Sketchbook: [insert creative title here] - katinki's studies - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for stopping by and the useful crit, wow y i haven't i seen ur SB before!! that hip rendering is sick!! really feel the rigidness, ur rendering skills is cool, and i think that muddy'D look in the portrait gives it some stylization, great gesture studies as well!!!

Any tips for rendering objects so well digitally?

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l D.C. l jharford

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start to the SB. Those onions were phenomenal! i dig the muscle-on-skeleton sketches. Those look like the help a lot. I also really like the way you build the shapes of the muscles on the legs you posted.

keep bringing the goods!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay - page 2!
    today was a rather sad day and because of real life occurencies (tm) i didn't drew much.

here are a couple of sketches of my boyfriend watching tv. anatomy looks very wonky, that means while those studies get me the knowledge i still don't apply it by heart. more studies, i somehow have to fix it in my mind...

R&F thank you!

snootchy thanks! i don't have tips yet, i'm a humble beginner. i believe it is all about carefull observation, colour picking and time...

peetaer thank you - those muscle sceletons are originally by gottfried bammes (after whom approx all my anatomy studies here are). he has a very nice constructive, yet detailed concept of anatomy.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good, dude! i really like these latest drawings! watch the proportions of the head, arms and so on tho.
    keep it up!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flaskpost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitely these look nice, I agree with Flaskpost that you should watch proportions it's especially visible in the first one, but this will come with time and practice (I hope for my own sake )

cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to R&F For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my SB! Sketchies look nice! You are aware of the proportions issue, so I'm just gonna request MORE sketches Keep doing the studies, and keep drawing from life. You'll find the learning meshing together as you go along

dC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for your visit on my sketchbook!^^
    Your studies are gorgeous, i wish to do some of these soon^^

Looking for a job, haha!
    www.adelsontavares.com
    My Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Onimetal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    time to update again... a couple of gestures, two self portraits (one tryout with this colour overlay thingie and a value study - somehow they resemble me, but nor really...), a few flower studies (from life and from photo ref)

flaspost yeah - the proportions are evil, i try to get the anatomy facts into my head but somehow they don't translate when i want to use them fast... bleh- matter of practise i guess.

r&f you're right.... but i'm sure it will come with the practise! (but i did none since last time, stupid me!)

dcept yes, i promise, next time i update i'll have more sketches!

onimetal those studies are fun! try them out!

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook. Its good to see that taking this seriously, the anatomy studies are great, and the digital pieces are looking good. The only thing I'd have to say about the digital work, is that it looks a little flat, add a little bit of chromatic or bright colors to liven it up a bit. You dont have to change much just add some umpf to it. I shouldnt be talking, because I do the same thing. Also try to play with color complements and color harmony. Great work so far. Cant wait for more.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Envisor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these last update looks pretty good, I like that flower, unfortunately I can't give no good crits still... anyways keep it coming

Cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to R&F For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today is pencil stuff: bammes anatomy studies of arm and shoulder and a few lifedrawings of my boyfriend again.
    i tried to watch out for the proportions this time, i think its a bit better, but i can still see loads of flaws... it's strange, his head looks too big in real life because of the afro. and our cat looks un-cat-ish too, i know absolutly nothing about animal anatomy - i guess i'll tackle that when i've got a basic grip of the human one...

envisor thank you for stopping by! and you are right - the digi life studies could really use some "umpf"! i'm always afraid of too bright colours... i'll have to overcome that. i'll try with the next one!

r&f thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice figure studies, and digital stuff! I can't say too much right now, but keep it up. I really enjoy the purple flower, you seem to have a really great grasp on color and value in that one.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FearSelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a wip before i go to bed. i want to enter chow this week for the first time... this week is andersen's little mermaid in her mermaid and maiden form. i want this version to be wild and fishy in contrast to a biedermeier-y costume for the metamorphosed one (because of the description of the seafolk's culture in the tale and andersen's own life time). i'm not really able to pull off a full blown illustration in the given time like many people seem to do, i go rather for a plain character view.

any pointers? the biggest problem i can spot is that she looks too old, but i don't really know how to make her look younger...

fearself thanks! the flower is after a photo which already had good colours, i guess that's easier to work from than from life...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the movement of the hair, as if she stopped in mid-swim for some dramatic reason to fend off an attack or what not. But her lower body doesn't seem to show that same movement, maybe if her tail-fin/lower body where more at an angle and a bit further off in space, to go with the direction of her hair? If that makes sense. Also, I think the tail-fin is a bit small to manuver her around the ocean with ease, I looked at some scuba diving fins and compared the proportion of them with the person's head wearing them, the fins are usually 2 heads long. Why I compared a mermaid to scuba gear? That's the closest realistic mermaid I could think of.
    While I was looking at scuba gear I found this picture link and that's sort of how I imagine the feeling of movement in your wip, not quite though.
    Mmm I hope this helped.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to FearSelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there! ^^
    nice to meet you, and thanks for visiting..

There's definitely a lot of pictures here. And it's all great! I love the anatomy studies and the flower sketches, it's so detailed for a sketch.

and for the mermaid, the whole picture's good ^^ Though I personally think the shoulder's too stiff..

