33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

23 69.70%
  • A Little!

10 30.30%
  • No, Your going in circles!

0 0%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Eric Wants To Learn More! - Need Critiqages!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are some good stuff here in your sketchbook. I really think your coloring could benefit a lot from some blending, laying the "fat brushstrokes" blending it and them, laying some more "delicate brushstrokes" on higher contrast areas can really make a difference... You should try it someday.

Cheers! Keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa. I like the hand studies. and the imagination pic too! It definitely looks cool

as the shading, well, I can't comment much but I definitely want to see more. Keep drawing!

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx everyone for visiting my sketchbook. I'm busy doing some homework at the moment, so I'll get to replies later. And I'll be sure to post some new stuff as well as visit everyone's sketchbook. Later guys!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely improving eric!
    Would like to see you work on stuff for a longer period of time soon though
    And that SP took 10-15min?
    Damn Eric, I gotta do some speed paintings

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    katinki- Thx for the crit. I'll be sure to continue.
    Carbono- Thx, I'll be sure to give it a shot.
    Sung- Thx, I agree. I'll be posting more finished works soon, since I want to start up a portfolio. You should do some paintings, post them in a new sketchbook here.

Tried to follow the big flat brushes crit, but I didnt want to go further with it, so I could see if this is what you guys meant. Self portrait. 45 mins.

Edit: Now that I look back at this, it needs some chroma to make it pop!

Last edited by Envisor; September 21st, 2008 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added some yellow orange to liven it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the yellow orange pops too much, makes it seem like it doesn't belong in the picture. You should hint some yellows and oranges in your shadows, and don't forget the reflected light! I believe that would add some harmony. Also, there's a bit too much darkness in your cheek, lighten it up a bit with the yellow?

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your recent self portrait. I prefer the first one over the second. Is the yellow light source direct or indirect? Perhaps a little more subdued?

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the colors are working but i think the brush your using may be too small because theirs a lot of BG colours in places i dont think you want them
    idk who told me this but using a really big brush and a low opacity and work twordes really small and thick works a lot better for most people. its something i also have a problem working with
    your keeping busy and the practice is showing

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FearSelf- Your right, too much pop. I'll keep that in mind next time.
    Asatira- Thx, I'd have to agree with you. The second doesn't work well.
    Demo- Thx, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another 45 minute self portrait. I think I did better on this one, still messy though. I really need to start heeding to your guy's advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey it's been a while I wanted to start off by saying I believe that you're improving. I noticed that your use of lighting has greatly increased the quality of your digitals. All your experimenting has paid off. I think your self portraits are going really well. I suck at digital painting so I won't even pretend to know what I'm talking about Keep at it!

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my gosh. Your picture looks a bit creepy and mad. It looks different from the previous self portraits you showed. The nose is too squished, the face may have been at an angle, according to the nose, but the forehead does not suggest it, to me. I still think the cheek has too much darkness unless the light source is singular. You like dark self portraits?

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, these new ones are not bad at all, but my first critique would be put your opacity to 100 at once, and your flow to nothing less than 50. Also I trust you have a tablet, otherwise there will be serious complications. Even so I have seen awesome stuff that has been done by mouse though

SO firstly, you need to do more exercises. Like all the others of us. Anatomy is key. That way you learn proportion and you can pass that on to other things than purely anatomical studies, like figuring out the dimentions in the face. Also you should do some more colourstudies, as these helo train to eye on how to spot out colour.

WHen you do SP, you should do an underlying structure drawing first, then move on to the colours or alternativly the gray scale.

For now that is what I could come up with.

Keep in touch and I am excited to see your progress

-E

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep pushing.

