Sketchbook: RUUHKIS sb - January 10th 2013 - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: RUUHKIS sb - January 10th 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purb36 thanks, yeah I've read it. but I don't remember all too well what's in it, I'd probably find new nuggets of information if I read it now, now that I have got more mileage. I'm actually reading Creative Illustration right now, maybe I'll switch back to the other one heheh.
    I absolutely agree about what you said about finishing! as I recall, Richard Schmid talked about the same thing in his book. I think treating art as a language solves a lot of problems, I constantly compare art to giving a speech... "if this painting was a speech, how well would it get its point across?", stuff like that. but the more I think about art the better I realize how much there's philosophical thinking about art that I must do... thanks for the comment!

hunchback yum, thanksss

dleoblack thanks! I don't know about that but I'm working on them...

mike butkus thanks! I think you're doing a huge favor to other artists when you encourage them on this site, it will give them a lot of motivation. much appreciated!

Metal Fingers cheers

sharp_cuttR thank you, I'll have to experiment more with the textures though. but basic stuff comes first, dessert second

I've had some personal problems in life, hence the lack of updates... time to pull my act together and just start working, I've done my share of worrying over life!

there's a ton of studies after Mort Drucker (and various artists from MAD Magazine), but it just doesn't feel right to post drawings that are copied from another artists' work. I've also attended a life drawing class, woo! there are some 10-minute poses in the update... there might be a few proportion issues. (the legs are a bit too long in the first one)

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ruuhkis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to you posting again

The guy with the explosion on head and road is neat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretzel aye that piece was a new challenge, combining watercolor and gouache in new ways... I really had no idea what gouache was really capable of.

some experimental stuff... I'll just post whatever new stuff I have.

Last edited by ruuhkis; October 28th, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like the problems in my personal life are finally starting to fade away, although there's still a lot of stress, because I'm facing a lot of new stuff in life - I'm not in school (so for the moment I can't just lean back safely, gotta look for schools and think about what I wanna do with my life), got employed at minimum wage (the problem is that I might not even get a penny from this job because of some byrocracy shit... at least I'll get work experience to my resume), going to the army for half a year in January - stuff like that. but that's ok, since I feel like I'm going to be a lot stronger mentally after all of this!

anyway, I think right now the best thing to do is to just stay active, work, learn new stuff, live solely for myself and have fun. and most of all - draw!

I've been keeping a keen eye on robogabo's thread, and I'm starting to realize how amazing his sketchbook is - daily updates, top quality stuff. I admire how active he (she?) is, he must be having a lot of fun with his art experiments. I think I should do the same...keep updating this sketchbook MUCH more often, and not be afraid to post blunders as well. after all, this is a place to LEARN from both our successes and mistakes.

in short, after this huge art slump I'll just keep this thread alive and going! as I posted before, I'll just update with whatever I can come up with.

here are some thoughts that I wrote at my blog after looking at these pictures for a while, just in case someone's interested...

"A lot of times I start an image in B&W, and add color later on. My painting skills are nowhere close to begin painting right away on a blank canvas.

I find that a strong silhouette is essential to a powerful composition (as are readable and logical value patterns!). On the first image, I established a calm, horizontal silhouette (foreground area) against the background, and the vertical figure catches the attention of the viewer. The second image favors a triangular silhouette (much like how Frazetta liked to compose some of his images). Stable and strong.

It's interesting to learn how different aspects of composition affect the final picture. I think all of these factors are tools (silhouette, value pattern, "spoke-wheeling", contrasts) that we can use to tell the viewer whatever it is that we want to tell, and to be as straight-forward about it as we possibly can. But you have to notice that if you build something only from your tools, you are limited by them and will create something unique only by luck. We must master the tools so that we don't have to think about them (be it composition or technique), and create things solely from our values and personalities in order to come up with something that is truly something of our own.

It's truly essential to keep in mind that visual art is an visual language, and everything we add to a picture is like adding letters and words to a phrase. A final picture is a definite statement of something that we had in mind. I believe here lies the ultimate challenge: we must convey our ideas in their purest form - anything else is something that we did not intend to say! The lack of proper technique is fatal to delivering a clear statement of an idea - bad technique attracts negative attention which, in turn, destroys the big picture; contaminates the pure idea. We must master technique to protect the innocent purity of our ideas.

In short: master the tools so you don't have to think about them (technical as well as compositional tools) so that you can convey your idea directly as it is, in its purest form."

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like that last piece a lot - good values there I think, giving a real impression of depth. Keep up the hard work, nothing to crit here, although I'd love to see even more pencils! (just a personal thing)

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThomasM thanks! I'm sure there will be lots of pencils sketches here

I'm keeping the ball rolling and getting my work flow back, trying to figure out what photoshop is capable of for fun, doesn't look very good yet though. flipping back and forth between foundational skills and fancy tricks... I guess that's good for a change, keeps things fresh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today's bunch, plus tons of reading Richard Schmid's Alla Prima. the book is brilliant! (the landscape is from ref, there's something bugging me about the rendering of the light side of the mountain...shouldn't be that slick-looking. the chick is non-ref'd)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving this stuff! And agree 1oo% with what you were saying about mastering technique. If you don't already have it, quickly nab "Drawing Scenery: landscapes and seascapes" by Jack Hamm (1972). In the same way that you mention getting to the purity of a message in a picture, this is how well Jack Hamm wrote and illustrated his lessons. So the book is thin and friendly, but dense with love for his fellow artist. ...and it's affordable.

I'm enjoying everything in these last two posts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to William b. Hand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy moly. I can't believe a month passed by since my last update...

William b. Hand hey man, thanks. I might buy that book, seems like it has got some praising reviews on amazon!

I have to admit I haven't been drawing much. nowadays I'm doing a lot of soul searching, thinking about what I want to become as a human being, setting goals...

I've also studied color theory at http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/color18a.html - very tight information!

just a space filler this time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as shocking as it may sound, I haven't been drawing. I'm using my time on mental, emotional and spiritual growth right now, but I also observe art and life around me....
    just a simple sketch page. happy new year

edit:: I'm in the army now so I won't be seen around much... I'm also very confused and "lost" in my life now, hopefully I'll find my way back on track some day. sigh...

Last edited by ruuhkis; February 14th, 2011 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Its been a long time since i last visited your sketchbook and i think it deserves more attention from my behalf. I read through your latest posts and i totally agree with most of the things you said. However I think you have a bit too scientific point of view to art than I do. You think about things a lot and your approach to art is a bit too formal to my taste (though i cant see it in your art which is fine by me) Ive found that taking a bit unserious aspect to art has helped me a lot improvement wise, id suggest you try that (unless you have already) All the best, i hope you keep up

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well Parsakoira def has some great advice. as to not repeat what he said, i would consider it most definitely. I love your digital sketches, nice brushes/textures, and value.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    come on....update this f``ker.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to drop by and say good luck with your service.
    Elämän parasta aikaa.

Love your brushwork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So darn creative! Thanx for sharing all the awesome work ... but please come back and post some more!!!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude good luck in the army man you have some mad skills would love to see more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone, thanks for the great advice and encouragement!

here's a teeny-weeny update. some stuff from this week, sketches from imagination and life. (the bear drawings are from the nagareboshi gin manga... which is great!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...more...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet update! still diggen your lines and the animal anatomy looks great.

But sometimes the perskeptive/foreshortening in some of the figures seems off.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress through the years, man!

Seems like you make your biggest leaps after your biggest struggles and after your intense study.

It's been fun reading your thread from the beginning.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

25. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    impressive. damn impressive!! DAMN impressive. wonderful work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 878 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have talent sir! Great updates.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some impressive work, really like those quick sketches.

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

Do not Click DETONATE Do not Click

Deviantart page

Gotta sketchem all blog

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful things in here. I find both your paintings and drawings to be very sculptural. Or rather, feels like you work with other mediums as they were clay. I mean, sure... most of us who want to make realistic images try to think as a sculptor. But I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice work everything seems to have a really solid form and shape good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretzel thanks! I'll look into it.

p sage for some reason I really like what you just said. that motivates me to keep on learning and searching for more..many thanks!

DariusDs hahaha, thanks

mike butkus thanks mike!! I've got to buy that new book of yours some day.

palladium thanks, yeah I really enjoyed drawing them!

Greip yeah, I know what you mean. as far as 3-dimensional portrayal goes, I think hearing that the work feels sculptural is the best compliment I could get, so thanks I still have to do a lot of work regarding simple stuff, like quickly establishing forms correctly according to the horizon line, and being able to quickly imagine 3d spaces correctly in my mind (especially interiors) so that it comes natural to me, etc. still ways to go...

prsnsweeney and Ludic thank you!

here's a concept painting I started and finished today, plus some steps if there's anyone curious...

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ruuhkis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one more sketch for today, very experimental - which means I'm probably gonna hate it tomorrow! plus my comfy workspace... moved my stereos in the closet so now my art books finally fit in...

art books I now own:

John Singer Sargent: Figures and lanscapes
    Ellenberger: Animal Anatomy
    Selected Paintings and Drawings by Frank Frazetta
    Mike Butkus: How to Draw Zombies
    Mike Butkus: How to Draw Vampires
    Film Posters of the 60's
    San Smith: (watercolorist's handbook)
    Bradley: Drawing People
    Carl Larsson: Life and Art
    Ralph Cleminson: (The Skill of Calligraphy)
    Maughan: Drawing the Head
    Digital Art Masters vol. 3
    David Rubins: The Human Figure
    Hultgren: The Art of Animal Drawing
    Richard Williams: The Animator's Survival Kit
    Muybridge: Animals in Motion
    Burne Hogarth: Dynamic Figure Drawing
    Burne Hogarth: Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery
    Joe Weatherly: The Weatherly Guide to Drawing Animals
    George Bridgman: Drawing from Life
    George Bridgman: The Human Machine
    George Bridgman: Constructive Anatomy
    George Bridgman: The Book of a Hundred Hands
    D'Amelio: Perspective Drawing Handbook
    Watson: Creative Perspective for Artists and Illustrators
    James Gurney: Imaginative Realism
    James Gurney: Color and Light
    The Marvel Art of Marko Djurdjevic
    Scott McCloud: Understanding Comics
    Peck: Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
    (some Finnish book on drawing, very basic)
    Harald Arnkil: Värit havaintojen maailmassa
    Nicholas Ganz: Graffiti World - new edition
    Hart: Draw Manga! Shounen
    Frank Frazetta: Rough Work
    Preston Blair: Cartoon Animatino
    Renate Ulmer: Alfons Mucha
    Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters
    Markku Valkonen: Kultakausi [Finland's Golden Age in art]
    Onni Oja: Piirtämisen taito
    Richard Schmid: Alla Prima - Everything I Know About Painting
    Alex Toth: Genius, Isolated
    Ilja Repin [selected works]

hope someone finds that list useful!
    Andrew Loomis' figure drawing book should arrive in a couple of weeks, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that creature is cool and i like the step by step

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 18