Sketchbook: Chris' Book of Doodles and Things

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chris' Book of Doodles and Things

Last edited by chriskot; April 12th, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crazy crazy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I told myself that I needed to draw more from life and I did a bit today. Not much, just a few objects from around my living room. An empty pop can, my watch, an earbud-type headphone, and a chair. Pictures taken with my webcam because my scanner is in an inconvenient state.

EDIT: Six more pictures moved from post #1. The following text is from the original post:

Fortress - My most recent of these images, although I have learned a lot about colouring things in Photoshop since I did this.
    Toothy Monster - Not much to say about this one. Old.
    Faces - I commonly experiment with different styles. This picture is over a year old.
    Big Page of Stuff - When I become bored and I have a lot time on my hands I will sometimes take out a sheet of paper and try to draw nonstop. This is my twelfth page of such doodlings.
    Hands - My scanner wasn't working so I just snapped a picture with my webcam, hence the crappy quality. I really need to practice drawing from life way more often.
    Swirly Thing - My most recent attempt at doing some sort of abstract design.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by chriskot; April 24th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more small things. I haven't really had a lot of time to draw over the past few days.

I added a quick video cassette and some weird decorative vase-thing to the page of items from my living room.

Also, I began colouring some lines I did of some six-legged creature. The line art is at least a few months old, but it seemed like something that would be good to work on. As I said earlier, I think that I've learned a few little things about digital colouring since I did the items posted at the beginning of my sketchbook. This isn't done yet. It would go faster with a tablet, but unfortunately I'm stuck with a mouse for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you doing still life. There was a point when I did nothing but still life for about two months, I ended up learning a fair bit of information. However we should probably all strive to study it on a constant basis no matter what point we are at with our art.

For yours the main thing I feel you should focus on is the perspective, the objects are coming through as sort of isographic which is something you don't want if your striving for realism. Make sure that the object gets bigger as it comes closer, you'll notice the effects of perspective in the smallest of objects.

Also take your time with each object. I suggest spending a good 45min-1 hr for each drawing. Its better to think of each object you do as an entire piece of art that is done in about an hour. Dedicate the whole page to that one object instead of drawing it in the corner of your paper. Then once you get better at drawing one object try arranging multiple objects in a single composition. Pay attention to how their shapes interact with and affect one another, and pay close attention to the lighting situation cause by their interaction.

Just some thoughts, and things I picked up on. Hope it helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. I'll work on that.

I'm guessing that the big orthographic perpetrators were the can and the cassette? Now that I look at them again, they do look completely devoid of perspective, so I should probably work on that some. I think that I did it a bit better with the chair.

I actually intended to work my way up by doing some small and simple things first, and then start on more complex objects like my couch, which would obviously take up more page space to get some of the detail in. I've pretty much filled a page with these first six, so I guess that it is time to step it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that the six-legged guy is finished, so I'm posting it. I highly doubt that I'll work on it any more, and it already looks much better (to me) than my previous attempts at working in Photoshop. The speckled brush that I used to texturize the skin in a couple of places is also my first attempt at a custom brush, which I produced about an hour ago.

One of my biggest artistic weaknesses is drawing people, so I've been doing a bit of practice with that whenever I can over the past few days. I downloaded a PDF of Andrew Loomis' "Drawing the Head and Hands" and it's been helping quite a bit. I'll post my attempts at faces when I have a few more done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided to delay posting my head sketches until I can properly scan them in. I'm trying to cut down on the crappy webcam pics.

Until then, here's some digital stuff. A few more old line art creatures that I decided to paint in Photoshop CS3. These ones were done faster and sloppier than those that I've already posted. Still using a mouse. I don't think that any of them took more than a couple of hours, at most. The first monster is my favourite. I'll put more work into the eyeball and alien things later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here are the first few Loomis faces, as well as another endless doodle page. I dotted the five faces on the first image that I thought were best, to hopefully help me see what I was doing wrong in the worse ones. The doodling page doesn't have much new on it, but it's newer than the first one that I posted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really loving those 5 digital paintings, the colours in them are amazing. Something i'm sure you've picked up on from doing pixel art. definately looking forward to seeing more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rognvaldr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rognvaldr View Post
    I'm really loving those 5 digital paintings, the colours in them are amazing. Something i'm sure you've picked up on from doing pixel art. definately looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks! I never really thought about it before, but I do pick my Photoshop colours in the same way that I pick my palette for pixel art. I've been doing pixel art longer then I've been doing this, so I think that I initially tried to carry over as many techniques as possible and kept the ones that worked.

Here's a couple of quick and simple experiments with 2-point perspective in Photoshop, as well as a Smiley done in MS Paint and few pieces of pixel art just to make this post longer. The last piece of pixel art is the only really recent one, which I did for this activity here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelat...p?topic=6814.0

University starts at 8:30 on Thursday morning for me, but I think that I might have one more thing to post before then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, University has begun. I'm taking physical science but I'll still try to do as much drawing as possible.

