Sketchbook: RUUHKIS sb - January 10th 2013 - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    comments, CRITS, anything! that's it for now, I'll stop by tomorrow.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm. I need to pay more attention to my errors...tho I had fun doing this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been drawing hands....still haven't finished that book!! jeez, it's taking me forever...but I'm learning tons from it. my lines are getting tighter..and I'm taking a lot of time analyzing the drawings rather than just copying the image on the paper...using overlapping is great, it challenges you to know the correct locations of the muscles in the big mass..there are a lot of 'tricks' that I've picked up while drawing these. more of these later. right now I'm just burning through papers, it great fun but it looks boring and posting them takes so much time, so...I probably won't be posting them too much!

anyways, here are just a few.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have nothing smart to say...
    but it's a little sorrowfull that all this fun stuff has gone without comments..

That is one fine butt in post #62.

Maybe think more about gesture of the body; you too seem to be studying a lot of body parts intensely separately, but then when brought together it doesn't feel "right" as a whole. The girl in the last post is the drawing I'm thinking of the most - oki, it's a sketch, but still... what is she doing? The body parts don't really look wrong, yet her posture doesn't... convince.
    Try to always attention to how people carry themselves, how people draw different attitudes and tell stories in just the gesture...
    If that makes any sense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dmitri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lots of good studies in here, you are improving well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dmitri you're 100% right! too often I just focus on the technique and making it 'correct' while ignoring the overall feeling...art should really be about giving the viewer something to think about and delivering feelings, which I often forget. you're right about the drawing of the lady, basically it's 'correct' but yet doesn't make any sense. I'll spend time thinking about this, thanks for the great comment man.

cakeypigdog thanks for the encouragement!

here's something I've done between studies...animating is really something I should do more, it forces you to really think harder and draw faster...concentrating on the feeling rather than polishing it and making it correct to the max. I could imagine that exaggeration is a big part of this too..but I gotta get some foundation built up below before I'll dig deep into this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there! wonderful hand studies! more of those!!
    the animations are fun too!!
    keep it coming!
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, awesome studies man.
    I really hope you keep this up, it's a joy to see you trying out so many different things.
    Are those hands copied from Hogarths book on dynamic hands? I've been meaning to get that book for ages now.
    Also any chance you could tell me which book those arms at bottom of page 1 were copied from?
    Thanks in advance mate, your SB's been a nice big inspirational kick up the ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice progress, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress, good to see you using cross-contour lines to describe form. If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion, vary the weight and spacing of the lines as they move around the form. I like using a cheap ball point pen when inking as it allows me to control the line weight a bit more than a rolling ball or hard tipped marker.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oomgawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings dude! I'm especially fond of the lines and the hatching.
    Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Question: what were you studying from for your drapery exercises? thanks!

The greatest reward for me is when people look at my stuff and feel inspired enough to help me learn by harsh critiques, they will never fall on deaf or defensive ears and will be applied post haste! thanks in advance!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=134240

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah, 6 comments! and a star rating! what have I done to deserve this ...my day is now made!

bigfooTrooper thanks!

Jacky-Boy hi, the hands are from George Bridgman's book on hands...also the arms were from one of his books, with a bit of customising of my own =) ...you find this book inspirational? that's a BIG compliment, thanks!!

Lakka thanks, I intend to..

oomgawa thanks, yeah I ought to do some studies on hatching...possibly from the old masters or something..thanks for the tip and the reminder

PieMonster thanks, I will!

rebelionature right here ---> http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/sear...rtist%20Course

here is some stuff from life...also a page of hands which I just scribbled from my imagination...trying to apply the things I've learned to my drawings from imagination. I'm still not done studying that book, I should speed up a little and quit slacking! being lazy is something that just eventually wears me off and I just feel useless if I'm not drawing or doing something else useful...time to rearrange my timetable!

I'm not completely satisfied with these drawings of course, there could have been more simplification in some areas and value adjustments in other areas..as well as the obvious perspective issues..but I'm leaving them as

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ruuhkis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the desk study the computer screen doesn't seem like it's affected by the perspective, as all the lines line up.
    That lamp is nice though.
    Some of those arms look broken since the curves on the thumb side are a little over-exaggerated, like the middle bottom one.

The lines are awesome though!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PieMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PieMonster I was referring to the second one, there the lines don't seem to line up..or even if they did meet at a vanishing point, the effect would be overly exaggerated since I wasn't so close to the lamp. you're right about the hand issue, I gave it some thought and hopefully I'll steer away from that mistake from now on! thanketies

some hands from today...some drawn at school...drawing during lessons is something I haven't been doing too much, I think this'll be a new habit of mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on those hands,
    Cheers for replying so quickly, i really need to check out those George Bridgman books sometime

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    love the studies and thanks for the inspiration
    in cakeypigdog's sketchbook. i will do studies like you
    said 50/50 copy/sketching. thanks again! ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jacky-Boy thanks, you really ought to

MattGamer I'm glad I could help! actually, I'm very glad I could help

haven't updated in a long while...mainly because I've kept my mind open for many other things as well besides drawing lines on paper. I've observed how animation is made well, also camera angles in movies and how they affect us psychologically.

