commentary on whatever the topic at hand is. the likeness you see here is uncanny. oh, if i had a pile of quid for every wart the good king masterfully renders onto some amazing character. Seriously... as a character study this one is dead on.

KU>>> dooood... there's a piece in the art show... like a mounted deer head but it's a soft white unicorn! would look great in the hall of heads i have to say... LET'S SEE dat PAINT!

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking that it would be kind of neat to maybe add some shallow scroll-work carvings in the skull...like some kind of ancient language pictures...maybe your own hieroglyphs? I was thinking something elegant and frail looking...to weigh the demon-ness LOL but, I am just strange! I am one extreme to the other...on 99% of everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great sculpt, i do think however that your cat was wrong with the teeth area, i enjoyed the front teeth that stuck outwards in the earlier version of the sculpt, over the new ones that are growing purely downwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soul-W: I like where your head's at. I considered some kind of runic script on the mask area, but made the call to leave it off and keep the bony elements clean due to all the detail in the back of the head. I wanted to work a sense of balance into this one, but I could've been entirely wrong to not go for it. Hopefully someone will paint in/carve in some details to personalize this piece and we'll see. I will keep your suggestion in mind for future projects.

Pavel: The initial design had only top teeth splayed forward and rushing down. Now, there are both top teeth (pushing down and to the front) and bottom teeth (pushing up and to the front). Here's a quick (and horrid) photo that better reveals the changes. After seeing this, better or worse than my pre-destruction attempt?

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The idea is very good, I love details of the armor and you have gotten very good proportions in the equine skull. I am wanting to see how you paint the bust

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariahc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are good - and dark.
    Cant wait for the paint!
    Btw. I can see Your homepage is updated on a daily basis ;-)

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Aseyngel For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.