Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' Book of Doodles and Things (2008-Present)

chriskot is offline non-dishwasher safe, keep away from open flame
    Thanks

Chris' Book of Doodles and Things (2008-Present)

My name is Chris and this is my sketchbook.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chriskot; June 3rd, 2015 at 03:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    crazy crazy

Thanks
    So I told myself that I needed to draw more from life and I did a bit today. Not much, just a few objects from around my living room. An empty pop can, my watch, an earbud-type headphone, and a chair. Pictures taken with my webcam because my scanner is in an inconvenient state.

EDIT: Six more pictures moved from post #1. The following text is from the original post:

Fortress - My most recent of these images, although I have learned a lot about colouring things in Photoshop since I did this.
    Toothy Monster - Not much to say about this one. Old.
    Faces - I commonly experiment with different styles. This picture is over a year old.
    Big Page of Stuff - When I become bored and I have a lot time on my hands I will sometimes take out a sheet of paper and try to draw nonstop. This is my twelfth page of such doodlings.
    Hands - My scanner wasn't working so I just snapped a picture with my webcam, hence the crappy quality. I really need to practice drawing from life way more often.
    Swirly Thing - My most recent attempt at doing some sort of abstract design.
    Last edited by chriskot; April 24th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks
    A few more small things. I haven't really had a lot of time to draw over the past few days.

I added a quick video cassette and some weird decorative vase-thing to the page of items from my living room.

Also, I began colouring some lines I did of some six-legged creature. The line art is at least a few months old, but it seemed like something that would be good to work on. As I said earlier, I think that I've learned a few little things about digital colouring since I did the items posted at the beginning of my sketchbook. This isn't done yet. It would go faster with a tablet, but unfortunately I'm stuck with a mouse for now.

Thanks
    Good to see you doing still life. There was a point when I did nothing but still life for about two months, I ended up learning a fair bit of information. However we should probably all strive to study it on a constant basis no matter what point we are at with our art.

For yours the main thing I feel you should focus on is the perspective, the objects are coming through as sort of isographic which is something you don't want if your striving for realism. Make sure that the object gets bigger as it comes closer, you'll notice the effects of perspective in the smallest of objects.

Also take your time with each object. I suggest spending a good 45min-1 hr for each drawing. Its better to think of each object you do as an entire piece of art that is done in about an hour. Dedicate the whole page to that one object instead of drawing it in the corner of your paper. Then once you get better at drawing one object try arranging multiple objects in a single composition. Pay attention to how their shapes interact with and affect one another, and pay close attention to the lighting situation cause by their interaction.

Just some thoughts, and things I picked up on. Hope it helps

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. I'll work on that.

I'm guessing that the big orthographic perpetrators were the can and the cassette? Now that I look at them again, they do look completely devoid of perspective, so I should probably work on that some. I think that I did it a bit better with the chair.

I actually intended to work my way up by doing some small and simple things first, and then start on more complex objects like my couch, which would obviously take up more page space to get some of the detail in. I've pretty much filled a page with these first six, so I guess that it is time to step it up.

Thanks
    I think that the six-legged guy is finished, so I'm posting it. I highly doubt that I'll work on it any more, and it already looks much better (to me) than my previous attempts at working in Photoshop. The speckled brush that I used to texturize the skin in a couple of places is also my first attempt at a custom brush, which I produced about an hour ago.

One of my biggest artistic weaknesses is drawing people, so I've been doing a bit of practice with that whenever I can over the past few days. I downloaded a PDF of Andrew Loomis' "Drawing the Head and Hands" and it's been helping quite a bit. I'll post my attempts at faces when I have a few more done.

Thanks
    I've decided to delay posting my head sketches until I can properly scan them in. I'm trying to cut down on the crappy webcam pics.

Until then, here's some digital stuff. A few more old line art creatures that I decided to paint in Photoshop CS3. These ones were done faster and sloppier than those that I've already posted. Still using a mouse. I don't think that any of them took more than a couple of hours, at most. The first monster is my favourite. I'll put more work into the eyeball and alien things later.

Thanks
    Alright, here are the first few Loomis faces, as well as another endless doodle page. I dotted the five faces on the first image that I thought were best, to hopefully help me see what I was doing wrong in the worse ones. The doodling page doesn't have much new on it, but it's newer than the first one that I posted.

Thanks
    I'm really loving those 5 digital paintings, the colours in them are amazing. Something i'm sure you've picked up on from doing pixel art. definately looking forward to seeing more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rognvaldr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rognvaldr View Post
    I'm really loving those 5 digital paintings, the colours in them are amazing. Something i'm sure you've picked up on from doing pixel art. definately looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks! I never really thought about it before, but I do pick my Photoshop colours in the same way that I pick my palette for pixel art. I've been doing pixel art longer then I've been doing this, so I think that I initially tried to carry over as many techniques as possible and kept the ones that worked.

Here's a couple of quick and simple experiments with 2-point perspective in Photoshop, as well as a Smiley done in MS Paint and few pieces of pixel art just to make this post longer. The last piece of pixel art is the only really recent one, which I did for this activity here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelat...p?topic=6814.0

University starts at 8:30 on Thursday morning for me, but I think that I might have one more thing to post before then.

Thanks
    Well, University has begun. I'm taking physical science but I'll still try to do as much drawing as possible.

There are a few things that I'll scan in later, but for now here's an update on the eyeball-thing and a quick mechanical box. I think that it looks better with the lineart still over top, considering I didn't get very far.

Thanks
    Hey man, I love the Prom inspired stuff, some pretty sweet color choices. For your other drawings, try and start with larger shapes and then go back and refine the lines. Try and think about the structures underneath as simpler shapes, such as circles and squares first and I think you could really pull a lot more out of the hands and such.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast