Sketchbook: RUUHKIS sb - January 10th 2013
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: RUUHKIS sb - January 10th 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RUUHKIS sb - January 10th 2013

I'm an aspiring concept artist, currently located in Finland. Don't hesitate to leave critique and share your ideas!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ruuhkis; October 3rd, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's another one from today..I'm not sure how I can paint the sky smoothly as it lightens on its way to the horizon line, I really really really need advice on this one! also I'm not sure what brushes to use, or how much I'm supposed to use different opacities. I tried to capture the simple masses effectively. on the first piece I used 100% opacity all around, but when you look at Mullins' works or such..ah, never mind. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Critique desperately needed!

Last edited by ruuhkis; September 1st, 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dude, first of all, i wish you the best for your new fresh start, im sure its a good source of motivation for you. Those 2 landscapes are great , nice to see your doing studies. As for the brushes, i always prefer to work with high opacity when im sure of the colorr/tone im putting on, when sketching the color real loose and fast its a good idead to use maybe a lower opacity brush to blend quickly color together without worrying about the opacity setting... i like to use a hard brush with low opacity as a start to get a lot of color variation to start with... For smooth stuff such as the sky .. a big smooth airbrush would be good to mix those slight sky color variation. I really like the last one , it has a nice relazing feeling.. anyway, keep it up man !!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ruuhkis

If you are working with a tablet, and i think u are, keeping a few brushes set to pressure sensitivity in ur brushset is a good thing.
    Using this function doesnt mean u cant use the brush at full opacity since it will all depend on how hard u press the stylus.
    However u've got to control its pressure sensitivity so that u dont have to press it to hard to have very opaque brushstrokes when using those brushes. See what i mean?

How much I'm supposed to use different opacities.
    Opacity variaton is useful to mix and/or blend colors for instance. But i think its up to you to see how it works throughout experimentaions.
    However i think one should be careful not to be too shy with opacity set to pressure sensitivity since it can result in wishy-washy colors.

I'm not sure how I can paint the sky smoothly as it lightens on its way to the horizon line, I really really really need advice on this one!
    Really? In this situation i usually rely on the airbrush alot. Painting a smooth gradation with a brush with opacity set to pressure sensitivity will take alot of time.

I learnt some very useful things by wacthing those vids on speedpainting from imagination, even for landscapes.

And for loads of photo reference you have terra galleria.

Also i did a humble little tut in my SB, maybe u could find a few interesting things there.

Good luck to you!

Edit: i hadnt seen WhiteC's post, sorry for repeating a few things he said.

Last edited by SM; August 9th, 2008 at 10:49 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 491 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Put more hard edges on your enviros, becouse they look lil bit smoothy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Verehin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WhiteC, S.M., thanks...you guys are what this community is all about... and thanks to verehin too, I shouldn't have done that mistake I'll drop by your sketchbooks tomorrow when I have more time. I'm gonna dig into this info that you guys posted and I think it's gonna take a while...meanwhile, here's a piece I did to chill out. it's a study of Le Samouraļ's movie poster from the 60's. brown paper, white and red+green acrylics, a loose pencil sketch underneath

Last edited by ruuhkis; August 9th, 2008 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm learning...
    It's funny how my eye can't see the colors as they appear. Bananas are yellow, right? and when there's a light source of different color, the surface of the banana doesn't appear as yellow anymore. but since I know they appear as yellow in normal lighting, the back of my head has big trouble seeing another color cast on it. in other words you could say that I have difficulty in seeing things as flat 2-d designs.

As I've painted mountains I've noticed how the mountains are quite blue in color. in this next painting there's nothing than blue on the mountain on the left. does the blue sky really have such a tremendous effect on it? I began painting it with..desaturated brown? without even realizing its true color in this lighting.

even the shadow areas in the green trees are blue. does distance, 'aerial perspective' have anything to do with this?

+one quick sketch..testing brushes and swift working, mainly

Last edited by ruuhkis; August 10th, 2008 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, nice to see you update this often hehe. Biggest tip i can give you while looking at those last 2, do you see all those small white spots not completely covered by color that pop there and there ? Im pretty sure you started with a white background on both images, you should try fillinmg your background with a color that suits the global palette of the image ( sky color for instances, since it take almost half the canvas ). If you use a white background and apply a color with low opacity, that color will tend to desaturate really quickly, like those orange in the 2nd painting. Good job anyway, keep at it you will improve real quick if you understand how to improve. Lear all about color theory at the same time anmd try to apply things you have learn in each painting.. like i told to some guy too, photo / life colorstudies are great, because it challenges you to guess the color, and when you are not sure about what the color is, you can just go on the photo and color pic , not to just copy the color , but to understand how that color is made. ( Hue, saturation, lightness. ) soon you will understand the link between those 3 values and the light in your paintings.
    Keep it up !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WhiteC: THANKS for taking all this time to reply in my humble sb I absolutely agree about those white spots, I'm gonna follow that advice and fill the canvas with dominating colors before anything else. most certainly that will also make me feel more confident considering I don't have to go thru the 'staring at the white paper' phase. again, big thanks

