Mascot

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mascot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mascot

So I work at a smallish print shop and right now they've got me working on football decals for the local schools. I was supposed to recreate a design for one school. Basically, I was supposed to redraw an existing piece of art, but not exactly like the original. So I started from scratch and drew this guy:
    Mascot

I showed it to my boss and he told me he wanted the mascot to look meaner and more muscular. So I worked on it some more and got this:
    Mascot

I thought it was okay, considering I really needed a reference but there was absolutely none on hand. (We don't have Internet at work. Or collections of photos of things.) Anyhoo, my boss still didn't like it, and we ended up splicing two pieces of clipart together. I really didn't want to waste the picture, so I thought I'd just finish it at home in my spare time.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice on drawing mascots for sports and things. I've never really done it before. And any critiques on how to improve this picture would be appreciated, too.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the second one, his foot on our right has departed a little bit from the hoof motif and started to be shaped kind of like a shoe. It's not really distracting, since it took me a little while to notice it.

Perhaps if you stood a model in this pose and lit him from one side it would show you some shadow contours you could block in graphically. It might give a more dramatic look, while at the same time making him look more three dimensional. Your boss might have been looking for something like this to give the feel of actual muscle masses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad. Arttorney is right about the hoof, it looks like a balloon filled with water. Maybe referencing the anatomy of a bulls hoof will help. I like the line weight on the character. It definitely has that mascot feel. It's a pretty solid drawing, but I think a more dynamic pose would be killer, but that;s just my opinion. it's subjective. Nice work man.

Lawnboy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, both of you.

I went back and fixed his hoof and I'm trying to shade it in Photoshop as if there's a light shining on him. No colors, just values. I'm not sure if I'll actually finish it, since we went with a different picture anyway, but it's nice to be able to learn something from it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.