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trefle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update on the mermaid, i changed the sketch to make her younger and less agressive, some biedermeier-y costume thumbs, an early version of the maiden form and the one i prefer at the moment.

fearself thank you very much for the critique and the reference! after your advice i made her tail fin bigger, bended her body a bit more (i don't want it to become a action pose, rather a plain view on the chara). after i read that you found her agressive i could see that too - i tried to get rid of that. i wanter her to be melancholically floating not furious but i have great difficulties to pull of the diference...

trefle thank you! ups - the sooulders were awfully stiff! i rounded them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies and overall sketchbook
    i enjoyed looking through it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, that little difference in the fin seemed to do alot, and her face seems younger, somewhat curious if I stare at it long enough.
    If you want her to just be floating I would recommend loosening up her shoulders, lowering them a bit and giving her elbows a bit of a bend, they're too thrust back to be relaxing. The shoulders seem tensed, that's why I thought she was fending something off, or making a dramatic gesture. Kind of like "bring it on!" Or you could model for yourself and find something. If I'm in doubt and can't find refrences I just do some poses in the mirror and try to remember them when I get to the drawing part.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to FearSelf For This Useful Post:

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, beautiful studies Katinki! The mermaid piece is looking good. How large is it? I think you should add some values to it to give more form, unless you were going for the comic/animation look. Any reference used for these? All of the thumbnails seem very stiff. Liven them up a bit.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Envisor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studie's.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^ I'm grateful I can be a help...
    And well, as Envisor puts it. It does looked.kinda...like she's trying to do a rendition of Gandalf's "THOU SHALL NOT PASS!" kind of thing...
    and in the third pic (the one with the speech bubble), I think the head's kinda weird... the forehead and the hair line seems...wrong.

But she did look pretty. XD Although I guess it's more of a mature, snarky kinda way instead of the ingenuous, cute, innocent way like Ariel..

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trefle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your work on anatomy, great job with working in shapes and shadows. I see that your work form reallife person was not at the same level, as you said yourself, but looking at the last ones, you did a great job.

All your digital paintings are really nice, I really like the one with the painting tube, great idea of painting.
    You are one who don't need to have someone telling to do more homeworks(anatomy, studies ^^). But I would like to see some more finish work from you, see the application of those studies.

Keep on the good work, and try the same thing with animals, that kind of the only constructive comment I can give ^^.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sickerman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wohoo! next update on the mermaid! i hadn't much time and worked only on her and did no studies
    she still isn't finished and i need to start painting her other form i hope to get the resmblance right ...

Grafguy: Thank you!

Fearself: following your advice i redrew her body and arms competly - i still kept the overall pose but it isn't as tense anymore. thanks a bunch!

Envisor: last version had no values because i wanted to get the figure right before woking on that, now i did a greyscale painting and then added colour washes. (and she's about 4 times as big)
    and yeah- you're right about the thumbnails, i just did a stickfigure and slapped cloth on it, i'll go fpr more expressive poses next time!

Joce: Thanks!

Trefle: I laughed on the Gandalf reference! i hope i got rid of it now... i hope i'll have time to start working on the other one later today and i'll watch out for the hairline!

Sickerman: Thank you! I'm trying to make this week's chow a more finished piece and i have a *lot* of problems with that. you're right i need to to that more often!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see an outburst of art here, lately, I like it that mermaid look nice as far as I can tell, as usual waiting for more, more, more

Cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

38. The Following User Says Thank You to R&F For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi..
    Great SB...
    I absolutelly love the Boys faces studies... Gorgeous!

Keep it coming!

Cheers!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to DidiHer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, it's good you laughed at it; I was afraid it went to the other side and went all-out being unfunny..

Now this is...wonderful. Love the colour, this certainly feels..under the sea (pun intended)

Now it doesn't look so stiff compared to the last one, but the palm still looked kinda stiff, IMO.
    And the shading, how the left arm looks so bright compared to the rest, looks like the light source were from the front side...is it what you're planning?

still, I may be overcomplaining here...>_<;

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Trefle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, really enjoyed your book. The digital paintings were my favorite, you did an amazing job with the colors. Wish I could critique, what I will suggest is maybe do skull and facial muscle studies like you have done with the rest of the body.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to aguilas990 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The progress on the mermaid is fantastic. The colors are very nice. Her right hand seems a little posed, the rest of her looks like she's trying to stop or something, while the right hand looks like she's showing something on display or thinking about holding something...if that makes any sense at all.

All of your studies are wonderful, the paint tubes are my favorite. You seem to be on a very nice track.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombunny27 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and again, just updates on my chow. i feel soooo slow!

i painted both versions in grey scale first and started applying colour and details. and i just realized that i have absolutely no idea what to do with the human version's background. nothing too fancy, but just a gradient isn't enough...

r&f & didiher thank you!

trefle you're not overcomplaining at all, i appreciate your input! the lighting is a bit difuse - i looked at a lot of underwater pics and there are always many light beams from different angels (i think that's because of the waves' unsteady surface). thus the light comes mainly from above. i could argue that the palm is turned upwards and thus lit pretty directly. but honestly i'm not sure what i'm doing...

aguilas990 thanks! i'm actually working my way up the body. i started at the feet and study arms at the moment. so i'll get to the head sooner or later.

hadesdream thank you! i originally wanted the mermaid to float melancholically but i couldn't pull it off...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im lovin the values. Very subtle color. I like it a lot. There's something weird about the foot on the right side. It looks a little off. Like the arch between the heel and the front of the foot is too large. I need to see more, more, more.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.