Art: The Birth of Pegaso - My first creation in Sculpey - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG I love this. I am an equine artist too
    Have you done anything else to this yet? I cant wait to see more!
    Lora

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just, WOW!

And the wings, WOW-WOW!!

Look forward to the finished piece - Fantastico!!

la

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi to all, yesterday I returned of my vacations. I have already baked the body of the horse and the left wing. The tip of the ear broke for a fair accident when taking it out of the oven but with loctite and epoxy putty it has been perfect, one of the primary longest feathers also cracked but I have also repaired it with success. The first two images made them to expose the way in that I detailed the feathers, I suffered some headaches and pains in the neck but I like the result.

Name:  wings15sm.jpg
Views: 2697
Size:  71.4 KBName:  wings16sm.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  54.8 KB

These last three images are those that carried out exactly before putting the wing in the oven, one day after applying it the diluter to soften the texture.

Name:  wings17sm.jpg
Views: 2687
Size:  61.9 KBName:  wings18sm.jpg
Views: 2675
Size:  62.3 KBName:  wings19sm.jpg
Views: 2669
Size:  52.5 KB

I have used sandpaper and cutter to finish defining the borders of the longest feathers. Tomorrow I will try to couple the wing in the body to determine the final position. I hope not to destroy it...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariahc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more thing... somebody can explain to me how the last image of the work to put in the presentation. I don't get that the first image changes and the wire structure always appears! :-(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Outstanding work. Thanks for the tutorial.

Great looking sculpt.

KingUnicorn is offline Between the world of the seen and unseen... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The wings are terrific. Simply rich with detail and thoughtfully executed. I've recently picked up a small sculpture of a swan to study the process of sculpting extended wings and here you've gone and provided something far more informative.

I'm looking forward to seeing the components come together to finish this piece.

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have the best answer, but if you want to add anew image to the thread title, I just add the image to the first post, of course there is a better way that others use so i hope one of them gives us both the better answer.

Maddmaestro

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maddmaestro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was able to make it eliminating the pictures that were already attached and I attached the one that wanted to expose in the first place, then I attached both old and I only added these two to the message. The one that is exposed is simply shown when being attached.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those wings are Fantastic - You are soooo good!
    How do you get text in among your pictures in the posts?
    OK - so the word is actual "equine artist" - thanks SoulWraith!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want this so bad LOL
    It is so beautiful.

Yes Aseyngel..."equine artist" covers it! I sculpt, paint, customize and now cast my own....so I guess that is it! LOL
    I also paint on canvas, that has been where my dark side has come out though....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great,Great wings! And Horse of course.Never seen better in that area.
    Veeeery realistic!
    So much that I would ask if you have compared the big ones(feathers),
    to some real ones ;have you? (symmetry of feather spine etc)
    If my memory dont fail me,there is a big asymmetry in the lifting feathers(the big ones).BIG asymmetry.I remember that from my fishing days,when we used feathers to buoy the hook.
    Im only saying this because I see you are a perfectionist in real stuff;just look at the horse! Perfect!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great model from from the little details to the "whole picture" so to speak going to be fun to so it evolve further

Aseyngel: upload your pic through the "manage attachments" button then click the "paperclip" icon and choose which attachment you want to use the "link-text" will appear in the text whereever you have the "link-text" the pic will be.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindflaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    incredible.
    incredible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just beautiful...you are very skilled.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice anatomy work on the horse. I like the detailing of the wings and how you've handled that. My only concern is how the details of the mane will hold up. Those small strands are going to be delicate unless you are using epoxy putty for this. Really impressive so far.

-Yeti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks honestly amazing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you do amazing and absolutely beautiful work. The process photos
    are always fun to see and I really can't wait to see this once you get the
    wings attached. Just wonderful.

Troy

http://www.themcdevittstudio.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    "It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what's cool." - Calvin, Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard to be creative with my words, since almost every has been said already..

Ah well.. here goes:

This is such a strong piece! Details are pure greatness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That horse is really really nice. I wondered if you could direct me to any books/DVDs that helped you with your sculpting technique.

I love the anatomy, but I really love the way that you create a tight skin effect. I was wondering how you achieved this. I plan to sculpt an arab horse soon and I really want to be able to do it like you. I normally use epxoy putty and that was difficult, but I am planning to move on onto sculpy. For the veins on the face do you cure the sculpy and then then do the veins or do the viens as part of the rest of the head?

Could you explain the brushing technique as well? How do you do it and do you use it to soften the details.

Also have you got any more/bigger pictures, so I can follow your method.

Great work

Thanks, Will.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everybody for the comments, modeling this is costing me more than what I thought, and I have several orders of copies of other models I have to dedicate it a just time every day, I am wanting to advance quicker.

rvbhal: I have several feather types in my house, I was comparing feathers of Royal Eagle and Black Swan, I also looked at the gull feathers. The truth is that there is a lot of difference between the primary feathers of the eagle and those of the swan, the flight is different. I think anyway that I have not been able to create them all the realistic one that I wanted, but I think that I will continue working a little with the sandpapers more, my fear is to break them. Now what I will attempt is that the right wing has the same proportions and that will be complicated, but at least I think that I will get better details in it because I am already seeing the errors that I made in this.

yeticatcher: You are right regarding the manes, until this work it only used epoxy putty but I think that it should have looked for another way of creating the manes because they are really very delicate, I hope not to break the tips when painting them. Anyway I like the aspect so in my next horse I will try to give the same effect but with more density in the hair mass.