here's one painting for tonight...got some paper stuff drawn as well but can't post it at the moment. just some cloth drawing failure so I guess I can let that slip aside.. but MAN am I learning! I guess when you're new to something, you can't really get a grip of it right away. but you do it until. That's the key!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something's not right about this one...and school's killing me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quickie. critique would be most welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup ruuhkis, post # 10 is looking good, nice brushwork in it. I see that you draw a lot of landscape with water in them.. it would be wise to study a bit how reflection work if you want to draw realistic water =) Water is usually of a colro close to the sky color, with highlights where the sun its. Anyway, lot of improvements already, next step would be to do them quicker ( and maybe a bit smaller if you want to only grasp quick colors ) or try to learn how to add details in them. Keep it up !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your enviornments, I suck hard at them. no crit here cause I have no room to talk, also love that charcoal or w/e that is of the man at the bottom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WhiteC Thanks for the advice..you hit the nail on the head about painting water, good call. I'll keep following your advice

ChrisBefeld hey, we're here to learn! one can have valuable advice to share even if one isn't equal to another in skill. if you have any crits, advice or opinions then definitely don't be ashamed to share 'em cheers!

here's one that took 25 minutes...I'll paint more tonight and follow WhiteC's advice..quickies incoming, that is.
    by the way, seeing colors is again dammmmn hard!

oh yeah, and this sketchbook will be daily from now on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 more for tonight, both of them took 15 minutes. I enjoyed painting these, but I'm still a little disappointed when I look at them. I can do better than this... which I will prove in my next update now I just have to figure out what went wrong. perhaps I should have exaggerated the contrast between soft and hard edges? more tiny, yet fast details to emphasize the roughness of the rock? true awareness of the direction of the source of light?

I'm trying to go through color theory every day, at least 30 minute reading sessions..I found a cool website for that. I also try to fit in some life drawing to keep the hand busy.

The one Big reason I'm posting stuff here is to improve as much as possible, so if you have even the slightest idea or crit then spit it out I hunger for advice!

Last edited by ruuhkis; August 20th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    life drawings, these are a bit out of focus...I'll post some more up tonight

Last edited by ruuhkis; August 21st, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    15 min each...felt like I was really running out of time too soon...gotta analyze these carefully

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will neither be able to paint in photoshop nor take photos of my drawings tomorrow, but I'll post Saturday's drawings on Sunday.

all I could come up with tonight...gotta hit the road!

Last edited by ruuhkis; August 22nd, 2008 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    from this weekend..

Last edited by ruuhkis; August 24th, 2008 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great digital work here. I would maybe suggest that you try and painting that you spend a lot of time on and try and get in more detail. try maybe working on a painting for 3 sessions.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Caffeine_stream For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Caffeine_stream a great idea, I'll start right away!

this is really all I got for tonight, got some paper stuff that I'm too lazy to post. here's a painting that I'm gonna have some quality time with. I'll try to use some color theory stuff that I've learned...mainly about color relationships....we'll see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some from today...I'm so tired, gotta hit the pillow so I don't catch the flu..zzzzZZzz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more! more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been I'll for the past few days, thus this sketchbook has lack of updates..I was supposed to post these pages yesterday but I didn't have access to a camera. but now, here goes..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more. I'm posting these in 2 chunks so the page wouldn't drown in images

I've been doing some thinking on learning how to learn...I think I should apply more of this kind of thinking to my work habits. I've noticed that sometimes I draw without even a goal on getting better at what I'm drawing. this kind of filthy habit has to change! whenever I start drawing/painting something, I should do it for sheer joy and improvement, and not only because I've marked it on my daily schedule. if I can modify my thinking completely into this, I'm on my way to success and improvement!

Last edited by ruuhkis; August 30th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cloud of ink!

I've been drawing clothes with inks, to chill and relax, get more confidence to my lines and focus on what to keep and what to leave out. and I must say, I'm really having some great fun! when you're doing these you have to eyeball the proportions...how tall the people standing are, their heads' relationship to the rest of the body...the shoulders' width in comparison to the hip especially with women, etcetera....
    and I'm also trying to make the drawings more interesting as well, changing the position of the figure in new ways is great. just adjusting the weight from one leg to another has great results. perhaps because it lets us see the mood of the lady in the drawing? I think I'll be adding some mood to these, definitely...it just takes a lot more studying of poses, hands and expressions. but that's why I'm here!
    I'm also fascinated of making the drawing effective as a flat design on paper. how the mid-values are composed, where to put little accent spots, stuff like that. right now I don't have a formula for what makes a drawing look good in those terms, I'd like to hear any opinions on this! I mainly just eyeball what looks good and what doesn't, trying to keep it kinda balanced..using black only for certain, well-considered areas to attract attention and for cast shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by and the advice, Ruuhkis.

I'll have to sit down and do some experimentation with that link you sent me.

Nice sketchbook so far, btw. You're doing great on the practice with color and light.

Artists have such a magnificent gift...breathing life into something with just simple lines.

The Sketchbook: Life through Line

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EBrown big thanks

stuff from today...I feel like I'm learning fast and it feels good! although there's something still wrong, especially about the last one in this update. can't put a finger on the flaws right now though, gotta observe it more closely later on!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 18