There are a few things that I'll scan in later, but for now here's an update on the eyeball-thing and a quick mechanical box. I think that it looks better with the lineart still over top, considering I didn't get very far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I love the Prom inspired stuff, some pretty sweet color choices. For your other drawings, try and start with larger shapes and then go back and refine the lines. Try and think about the structures underneath as simpler shapes, such as circles and squares first and I think you could really pull a lot more out of the hands and such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! When you say "Prom-inspired", are you talking about Prometeus|ANJ? Much of the line art is actually from before I was close enough to CA to know about him, but I love his stuff and his "General Art Concepts" tutorial helped me a lot with my digital work.

I've been drawing a lot more than I've posted, I just haven't gotten the opportunity to scan most of it. I have a lot of holes in my University timetable for me to just sit around and do whatever for hours, so usually I'll draw after I've finished whatever work there is to do. I've mostly been doing small pictures on a pad of Ontario transit post-it notes. For now I'll just post the only worthwhile one that you can get a good grasp of without the detail of a proper scan. A quick picture on an Ontario transit sticky note of me drawing a quick picture on an Ontario transit sticky note. I was going to try and make it infinitely recursive, but I got bored and class was about to start. I'll probably erase the swirl and continue it later. Tomorrow perhaps.

Finally, I have to learn to stop writing so much before every post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The beginnings of a man based on one of my sticky note drawings. It will be far better later. I'll be giving him a few more facial details and a body (he's being constructed in pieces).

=Major W.I.P.=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the man with the hat. Now he has a hat and a teacup. And most importantly, teeth. I went off on a bit of a tangent here. The speech bubble might go and the tea will be a bit more dynamic when he has hands to hold it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more things based on creatures from my sticky notes. A couple of aliens. I'm trying to stop working on a white backdrop all of the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hundredth post on CA! Unfortunately I don't have anything new and exciting ready to post, so here's an old one. I drew it after I pulled an all-nighter at my friend's cottage. Me and another friend of ours spent all night doing dishes, cleaning ground beef out of the shag carpet, and playing the entire Metal Slug series beginning to end. The Metal Slug marathon got me thinking of tanks, which is where this one came from. This was about half a year ago.

...And yes, I realize that wood would make for terrible armor on a tank, but it was fun to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... I seem to be failing to update this sketchbook as regularly as I originally intended to. I've done a bunch of work on paper but can't show it right now, so I guess that means that it's time to dig back into my older work again. Here are three of my earliest attempts at digital painting, circa 2006.

Last edited by chriskot; October 11th, 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. These last few digitals are getting better! I like your wood tank. I'd like to see that worked out some more. I think the general lay in is promising now you just have to give eveything more volume.
    i don't know, maybe it's just your scanner but some of the pencils look a little smudgy? Probably you could use a harder one for sketching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I occasionally go back and work on older pieces and I was actually considering working on the tank one some more. As for the pencil, that is just my scanner. Probably a side-effect of the algorithm that removes the paper grain from the image. I've actually been using the same 0.7mm mechanical HB pencil for three years now.

Here's a new pic: A cycloptic companion for the purplish alien 4 posts up. I could have put a bit more work into it, but my main focus was on making the light look more natural then my previous drawings, specifically the highlights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 weeks since my last update? I'm falling behind again!

Sigh. Once again, only webcam pics. Note that for anything done on grid paper, the thought never even occurred to me to use the grid to estimate proportions. It just happened to be the best paper I had at the time. I have a big page of Loomis faces and another one of hands for when I can get around to scanning things again. Today I have the following:

-My jacket sleeve, watch, and wrist, as drawn almost a month ago.
    -A... Thing.
    -More hands (I think I'm getting better at this).
    -Little tiny pics of some old, rotten food objects.
    -Some biological-looking shapes/textures that I was playing with.
    -An (unfortunately blurry) attempt to improve upon the robot 3 posts up. I think I still prefer the old one though.

It's not much, but I'll re-upload these in better quality when I get to scanning.

EDIT: HA! SCANNED PROPERLY NOW!

Last edited by chriskot; November 2nd, 2008 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got my scanner going, so here's a bunch of stuff! The Self-Portraits were done for International Self Portrait Day.

-A bust view of an android
    -A quick & rudimentary landscape
    -A couple of little robots
    -20 more Loomis faces
    -17 more drawings of my left hand (or at least parts of it)
    -A 10 minute SP done sloppily with a mouse in Photoshop
    -A 45 minute SP done with a mechanical pencil on more scrap paper

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice....great work Man keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! (@Forgeman - Which one do you mean when you say #8?)

So I've been working on giving my redone robot a bit of colour. I pretty much work in the following way:
    -Draw lineart (fade it out as I work)
    -Fill in basic colours
    -Add in highlights
    -Add in shadows <- (I am about to start this part)
    -Fix colours, clean up lighting
    -Add in details such as scratches, spots, and any reflections
    -Flatten everything and clean up again
    -Repeat previous step until finished

Any crits or comments regarding either this particular image or my process in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last week, a friend wanted a bit of help with a marketing project of his. They were supposed to do a big project involving a mockup of a high-end projector from the 80s. I was given the line art (done by one of his group members) and 24 hours. This is what I managed to get done. Not exactly polished, but I think it turned out okay. At least his group was happy with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digital works are really clean and simple yet very stylish. I like them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basically just agreeing with what Arbinn said

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

Wow. It's been almost a month since I added new stuff. Alright, here's an old and feeble attempt at producing something in 3D (using Blender) and a little pickle, which I drew on a whim a couple of days ago.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook