Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: [insert creative title here] - katinki's studies

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face [insert creative title here] - katinki's studies

hey!

this is just another newbie's sketchbook...

a few words about me: i'm a graphic design student - but i realised that while that is something that i realy like to do i would love to be an illustrator. i always liked to draw and paint but i somehow abandoned that in favour of graphic design a few years ago.... and now i regret that...
    thus i decided it is time to seriously start drawing again. learn the basics. now.

--------------------

here are a few studies from the last couple of days:

anatomy studies after gottfried bammes. i started at the feet and am now slowly working my way up the body.... / some posemaniac poses. mostly about 45 sec. my line quality is horrible! / and an apple still life. that was fun but i am way too slow!

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by katinki; September 16th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, nice start, lookin' good. Btw, the title is kinda creative, liked that =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can see your strong in anatomy post more and ill tell you what i think you need to work on

Last edited by buzz; August 9th, 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pamukluprenses & buzz thank you for your kind words! i didn't really expect a welcome at all between all those magnificient books...

today i continued my anatomy studies:
    one leg drawing, posemaniac poses and then i moved on to the pelvis. strange form! i'm still trying to understand it... i copied bammes' geometric studies on it and tried a digital study of the bone. but i was that concentrated on the painting (it is like my second serious digital painting attempt after the apple yesterdy) that i got parts of the structure wrong. especially the part where the spine attatches is wrong .
    nevermind - tomorrow will be another chance!

Last edited by katinki; August 5th, 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: i forgot today's posemaniac poses!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for dropping in my sb , really nice start u got there, you have a great 3d sense, we can feel it in the bones you draw, great rendering and poses too. You seem to handle colors quite well too, id like to see some more to be more helpfull !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Such great anatomy studies! You really have it down well -- even that apple looks delicious. I could learn a few things by keeping an eye on your work. Hope you don't mind. :3

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whiteC thank your for the nice comment! colours are a topic i have to work more on. so many things to tacle...
    ohnojenny thank you!

meh - i'm not very satisfied today... i didn't do as much as i should. a sheet of posemaniac gestures again and two onions.
    they taught me how much i don't know! the colours are nothing like the real ones, they looked more vibrant and more dull at the same time... and i failed to convey their volume, too. have to try again. - any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy smacks, I feel some great studies in here. That's just wonderful. Very accurate and deep, as WhiteC wrote, nice sense for three-dimensionality.

Thanks for visiting my sketchbook!

PS: Kann verstehen, wenn man den Illustrator-Kram und den Grafik-Kram unterschiedlich wichtig ansieht. Meine Erfahrung ist allerdings, dass es sich alle paar Jahre wieder ändert. Freut mich auf jeden Fall, mal andere Grafiker hier zu sehen!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook!

Okay -- first off I'd like to say I am very amazed with how many figures you can fit in one page. :3 It almost looks like they've been drawn straight onto the computer with how clean the lines are. What are your dimensions?
    Onions taste good -- and yours aren't looking half bad! I like the tops especially, got the ruffle nicely done, but they do look a bit flat... especially the one on our right. Like, after the detail to the top, which looks pretty 3d, it just flattens out. I do like that greenish hue on the left one, though...
    Keep it up!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ohnojenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some great potential here, it shows a lot in your onions, apple and pelvis paints! You've got a good grasp on form but your quick figures tend to have long torsos (or short legs, whichever you prefer better haha) but that's really common from what I've noticed and easily corrected! Keep it up, you're off to a wonderful start.

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jabo thank you! i wouldn't call illustration and garphic design differently important - i love both! i just focused on graphic soley during the last years and feel that i need to catch up drawing-wise... and i want to use my holiday for that (/and of course continue afterwards). - i just realized that we don't live far apart, i'm in offenbach and study at the hfg - that's funny!

ohnojenny thanks again - i hope today's onion is better... regarding the gesture drawings, they are done digitally, thus a bit of scaling and organizing was done afterwards. and the lines aren't clean at all - you just see them at a quarter of the actual size...

IanE thank you and good catch with the long torsos! i tried to think of it during today's session but i fear they aren't much better. i concentrate so hard to get the torso right that it somehow gets too important in my mind and thus too big on the sheet. tomorrow will be better, i promise!

standard program today: one sheet of posemaniac poses and one digital still life. vegetables get bit boring... perhaps i'll dare to differ from bumskee's model tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some really nice studies here. love the pelvis painting. nice and smooth.

hope to see some more work like the digital paintings. looks like you put alot of effort and time into them.

thanks for checking out my work too!

"Fire walk with me"

Dream Solver: Graphic Novel

Blog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, that's a very good start you have there, very nice studies indeed. I like the last onion a lot- very nice and clean render and more "3d" than the first- the problem with them was maybe that there is not much difference between the shadows and the lit side of the onion in value and color temperature, in the 2. you have darker and cooler shadows.I still see some short legs in the posemaniacs drawing.
    Keep it up and thanks for visiting my sb.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to benu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, HFG. Da wollte ich alternativ hin, falls es mit Wiesbaden nix geworden wäre. Mittlerweile hab ich das Gefühl, ich hätte direkt nach Offenbach gehen sollen Etwas rückschrittlich konservativ hier. Aber mal sehen, ist ja erst das erste Semester. Naja whatever. Vielleicht können wir uns ja mal treffen. Ich meine wenn du willst.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man the apple and onions are sick!!!
    Just like your anatomy studies though!
    Keep it up!!

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to chuck18mp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Ham thank you! i have no new digi paint today but i plan to work on them a lot more... its fun!

benu thanks - yep, i tend to forget values and only look at colours when painting, i have to get that down! and i hope the legs are better today!

jabo und ich wäre nach wiesbaden gegangen, wenn offenbach nicht geklappt hätte... und so wie's dir dort zu rückschrittlich ist, fehlt mir hier die fundierung, es geht immer nur um style und man lernt seeehr wenig basics... die perfekte schule gibt's wohl nicht. gibt's hier noch mehr leute aus dem rhein-main gebiet? dann könnte man ja mal so was wie nen sketchmeet anplanen...

chuck18p thanks!

gestures again, trying to get the legs longer, and a little page of butt studies (bammes like always)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice anatomy studies! And the digital paintings are very well done. Did you say these are your first attempts at digital painting? Amazing.

Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

24. The Following User Says Thank You to crazy3dman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crazy3dman thank you! yep, those are my first "real" digital paintings - but i use photoshop for a while now, for colouring linework and graphic deign purposes. thus the tool isn't completly new to me.

today i tried a new little digi life study - a teelight. and i struggled more than i have should. damn those metal refections. has anybody got a tip how i could make the wax look more waxy? and a 5 min figure study over which i doodled a bit...

i leave for vacation tomorrow (yay!), so there won't be updates for the following two weeks. but i'll take a sketchbook with me and will do as much lifedrawing as possible! so expect a bunch of scans afterwards!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great anatomy studies there! Really great rendering in them I see. I hope you concentrate as much on understanding the form as on the rendering process or else they won't help you
    about the wax, I think the only thing you could add to make it more wax like is a texture with pores because the lighting is about the right way (I say about because I'm no expert in wax surfaces ) The onions are great btw, I could only critizise you for making the hard edges not look hard. Also there's some depth missing like where the top layer opens. It jsut doesn't feel like that peice of the onion beneath that layer is really beneath it.

Have a nice vacation

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurjuus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aah, they are done digitally, huh? That's interesting. :3 So you work with small windows to see the posemaniacs model, huh? Sounds tricky.
    Really like the new onion! The neutral and greyer tones in it really help, I think. It definitely doesn't look flat at all.
    Butt studies! Definitely a part of the body that shouldn't be overlooked, and I think they worked well! But in your latest post with the rough of the person, it looks like a part of the butt has been cut off... but I could be wrong, and it's just me. :3

Do enjoy your vacation!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ohnojenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could eat those onions.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to emurider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for postin in my SB! whos up for some sauteed onions! great work here love the candle.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to buzz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your accuracy with the pencil is amazing! im majorly jealous here

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Benisimo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start for your sketchbook.
    Your penmanship is admireable, really precise work even with those colored ones.

Visit My Sketchb00k and drop a comment.
    www.timokarhula.com

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Tmza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kurjuus thank you for your critique! i'll try to keep that in mind for the next pieces! but i'm not sure what you mean with making the hard edges look harder. i'm not sure how to achive that... but i'll try!

ohnojenny working with multiple windows is pretty common, i think. but in the beginning it was strange, of course. and yep, you're right, the last lady could use some more butt...

emurider, benisimo, buzz & tmza thanks!

back from holiday! while it was great i had some problems drawing - i broke my glasses on the second day! and without them lifedrawing wasn't much fun.... thus just a few lifedrawings from train and cafe. they were great fun but hardly have any resemblance with my victims and lack any anatomy - i definately have to do that more often!

but now i've got my glasses repaired and a bunch of stuff i did today: some heads from ref, a page of gestures and two rushed asian head studies for this week's sparten camp (after photos).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only a small update today: a couple of poses and four head studies of boys as it occoured to me that i have never ever drawn children. childish proportions are strange! i'll have to do more studies of them ... like of everything else...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today's stuff: trunk anatomy studies after bammes, a couple of faces and a digi paint of my usb stick which took forever - technical objects aren't my friends, i don't seem to be able to draw a straight line....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one still life for today: two pretty empty acrylics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today was a slightly more productive day: a page of posemaniac poses, back muscle studies, my left foot, my boyfriend reading and a self portrait. the skin tones suck, it looks like clay, not skin - i have to work on that. at least it resembles me, i wonder if i always look that unfriendly when i concentrate....... (i hope not)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook, well I definitely like those anatomy studies, I wish I could give some crits but I lack the knowledge to do so (btw. things in my sketchbook are an outcome of aproximately two months of work so my output is not so great...)

Cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.