Will88: To make the base I have taken Smellybug's technique and I also used the technique that he exposed in their tutorial to soften the details with oil diluter. To make the texture of the skin I have seen Mark Alfreys’ videos. To get the appropriate details I have studied much the details of horse body, also I work with horses, which allows me to observe the horses and capturing many things not perceived at first sight. To make this figure I thought in a horse type I imagined that could be Pegaso, the Arab horse it is beautiful and graceful but I imagined Pegaso like horse of Baroque type with thick manes without losing nimbleness, so I took as reference an Hispanic-Arab stallion called Blass, he is grey color in white phase, he is a sire with which I go for a walk in the beach and it is very attractive, this is a very extended breed of horses in Spain and very beautiful, it unifies the best in both breeds. To model I very often use books of images, for example Robert Vavra’s books: http://www.robertvavra.com/stock.html
    and I also use books of documentation of the different breeds, for example: Ultimate Guide to Horse Breeds, from Andrea Fitzpatrick, and I take many images that I obtain of Internet. I learned practicing the customizing in models of resin, using epoxy putty, then I began to model whole figures with epoxy putty (it is certainly complicated and it spends a lot of time) and this it’s my first work in Super Sculpey and Sculpey III.

The veins of the face and the rest of details I made them before baking the figure, to make fine details the best thing is using detail burins. First I modeled the form in general, then detail the face and the neck and finally finish detailing the rest of the body, I made it in this way to catch the figure with the hands to detail the face, the body could finish it with the horse placed in the base, I learned how to organize the detailed of areas working with epoxy where touching a recently detailed area by mistake means to desolate the figure. From tomorrow I begin with the session of pictures of each step in the creation of the right wing, I will try to explain the best thing possible each step, including the technique with which I soften the details, and the errors that I find when making it. The whole tutorial will publish it in my blog when finishing the whole work, I will explain it with more thoroughness and I will add drawings, reference images and the final analysis of made errors.

Last edited by Mariahc; September 4th, 2008 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aseyngel: I am able to place my mark in the pictures using photoshop. I expose the steps next to make it for if you want to prove.

Open the image with photoshop and using the function of Text: Icon "T", open a text square in the area where you want to locate the mark.

Name:  MARCA1.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  68.9 KBName:  MARCA2.jpg
Views: 2423
Size:  70.2 KB

Then you can locate it better using the icon that is up to the right in the window of tools, is a black arrow. In the picture it appears pressed. Finally open the layer icon and choose the penultimate option: Flatten image. In this way you hit the mark and it will be part of the image.

Name:  MARCA3.jpg
Views: 2412
Size:  70.1 KBName:  MARCA4.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  69.4 KB

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariahc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I expose the result of coupling the wing in the figure. The areas in white colour are epoxy that I have used for the repairs and in the creation of the feathers that lacked to finish the union of both pieces. Now I will begin the work of the left wing and I will photograph each step in the creation of the structure. I still have to add feathers in epoxy, I think that it lacks mass.

Name:  wings20sm.jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  64.0 KBName:  wings21sm.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  wings22sm.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  65.0 KBName:  wings23sm.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  wings24sm.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  57.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is realy great. The anatomy looks spot on. I realy like the expression you gave it. It realy does look like that panicked looks that horses have.

awesome peice.keep up the great work

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the wings...they add such an element of fantasy to such a realistic equine sculpture! the fantastic work you do continues my friend!!

Maddmaestro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The finished piece will be .....(sorry , am speechless!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The feathers' detail is amazing--the whole model is amazing. Keep it up, you're awesome!
    The only thing that slightly bugs me is how thin the horse looks. Just overall, it looks like he hasn't eaten in a while, but I don't know horse anatomy.

Siamese Goldfish is offline Programmer with an Identity Crisis Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap! it didnt take you too long to get the hang of sculpey, thats for damn sure. great job!

Looking for other Denver area artists!
    My Scribbles - Take a peek

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apple hooks: you are right, the horse is thin, but it is normal in a Saddle horse type, Draft horses are wider. It also depends on the horse in question, if he eats a lot and he moves little he will be fatter, if he eats well and he trains every day he will be fibrous. My idea was that Pegaso was a slight horse since a heavier horse would need some bigger and wider wings. Here I put images of horses of different breeds: two saddle horses are the thinnest, a Thoroughbred and an Akhal-Teké, the other heaviest horses are a Clydesdale and the last one is a family fatty horse.

Name:  Herk-front.JPG
Views: 2393
Size:  24.9 KBName:  akhal-teke1.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  clydesdale.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  52.1 KBName:  horseytjrhtj.jpg
Views: 2137
Size:  131.7 KB

Thanks