View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • arttorney

0 0%
  • darthnader

0 0%
  • Orion9282

2 8.33%
  • Isuck

5 20.83%
  • Lex.W

0 0%
  • CamSyko

1 4.17%
  • Vorp

4 16.67%
  • D-Holme

1 4.17%
  • Cookiedough

1 4.17%
  • yoitisi

10 41.67%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #73: The Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain - Voting

IDW #73: The Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain - Voting

Topic: The Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain

Deadline for voting: Saturday, August 16

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #73: The Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 2525
Size:  7.5 KB
    Last edited by yoitisi; August 9th, 2008 at 07:48 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: arttorney

Attachment 432932

The Cauldron of Dyrnwch the Giant

Artist: darthnader

IDW #73: The Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain - Voting

the MZ-2105 flame thrower
    Nicknamed named the Dyrnwyn, after a Celtic sword of legend, is built on a completely new concept. when the trigger is held down, it releases a spray of compressed high octane gasoline, mixed with benzene, polystyrene, powdered magnesium, and a pyrophoric substance that ignites on contact with air, removing the need for an igniter. the mixture burns at such an intensity, that all of the fuel is burned up completely only 3 feet from the hilt, thus giving the impression of a sword of fire. this allows use in trenches and close quarters, without fear of igniting anything behind the subject. also, this stops flaming fuel from forming puddles and sticking to walls, a situation that renders the area impassible to friendly troops.

Artist: Orion9282

Attachment 432933

Dyrnwyn, gleddyf Rhydderch Hael
    I went the traditional route from the wikipedia description... The white-hilt of the sword reflects strength through its mimicry animal horns. The origin of the flame begins in the void of the blade, which is empty when not being wielded. When picked up, the flame starts small and "flows" up the center of the blade through its "veins" as reflected near the top of the sword.

Artist: Isuck

Attachment 432934

Artist: Lex.W

Attachment 432935

Artist: CamSyko

Attachment 432936

Artist: Vorp

Attachment 432937

the Knife of Llawfrodedd the Horseman
    It would serve for twenty-four men to eat at table.
    I call it the Ornate Celtic Cheese Cutter. The ring at the base is so you can hang it next to your spatula in the kitchen.

Artist: D-Holme

Attachment 432938

Artist: Cookiedough

Attachment 432939

Corn Brân Galed o'r Gogledd
    The Horn of Bran the Niggard from the North: whatever drink might be wished for was found in it. I kinda turned this into a 'weddingpresent', the heart, crown and hands are symbols from an Irish weddingring. I also incorporated the famous Shamrock clover in it. For the horn i just googled Viking horns and based on that further. I've added strings to it, so this horn can be carried and it's a bit flatter on the bottom, so it can stand on it's own, didn't want to add any legs there for estaethic reasons.

Artist: yoitisi

Attachment 432940

Last edited by yoitisi; August 11th, 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks
    Well, some notes on this round:

First of all, my apologies. As you might've noticed, this is not the original Finals thread, as I had to delete it because of a mistake on my side therefore I had to redo it from scratch like earlier rounds. Proof that I'm still not really used to the new system I guess.

Secondly, I think I'll try to be a bit more active in the original threads with comments and critiques, because right now there are a few entries in the poll that I wouldn't have allowed otherwise.

Darthnader: Although I can see you were trying for something original with yours, I think you could've spend more time on research and translation of the original myth. The design has nothing to do with the ancient legends of Britain except that the blade 'glows', but so does a lightsabre.

Orion9282, Lex.W and CamSyko: Same goes for you, having done some research on artefacts from that time period and place would have really helped. What makes these items belong to the Islands of Britain? Right now they seem pretty generic, without much clues that they come from a specific mythology and place. Magic swords and other items can be found in basically every old myth or legend.

Isuck: Also the same problem, what has steampunk got to do with the original myth? However, the self-propelled chessboard is a rather unique item for this culture so the link with the original myth is still clear enough I think.
    Last edited by yoitisi; August 9th, 2008 at 07:06 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    unusual to see you enter Yoitisi? Yours is the clear winner for me though. a great design, well rendered with a good deal of research.

Isuck, i would have voted for yours under other conditions, as i think its a strong idea and an attractive image. as yoitisi has already said, a bit more atteniton to context with timeline would have helped a lot.
    same goes for a lot of other people.
    darthnader good idea, again doesn't quite fit the brief for its time setting, but i think its a great idea that shows thought. I'm also going to disagree with yoitisi in so far as i think this is clearly a sword made of flame ("if a well-born man drew it himself, it burst into flame from its hilt to its tip"), as opposed to just a glowing blade.
    with regard to the image itself, maybe try adding in some harder brushes next time to improve contrast and give it a bit more shape. The edges seem a little hazy at the moment.

Thanks
    fuck it all, you posted the wrong image, yoitisi

Thanks
    Darthnader: You're right, apologies for that. It seems you didn't use the attachment manager as was clearly stated in the first post, so I had to copy the link from the original topic thread. Next time please use the attachment manager.

Thanks
    Taking the idea of personal development being the heart of this game, and risking an inconsequential backlash, here's some thoughts about all the fine pieces (and no one is left out!):

arttorney I really like your idea on the cauldron but it suffers from messy setup. Getting celtic knots working well in a simple front view is tricky enough and you've got them rolling around the curve of a cauldron. Is it digital? Looks analog. Either way, if you are starting with pencil I'd recommend really taking a bunch of time, with transparencies if necessary, to refine the pencil drawing so it really feels right. Solid perspective, solid ellipses, etc. Then deal with shading, etc. Also, something feels a bit clashy with the yellow gold against the green background. I would pull color out of the background to really make the gold shine. Too much competition with your item of interest.
    darthnader Nice shading and mechanical design. I would echo a comment above that the highlights and general shading transitions are much softer and blurrier than I'd expect from mechanisms of the sort. There's also a kind of uneven quality to the silhouette that seems a bit off. The full on white background is too much too. Just feels so...white.
    Orion9282Love the crispness of your rendering. I wish I could figure that out. Almost looks like it could be vector art! Small thing but given the overall quality of the rendering the drop shadow seems a bit simplistic. Get some reflected light down there! : )
    Isuck I love the sketchy/render quality and koo-koo nature of the idea. There's not even a chess BOARD! Fun. Perhaps a bit too busy, though. Hard to grasp in an easy swallow (if that's a good thing). A few bits of the lower internal workings are looking a bit squashed and mis-proportioned as well.
    Lex W. Cool idea. I think you suffer from some error-prone construction. In particular that pesky wheel. It's got the wrong shape. From this perspective that wheel is best approximated as an ellipse whose minor axis aligns with the vanishing line through its center heading off to the left. It's a weird rule to get your head around but it really works. I think it could also really benefit from some shadow action showing it on the ground a bit.
    CamSkyo Your colors and color morphs are out of this world. I love them. This is a plus AND minus though. I'm having a hard time reading much of the form on your blade. There are just so many colors and values all over the place. My mind feels a bit unsatisfied. Like I'm just seeing the shape of a sword with interesting colors inside. Which isn't necessarily all bad. I think the dark edge around the hilt is not a good thing either.
    Vorp Dork. Nice grey plastic sword! Well, I had what I felt was nice pencil sketch of the design but I just couldn't pull of realistic materials in Photoshop. I'm not so good at that...yet.
    D-holme I like the rendering style a lot. Nice and clean (but not too clean!) and comic-bookie. Love that background too. I can't say I love the diagonal placement of the sword. Something seems too space-greedy about it. Of course, it's not easy to compose a single sword panel. And what's up with the flame at the tip? I like the look of it but I can't tell if that's from the swing or it's spewing flame in 2 directions?
    CookiedoughNice flat, unique style. My only thought would be to try and spice up the form with a little more visual interest. Your overall shape is very simple and then you have a very simple rendering style. It almost feels like you need a bit more 'pizazz', dare I use 'pop'? I'm not sure. Perhaps a few more spirals of the horn? I don't know.
    yoitisiAre those poppies near the spear head? Some day you'll drink too much during an entire IDOW week and your submission won't be so good we can't think of anything that could be improved. Sadly, this is not one of those weeks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vorp For This Useful Post: