school assignments - feedback needed

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

school assignments - feedback needed

Hello, i have a few concept art assignments that i'm currently working on. The first assignment is that we had to make some kind of caveman. I think for the clothes i'm gonna go with number 9, he will be carrying a spear in his right hand (for us left) and have a bearclaw on his other hand. Any feedback is welcome, will post the progress and the other assignments soon as wel
    And sorry for the bad scanning quality, once the linedrawing is completely done i'll draw over it with inkt and scan it more properly

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update, the animalhead for the cape is very tricky, could really use some advice on it, or itherwise i'll just have to leave it out of the drawing. The claw doesn't come over as powerfull as i would liked it to be, but i've been having a bit of toruble with it as well and this was the best for now.
    I also have a line drawing for a different assignment, it's a self-portrait, we had to have an interaction with our hands so i thought i would make myself hold an uhm...well don't really know the name for it, like a glass ball fortune tellers use*, so i could do some cool things with facial expression and light. The drawing is only gonna be as a guide for my ps painting, not gonna be showing the lines over it at the end. But any frredback and tips are very much welcome

*like this; school assignments - feedback needed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update, was hoping for a little bit more feedback on what i'm doing right and what i'm doing wrong. color suggestions on the caveman is still welcome, i made thumbs of colors before i started and this seemed the best, still doubting what color i should make his hair tho.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should have kept the caveman's animal skin! it looked pretty good. In a case of using an animals head you should have found a reference photo of a lion or something similiar, i'm pretty sure you could have found a pic of a stuffed one on the net. Otherwise, you could have looked at Frank Frazetta's work; he has a lot of cavemen/cavewoman themed illustrations on the go. As for the colour work, you'll get a better feel to the painting if you use the hard brush instead of the soft brush, the soft brush doesn't define the shadows as well and everything looks fuzzy - also, when representing younger skin, it's best to use cold blues in the shadowinstead of brown tones. http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery has a good piece in the tutorials section on how to deal with skintones, and if you look at her work you might be able to get some tips to use with your own piece

are you using photo reference's on the drawing aspect? I can't really tell if you have or not in the drawings. You had some nice designs on the first design sheet keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thanks for the reply!
    First off, thanks for the references, i've known and used the tutorial of furiea before (and yeah it is really good) but for this i tried to use a mixture of several tutorials and tried to find my own way in it. The skintone of the caveman is completely off, i just colorised it with something so i at least had that area filled already, was still planning to change it.
    For the animal head, it really just wasnt working, tho i may wanna give it another try, but i think it's best if i'll complete it the way it is and afterwards if i still have time i can just attach an animal head painting on it? (have to consider i'm on a time limit as well) But many thanks for the reference, if i wont be using it for this work then i'm sure i can still use it for in the future.

For both drawings i started with a photo as reference, i used a photo to study the pose of the caveman but the muscles, face, hair, i made from my head and feedback from others to improve it :p

here's an update on my portait, i'm really not very exhited to be painting clothes on it tho, but i guess i'll have to :p

Last edited by Lav; August 9th, 2008 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update from both.
    On the portrait i still have to work on the eyes, i hope it'll work out because now it just looks a bit odd :p
    I'm also gonna recut the picture in the end so a piece of the left and bottom will fall off (and perhaps tiny bit from above)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.