Art: New animation
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New animation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New animation

Please give me feedback on this, I am a young filmmaker who's been accepted into some top animation schools and I just recently made one that so far, everyone thinks its good.

I haven't been to college yet, but I'm heading down this fall and hopefully my works will get better. I've never had any training in animation and this was done by self-taught techniques and terrible programs (such as Windows Movie Maker) to make it since I don't have the money to buy programs such as Flash or Stopmotion Pro 4.

It looks pretty nice I guess, and hopefully those of you who watch will enjoy it.

It's nothing like most claymations on youtube since it was carefully made and I'm a perfectionist too so yeah... haha watch!

I need some feedback on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VphQiXub1UU

The music was unsynced by youtube, and it's supposed to match but a bit better than that... does anyone know how to fix that?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's awesome anonymouspunk2! And for the record, the music didn't seem out of synch on my end of things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, awesome work! HUGE props for the claymation. Very cute and well put together story too Nice use of FX too, they weren't distracting at all.

Like Egerie said the music doesn't seem out of synch. You tube always seems drops frames with their compressor. It can be pretty annoying.

Great work! I hope your #1 choice school snatched ya up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I got accepted into all of them and thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Forgive me for raining on your parade.

I've done a teeny bit of stop motion myself and was definitely impressed. However, I feel like 80% of my enjoyment of that animation came from the music rather than the visuals. I'd suggest showing it to people without the music if you want more constructive critiques of the part that you actually produced.

Good sense of timing.

HELP ME!
    MY SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, a lot of the enjoyment, did come from the music. But...hey, it's composing and balancing that make a short like that enjoyable, no? Although...I know some companies do mute your reel if what they're looking for is strictly technical skill.

As a film, I thought it was a good. Purely on the animation...I'm sure you know yourself it could have been better. The cinematography, I thought was nice and well synced with the music and as LittleMissViolent said, the FX was not that distracting (which is a pet peeve of mine when people put such things in film).

For further examples and resources of what I think is pretty good (at the very least interesting) stop motion and cinematography, look here:

Ruka

Hoznosti dialogu

Have good one at your #1 school, you seem to be very driven, especially to work in Movie Maker (which likes to crash every 10 minutes -_-).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I actually don't have very good equipment. The set is actually on top of a piano bench, and the backdrop is just some cloth and construction paper. My budget for this film was probably lower than $15, not counting the camera I've been using for years for this type of work.

I appreciate the comments you guys left, and yes, I admit that alot of the enjoyment does come from the music. I actually listened to the music before thinking of what to create around it as a visual. I'm going to take this into consideration next time I create something else

The way I think of it, the sound is nearly as important as the visuals itself. If you watch any animation without sound, it loses alot of meaning and enjoyment. Try watching any movie soundless (except silent movies), and you'll see that a lot of mood and excitement is set in the music.

I did invest much in the music for this particular piece, but hey, with every piece I make is usually an experiment to test something to expand my knowledge and skills in what I want to do. I learn from it so yeah hahaha...

That was a bit long...

Quote Originally Posted by Metalclay View Post
    Have good one at your #1 school, you seem to be very driven, especially to work in Movie Maker (which likes to crash every 10 minutes -_-).
    You are so freaking right... and sometimes when it crashes it saves a file, and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes the saved file is a file backed up earlier than the one you previously saved. It freezes without reason, and working with it is one of the least enjoyable aspects of my work. Whoever programmed that program seriously didn't thoroughly test it before shipping it out to the market...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.