Digital Portraiture

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Portraiture

Here's my first ever completed portrait.
    She's my sister. Took me around 5 hrs.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by moonstonestreet; August 10th, 2008 at 02:03 AM.
    LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]
    CA Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131591
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nicely done, only comment i have is that u need a shadow under her chin to seperate the face from the neck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grafguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafguy View Post
    nicely done, only comment i have is that u need a shadow under her chin to seperate the face from the neck
    Thanks Grafguy, keen eye. I made the neck darker. That's far as I can get that I am satisfied.

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, good work, it has a traditional feeling and I guess your family is Asian? by the way, she's beautiful ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi splendidriver, yes, we're Asian. Thanks!

Here's a second portrait of my sister next to me. Took me approx. 6 hrs.
    I have to speed up, I know... (sigh)

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are quite nice, especially if you don't have a lot of finished portraiture under your belt. You convey the personalities of your subjects well.

One thing I do notice is that the skin tones in both are of a uniform color. If you look closely at a person's skin, it's usually full of many different colors, which change according to the lighting. Close observation can help you to experiment with what you see.

There's a well-used guideline that recommends using yellower tones for the forehead area, reddish for the middle part of the face, and blueish or greenish hues for the lower portion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you dont need to speed up, that only comes with time and repetition. Just worry about what your doing. On females in particular watch about doing to much texture, and soften some parts. To do skin color, you need to think a bit about the light that goes deeper and bounces around inside the skin. The flesh doesnt act like a matte or gloss opaque object, its semi translucent. So it will have higher saturations where you normally wouldn't. The nose for instance... there is no bone, so it's safe to add a bit of stronger color to it... but again, not too much. The cheeks will have a harder highlight... coz bone is near the surface, and less color there, but as they stretch down towards the jaw, there will be more color... less bone in that place to absorb it until it gets to the bottom of the jaw. Dont become happy with simply adding black and white to change the shade. sometimes yellow or blue are needed instead of black or white.

In the end, these are great pieces to be proud of. And they have a good distance read. Their thumbnails in the forum section looked really good.

Keep at it.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

I just remarked something I didn't like in the first one, I couldn't say it's a problem but I really didn't liked it:

I think that hair's feeling is not the same that the one you get with the face. I mean, the face looks defined to me and the hair looks too diferent so you lose harmony, I might be wrong, it's just an impression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chadarnook, thanks a lot! i really appreaciate the crit abut colors. yea, I was dead wrong, i didn't use blue or any color variation. I'll study more and work with it.

OBX, thanks for the lighting and color. I know Im not satisfied with the portraits but I can't understand why...I know there must be something missing...

Suira, the dry brush texture of the hair and the smooth surface texture of the skin was intentional. lol But I'd have to rethink these qualities too next tym around. Thanks a lot for noticing.

Gotta review, gotta review, thanks all. This Critique Center really rocks!

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi CA,

This here is my latest. It took me a lot of time studying colors and how apply them on portraits. here's my first attempt. Finished in 5 hours.

I hope you all will share your insights on this piece. I like it but there's still something... I don;t know. Again, maybe others can notice my mistakes but I couldn't.

Thanks a lot.

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what an improvement

the last one got a lot more life to it. good going

14. The Following User Says Thank You to johanflod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rally nice stuff! i like the fact you're not painting caucasians good idea posting a detail of an eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    way better... keep at it... somewhere in the middle and you've got it... I love them all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    johanflod, thanks a lot, i looked at lots of paintings to get the things people have said about colors. So there, it took me a lot of self-studying to get the 3rd portrait "pleasing" (cant think of proper word)

Timmy the Turtle, Im asian, so im actually drawing family and friends. Thanks.

Markb, thanks too/.

Here's a work in progress... i got busy lately so i have drawn a lot and this particular portrait got stuck as a WIP.

Here goes...

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've finally finished the WIP above. Here's the final piece. Hope to hear from any of you, please crit.

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks pretty good.

One thing you might want to consider is painting with some transparency, so the strokes overlap and blend. Right now the color and shape are generally correct, but all the edges are very hard, almost unnaturally so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, such an improvement made here since the first portraits! Adding more colour and saturation to the faces are doing wonders. Great progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    Looks pretty good.

One thing you might want to consider is painting with some transparency, so the strokes overlap and blend. Right now the color and shape are generally correct, but all the edges are very hard, almost unnaturally so.
    Thanks Ryn & Giacomo. Btw, any good link that illustrates how painting with transparency works? I heard about it before but don't know what it really means... Thanks!

>>>inserted july 17 2009
    here's the final piece of portrait 4. i just left it as it is. it came to a point that i can no longer tune myself and improve the painting cause i ignored it for a long time due to busy day work. anyway, i just proceeded with a new one, a friend, and tried avoiding the comments previously pointed out in my portraits. the new one is shown at the bottom of this thread. She's Donna.

Here's Shamcey:

Last edited by moonstonestreet; July 17th, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! You've got a really good understanding of facial structure and light. Post #14 is a huge improvement in color, much cleaner and more lifelike. I only have a few suggestions:
    -The shadow under her chin gets to be very brown, almost black in one area. Watch that you don't fall back into using little color variation in shadows; darker shadows can be achieved with blues, violets, and greens as well as browns and blacks. Browns and blacks should be generally avoided in painting lighter skinned folks, since they tend to muddy up skin color.
    -The earring on her left ear looks like it's on top of her ear, rather than hanging from it. The tiniest bit of warm shadow at the juncture of earring and earlobe would fix this.
    -That same ear does look a little unfinished... Bringing some of the warm pinky-orang tones from her cheeks into her ear would make it look more lifelike.
    -Don't forget about reflected light. The slightest hint of light flesh tones bouncing onto her shirt would make the fabric pop and make the whole piece feel more cohesive.

All in all, this is a beautiful painting. You've done a great job with the gold earrings, and reflective things can be so hard. I like your choice of blue for the background, since it complements the orange-ish tones in her face. I also like the treatment of her lips--they look really full and lifelike. :-)

[Q]Btw, any good link that illustrates how painting with transparency works? I heard about it before but don't know what it really means... Thanks![/Q]

I don't have any links for you, but if you're working in digital media, try changing the opacity of your brush tool. If you're working in acrylics, you can thin the paint with water. With oils, use turpenoid, gamsol, or another oil painting medium to thin the paint. Then it's just a matter of painting in layers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Got some nice progress going here! Watch your constructions though- in that last one, take a look at the nostril and the ear- right nostril's way too far down, and the ear is completely flat, so it looks like it's sticking out too far. Your use of color has improved pretty dramatically, so great work that!

Try playing with the lighting so you get some dark areas, get some nice value range. It'll help the images pop out, and the light areas will stand out more so you don't need to go too bright - part of the trouble with the way you're doing it is that you're paying too much attention to the details rather than the whole, so you've got too many highlights all over the place. Hold back on those! Really look at your whole subject, squint, find the real highlights.

Keep up the good work!

-Sid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's a new one... this one took me a while. been very busy. i hope yo guys crit it. i would really like to know if there's some improvement in my portraits on a third person's perspective.

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

I can see you have improved a lot from your first portrait to your latest piece.

I really like the colours and values of this piece. But the things i notice are the proportions are a tad off and some of the shape of the face has been simplified a bit. Like in the photograph, the viewers left, of your cheek has lost it's curve and dip, it's more. The size of the nose is actually a bit wider and stands out a bit more in your piece also. Again, it's probably me just being picky, but just some of the features of the piece are a tad off scale and off position. But I definitely can see a massive improvement so keep it up.

Best Regards,

Thanks
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 945 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it looks like she has a dirty face on the last pic, you have to kighten up that arias or use a different skin tone.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like both of your paints very much.
    Its really professional job.

Two thums up!

http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all!

fongsaiyuk, thanks for pointing those out. i gotta act on those...

randis, im actually anticipating the dirty face. its funny after 2-3 days of looking at it... thats when i realised that indeed it kinda looks dirty. gotta act on those too.

thanks a lot lobster 007.

busy day. gotta sleep first. tomorrow will be overhauling time. thanks all and gudnyt.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Thanked 5,161 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Gettin' better and better! Lots of good advice already given.

My advice would be 1.) To really study the form of the face, from a skull and maybe Bridgman's anatomy books. 2.) Try to get more variation in the skin tone. This doesn't mean putting a grey chin on a girl, because that will look like a five oclock shadow. But really take a good look at some fine art painters like Dan Gerhartz: http://www.premierartauctions.com/im...20Tiffany2.jpg

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nicely done. I love them. Keep up the good work

- BLADES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'M BACK. After four long years of just doing architecture work, life got me back to drawing figures and portraits. I missed it a lot and I miss the CA community.

And who would have thought that the second to the last girl I painted above would turn out to be the 3rd runner up in 2011 Miss Universe! She's a good friend and my classmate in architecture school back then...

It's great reading these posts again. You all rock!!! \m/

LIVE Forever.
    [SIZE=3]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I wondered how such an old thread got resurrected. Nothing wrong with a self necro.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome back! i was wondering why it was signed 2008 until i looked at the date it was posted LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.