=================================
    Sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, been a bit since i stopped by here. i'm really digging the improvement i'm seeing in here, your anatomy has improved greatly since i last dropped in, and those sps are all looking good, you're getting much better with colors and values now as well. just keep it up with all the studies and keep on doing what you're doing.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job at keeping up with your drawing/painting, I see improvement.
    I think med mentioned somewhere to try painting opaquely instead of layers of fuzz. Just a thought, I think it could hep your digital painting.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Up views are so much to work with. I say it's a good attempt, though the nose does seem a little wonky. Can't pin it down. I'm curious: what are you hoping to improve with the self portraits? (I should ask that of a lot of people)

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not posting earlier. I have a killer headache and I can't really look into any light or even this screen for that matter, for any long periods of time. So I'll do replies when my head isn't ready to explode. I did find time to do this landscape study. Thx for visiting guys, I'll repay with visits of my own.

Last edited by Envisor; September 23rd, 2008 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting sketchbook, and I can see a lot of improvement in your work.

I like the colours in this latest landscape, my only piece of advice would be to take one of these quick studies, and really work into the detail, seeing how far you can push it. It'd be interesting to see this done in your style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry still no replies yet, I've been trying to catch up on homework, I'll be sure to reply later tonight. But in the meantime, here's a book cover redo for my ad design concepts class. Can't say what book it is for legal reasons, but some of you may know. Its really messy right now, I need to bump up the contrast alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice to see you diving into some different stuff! the environment looks a bit flat, while the colours are nice the different planes are too seperated.
    the book cover has a very traditional feel to it. both composition and style wise. is that intentional? and is there a bird in the background with it's eye pierced on the rock? you said that it is a book cover - where will the typo go? i look forward to see it finished!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkchild- Been a while, thx for the crit.
    FearSelf- haha, I started off with my face at an angle, and I guess over a period of time, I lowered my face so I was staring at it head on. I'll be sure to watch out for that again. Thx.
    Mischeviouslittleelf-Thank you for the crit, I will get on more studies just as soon as I get caught back up with my homework. Your work is amazing by the way.
    humanNature6115-Thx, I will.
    thesadpencil- Thx so much. I appreciate the compliment.
    megadubitably- Yeah, I always start out that way, then I seem to just go over the entire painting again with opacity. Very stupid of me. Thx.
    Asatira- yeah, I started out at an angle, then I guess I got tired and my head went back down to straight on view without me noticing. As for what I hope to improve on, I want to learn how to see color and paint it rather than using the color picker and cheating. I should paint other things from life more often. I think I would learn more if I did that. Thx.
    Jacky-Boy- Thx for stopping by. I'll be doing more finished pieces soon, so keep in touch. Thx.
    katinki-Thx for the crit Kat. I was going for traditional. I cant wait to see it finished either, the assignment is such a headache.

I'll try to update in a few hrs or so, and then I'll go to everyone's sketchbook. I'm still trying to get caught up on my homework. Thx for stopping by everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Few drawings for Illustration Methods. Last ones a self portrait, but the right eye is fucked up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apple!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Sorry didn't come up here for a long time...
    that;s too bad, I hope you'll get well soon

That's a lot of really great pictures!I like all of them, but the apple is the most detailed of them all! I really admire the attention you paid to the apple.
    For the cover, I think I did have an idea...*grins* Anyway, love the style and the coloring! it sure gives a different feeling than the source book...

for the illustration, well, what I can say is, both of them looked..creepy.. maybe because lack of shading. And the first one's neck looks weird. The rest is fine, though.

I can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, lookinng good! lots of work!

what is the illustration methods class about? just portraits or will the subject change?
    and are they freehand or do you use a grid? you already said that your eye is off and the child is cross-eyed.

the apple looks juicy! something about the colours and the reflection makes him too shiny, nearly like plastic.

keep 'em comming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe. Your latest SP made me laugh. Glad to see some expressions being looked at. I can see how the eye is a little off. I do agree with Trefle on line only sketches don't always look great. Makes the child's teeth seem odd (and I think drawing teeth can be hard!) The apple looks really good. I'm going to a minor thing but important, the cast shadow could be a little smoother gradation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the expressions, and I love the apple, although I think the shadow needs a hint of red to help ground the apple more. I want to eat it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the cowboy and thats saying something i usually hate everything to do with them but i like yours but the one kid with the big head kind of scares me so keep it up

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2