I've noticed that in animation (as well as in any form of art) you have to make clear what kind of a feeling you are trying to convey...there may be several things you want to tell with the set of pictures.
    for example, as I've observed the mastery of the animation series Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin...if there is a bear that prepares a strike with its paw..and you know it's massive in size and full of power..and it's surely frightening to the one that's about to receive the punch. you have to use whatever means possible to describe and depict these emotions. there could be one camera angle shooting the speeding paw...if you want to depict the strike's frightening effect then you might want to close-up on the victim's frightened look on his face. and let's say the victim gets out of the strike's way..then you could depict the power of the bear by exaggerating the impact the paw takes with the ground...

it's really all about thinking what kind of a feeling and message you want to send with your drawings, then using whatever means necessary to depict those feelings as well as possible. if it's animation that we're talking about, then music also has to fit in perfectly. every little part of the scene should work for and emphasize the overall feeling.

I think art is about sending a message and communicating with the viewer/listener. all of these psychological things I've gone through are supported in every form of art, in my opinion... what makes art forms differ from each other is that they use different tools... visual arts may create abstraction with lines to describe something he wants to tell... a musician can use...well, I don't know much about the terminology of music, but I do know that, say, different combinations of notes can depict feelings from sadness and sorrow to nostalgy and joy. in my opinion the principles in different art forms, the 'deeper meaning' of them are the same. only the tools differ from each other.

all of this probably sounds quite hypocritical since I haven't got much experience in this field yet...but I think I'm still on the right track!

here are some drawings for fun...and studies. there are some sketches of a cover drawing which I'm preparing for the school dances, one of which (the one below left) I'm going to finish up. after I've finished GB's book I'm moving on to landscape painting and I'll get stuff more polished. I might update this thing tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 more...dam head sizes :/ but I'll get over it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hand studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's an animation I made in Imageready/Photoshop CS2. it's a part of a bigger animation so it's not going to be as primitive as this...this one is much like the one I posted before, this is very basic so I'm going to do a lot of experimenting with this one!

CRITS would be very appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a long, stressful and exhausting exam week at school, but I'm getting over that now...I barely had any time to draw since I'm trying to get good grades...here are some from today and from the times my nose wasn't too glued to the books. I won't post these in one dump so that the page doesn't drown in images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hand studies (lame photos, MAYBE I should get a new camera ) and stuff from imagination...I've started my 20th sketchbook by the way! I'm filling it and my 21st one at the same time, I usually pour different kinds of ideas into different books...call me old mannered if you like oh yeah, and the proportions on the 3rd page really aren't..good...well, I can comfort myself with the fact that those were drawn at school under pressure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've also spent a lot of time reading Game Maker's apprentice. one of my long-term goals is to some day make a game which includes a in-depth story, something like an adventure game like Curse of the Monkey Island. making a comic is one of my little dreams too.
    there's some text in Finnish..I studied a map in Syphon Filter 2 (PSX) and learned a few good things on how to make a level interesting.

translations...: "The game takes good care of describing the opponents as complete human beings. They are people doing their jobs, just like our Gabe Logan."

"The gameplay stays fresh thanks to some of the big changes that the player faces throughout the game and the minor details attached to them."

"Every little detail must enhance the feeling and theme of each level (unless you're looking for contrast)."

"Don't forget about smooth transition! (unless you're looking for sudden contrast)"

"Challenge -------> The player has to know, what kind of a goal he will achieve after beating the challenge.

"The completion of the challenge ------> Reward

"The contrast caused by easiness and difficulty?"

"The pacing isn't very surprising, but it works - you have to remember, that the level is supposed to be fast-paced and there is really no room for breaks."

"The pacing could also be taken care of in a manner that the scenes are composed by looking at their importance and that way investigating their realationship to each other. There can be some blank space inbetween if the whole package doesn't suffer from this."

I hope that made some sense. Now I'm going to bed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hihihi hehehe hohoho huhuhu

excell-ento work, keep up those sketchbooks and studies

selfportrait then and then would be interesting

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nettle_Mountain thanks!!

here's a loose update for today...hopefully I'll get some tight shit wrapped up for tomorrow!

I'm noticing that I really need to get some composition in my brain...that life drawing is just so not good. also, after I've finished the book of hands I'm moving on to painting hardcore...both digital and traditional paintings. I'm getting Wacom Intuos3 for Christmas, so we all know what that means. no sleep, that is

books I might be getting for Christmas.:
    Mastery: The Keys to Long-Term Success and Fulfillment (George Burr
    Leonard)

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (Scott McCloud)

The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and
    Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion, and Internet
    Animators (Richard Williams)

Rebel Without a Crew: Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker with $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player (Robert Rodriguez)

Zen in the Art of Writing (Ray Bradbury)

Writing the Natural Way: Turn the Task of Writing Into the Joy of Writing (Tyler Volk)

Last edited by ruuhkis; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..guess what? more hands! this book will be finished after about 3 more updates.

crits would be very appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff man! I really like that you are playing with different approches, trying new things. Just keep on doing that bridgman stuff, the studies look really nice, just keep on rocking!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloominati thanks, yeah trying out new things keeps it fresh and exciting, which is what it's meant to be like

finished that damn book, now we'll have to figure out where to start next...I might have to revise the book again some time, but I think I've got the most of it in my brain now. there are some muscles that I'm now aware of and how they function, and the bony structure beneath the wrist is a bit mysterious. I'm also not sure how muscles of the arm are connected to the wrist and what are the locations of those tendons, but we'll figure out and memorize that later on.

here are some experimental studies...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and the rest of the bunch.

crits would be very much appreciated!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 18