Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: IDW #74: The "Daisy Belle" at the Bonneville Salt Flats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #74: The "Daisy Belle" at the Bonneville Salt Flats

Topic: The "Daisy Belle" at the Bonneville Salt Flats

Background: Does the term 'Land Speed Record' ring a bell? Ever since the early 1900s humans have tried to break the speed records with custom build cars. The earliest attempts were raced on the sands of places like Daytona Beach, but when the cars got faster the racers exchanged the soft underground of the beaches for the much better salt flats and dried up deserts. The Bonneville Salt Flats is one of those places where speed records have been broken.

Usually, the speed monsters were given a name: 'The Green Monster', 'Spirit of America', 'Bluebird' and many more. Traditionally, France and Belgian drivers competed for the record in the early years, but since 1914 it were the British and Americans who competed for the record.

For this weeks topic, you have to come up with a land speed record breaking machine that goes by the name "Daisy Belle". The rules for this record state that it has to have wheels, but may not ride on a pre-build track. Also, there are different categories (piston engine, turbine engine, electrical car, motorcycle, etc) so you are free to chose any of these categories as long as it is a land speed record racer. Mind also the timeframe for your racer. You are free to design a racemonster from the 1930's or one from 2080, it's up to you.

I am aware by the way that the ThrustSSC didn't break through the sound barrier at the Bonneville track, but lets just pretend it could've happened there shall we

Brief:
    1. Design and draw the "Daisy Belle", a Land Speed Record breaking monster!
    2. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Sunday August 17

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  7.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    niiiiiiiiiice!
    but i gotsta miss it :'( going to spain.
    looking forwards to seeing some great stuff on this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's an early version of my vehicle. I think i want to redesign the back portion and expose some of the innner workings of the thrusters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm in on this one.count me in yoitisi/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've been out of teh game for a while, i dont have a choice to jump back in for this one

when people stop critiquing its because they stopped caring

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    razorbjc

wheels?

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What I have so far
    If you have any comments on ways I could improve it's the time

I really want to participate to weekly activities but somehow I never finish my things, hope this time I produce a complete work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic, hope I finish this.
    A quick sketch between other stuff today.

I started with a 34 ford and went a little crazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was working so hard in the last few hours i had to hand today to get something finished, but i just don't have time to get it polished up to a good enough standard.
    Will share anyway, but understand if it falls below the bar as the render simply hasnt had any time (at all) put into it.

explanantion later
    scramjet propulaiosn.
    will be killed if i dont leavbe the house right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember, the deadline is only 2 days away! So far, none of the images in here are finished enough to make it to poll, so work it some more! I'll try to leave some crits tomorrow, but I'm in need of sleep now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first attempt at a finished piece done in photo shop so please crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My entry. WWII plane like car with one wheel. Rocket powered

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My final for now,
    Not exactly as finished as I would have liked but I'm going out of town first thing in the morning so I rushed to get something done.

I hope to be home in time Sunday to post in the voting thread.

She's basically a retro style lake speedster with some modern styling and engineering twists.
    The large intake where the grille should be feeds a pair of Bell turbine engines (hence her name "Daisy Belle") that would be more at home in a Helicopter.
    Her death defying owner/driver Travis "Crash" Lewis pilots her from the aptly named HOT seat squeezed between the two engines and directly behind the fuel tank.
    When asked about the danger in piloting such a potentially deadly craft Lewis jokingly responded."Well if I ever do push her to far and and crash, at least I'll be the first one at the scene."
    Lewis expects that on her maiden voyage next week she will set a new class record of over 550 MPH.

Last edited by lewisaurus; August 16th, 2008 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The "Daisy Belle" named after the most famous cow in glorious Kazakhstan seconds before it smashes the land speed record in 2075.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my daisy

this is it i dont think ill touch it again
    all wheels have an extreme negative camber, in the front the angle helps making the wheel a part of the aerodynamics, at a certain speed the front wheels act more like wing flaps then actual wheels, the huge back wheels have more centrifugal force then small wheels providing a lot of stability, they have less camber but still enough to allow the top of the wheel to almost touch while leaving enough room at the botom for the turbine exhaust. All this in hopes of the widest track possible with the best air flow all around.

Last edited by maks444; August 17th, 2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: adding description

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I'm currently very busy with finishing my entry for POW, I 'll leave this round open a bit longer (like, a day or so). There will be no Finals thread this time, I'll make the poll the old fashioned way as I like it much more to do it that way. So, if you have an entry, post it in here and mark it as final, I'll copy it into the poll when I set it up. Mind though, that I will be more strict in allowing entries into the poll. I will give crits at the point too

17. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my last post was my final ...i was'nt sure it was very clear before.
    I hope to see a in extremis wave of entry ...only 4 steping up ! kinda sad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh kul , if i have a day or so , then im gonna start working on one !! thanks yoitisi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright here is a really quick sketch ...
    C&C please....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vibhas Virwani: Look out with the perspective. Especially the wheels are off, as they on one horizontal line while on the rest of the vehicle you try to show the top of the vehicle too (like on the nose). Designwise, the whole is a bit of a mumbo jumbo of shapes and details. Try to figure out what the main shape of the vehicle is -in this case I'd go for something a bit more streamlined and plain- and add details later on. If you're manage to make it on time, play around with the canvas size too. There's a lot of unused white space all around the vehicle at the moment.

Anyway, I'll let this round run for another..let's make it a bit less than 24 hours from now.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kul , thanks yoitisi , the perspective is off , i will try my best to correct it and paint it on time , i hope i cn get it done before the polls are setup , i think i need another 3-5 hours...

Last edited by vibhas_virwani; August 19th, 2008 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is my FINAL :

my first IDW !!!!!
    (although it took me about 5-6 hours to make that )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

it's a wip...whatcha think???

lewisaurus: nice one..but i think it would look better if you make the dropshadow a little longer...makes the car look stronger

Last edited by mnitschke; August 19th, 2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: positive crits for lewisaurus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time to close this round I guess poll will be up in a minute.

Edit: Poll is up, check it out here: IDW #74: The "Daisy Belle" at the Bonneville Salt Flats - Voting

Crits for the entries that didn't make it to poll:

Razorbjc: As you were early with posting a WIP, I'd hoped you would find the time to finish something. Promising start, though I seems the front part is seen in sideview while the back is partly seen from above. The exhausts seem to point at weird angles. Overall it could have been more sharper and more rendered.

XXITheWorld: Unfortunately there is little critique on yet. One suggestion I have however is that you focus a bit more on the design itself rather than the background. Especially in a challenge like this Industrial Design of the Week activity, I'd rather have a nice design without a background than a mediocre design with lots of stuff going on in the background. Mind your ellipses too, the wheel at the back is more of a blob. Check pictures of cars and suchlike to find out what it should look like (or check out my mentor thread, though I hate self promotion this way ).

Maieth: Shame you didn't get the time to finish this one, the initial sketch reminded me very much of the Nuna (solar powered car from my university for the Australian race).

Mugen1: First of all, please use the attachment manager of CA next time. A small image like that gets overlooked very easily I'm afraid. Just click on the 'Go Advanced' button when making a new post, and at the bottom of the page there is an option to add an attachment to your post. Great start, though it looks a bit heavy. If you'd added more details and texture it'd have made it to poll. I think my major crit would be that it simply doesn't look like a finished render at the moment.

Xezor1324: Like most of the above crits, your entry simply didn't look finished enough to make it to poll. Apart from that however, designwise it simply didn't really fit with the topic. The wings, wheel that's almost not visible and slapped on rocket engine it looks more like a WW1 fighterplane than a speed record breaking monster. Also, the rivetted on metal plates only make it look heavier rather than fast. Next time spend a bit more time on the desing, maybe do some research on the topic to see what works and what doesn't.

MNitschke: Good start, just a little too late to finish before I was going to put up the poll I'm afraid Little to say here actually, partly because it's still in its very early stages. Designwise I think the huge wheels and the groundclearance make it more of an all-terrain vehicle than a speedy car. Fast cars are usually very close to the ground.

Hope this helps you all a bit. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, rather the opposite actually Feel free to PM me if you don't agree with me here or have questions.

Last edited by yoitisi; August 20th, 2008 at 06:57 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.