Sketchbook: Euphemism's Sketchbook; Dec 16th with new art and categories. D: - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Euphemism's Sketchbook; Dec 16th with new art and categories. D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice enviros at #16 and latest sketches are good to.

"A Question For Anyone, really", i think if painting or drawing is a concept, the guy or a women doesnt have to do something - its a concept though, artist concentrate on a figures, clothes, environment, detales or whatever designs.
    In the final painting artist put together all those designs together and he makes that figure to do something.
    So you can call those ''boring'' paintings or drawings - a concepts, and paintings/drawings that has action and its not boring for you - final works.
    Thats my thoughts, I dont know what im talking about, you should make a new thread at a ART DlSCUSSION or LOUNGE section to dicuss about this.
    And I agree with mohd al mahdi.

Last edited by P; August 24th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I take it you've entered RSoM at some point lol. The Labyrinth stuff is very sweet http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...&d=1219088622I liked this one and the almsot abstract digital paintings before it beautiful work and I will definetly return!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmelW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pijus - Thanks for that suggestion; I was really refering to a lot of finished art that had that dullness. I understand if it creeps into sketches or rough work, but even I try to avoid that happening in my own rough work.

Toffeeliz - I won RSoM in the first UK competition!! I was the artist for Rose By Any Other Name. It's printed in the first volume of the UK and Ireland Edition, check it out! </shameless plug> The Lady with the Fan you picked was inked with three different pens and a chisel marker.

I'm glad you like my work! *sniffle*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh! well done mate! I didn;t get my entry for last year finished and They aren't even doing it this year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Euphemism, nice updates as always. The studies look really nice, great perspective work and still lives/object studies. You've got an energy, accuracy, and confidence in your line that I envy hehe; the only crit that I can really offer on those is to watch your ellipses here and there. The Labyrinth works looks great as well; love that you could identify the characters very accurately while still giving them a nice stylistic look. Another ability I envy lol

As for your question about concept art involving very static and passive women in grand attire, I certainly agree with you. As nice as it would be to have an answer for why a certain person is dressed in a certain way or why this woman is holding a spear, it's not always the case. Now, I don't draw women in grand gowns or anything (I'm not good at drawing women in the first place lol) but I can imagine that in a field that tends to have a large number of male participants and viewers, people draw women like that simply for that fact. Most men like to look at pretty women lol And in instances where fulfilling this role is the main goal I'd imagine that the focus on the woman's pose, personality, and outfit can outweigh the reasoning behind it.

I remember being at the Met in New York last year and seeing people look at a very highly rendered painting of a woman sitting in a very ornate dress. A few said "Wow, it looks so real." then moved on. I don't think many standard viewers would step up and wonder about the time period of the painting, why this woman was posed as she was or why she wore what she did. Of course great images can explain on a number of levels why things are done as they are, but it's not always the case and to the masses I'd imagine this doesn't matter much. If the art you're talking about isn't super accessible to the main stream, however, then I think that content line is what starts to separate the good from the great hehe.

I guess to answer the last part of your question I'll talk about the main character for a project I'm going to be working on this coming semester. I chose a female character for a few reasons (I think women can better play certain character types than male characters can, and I also hadn't had any female leads in any of my storyboards up to that point ) and then I looked at what I want the viewer of the audience to take from her as a person. I decided I wanted her to be visually average, normal proportions and clothing, but I wanted her actions to really be a show of the type of person she is. Actions speak louder than words right? hehe Then I started working on designs... and that's where I am at the moment lol.

Bleh, well I hope that answers your question at least a bit; didn't expect to type that much and I probably trailed off there If you did open a topic in the discussion forum then I'll take a look over there at some point. Nice updates either way, keep workin away!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Onir For This Useful Post:

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there fellow irish person. i really like your drawings, your use of line is excellent, hopefully ill get there myself one day did you go to art college in ireland?

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, i like these last sketches . I cant really come up with any crits, i can only say i want to see more of your work, so post more !

Sketchbook

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    His thought is slow but always kind;
    He holds us all within his mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toffieliz - That's a shame! I busted my backside trying to get Irish artists to submit their works last year, but they made excuses like 'I can't think of a story' and ' I didn't get round to it', blah blah blah... Thing is, it could end up online like their Pilots and Preview manga... >_<; They've even shrunk the Manga Reader program you use to read these things too. D:

Onir - Thanks for getting the point of it!! I get what you're saying; and yes, there's a lot of overly 'perfect art' with little else depth to it. Speaking of design, I work with abstract shapes before I make a finished character - there's an example on my dA gallery here: http://probablee.deviantart.com/art/...signs-93584007 It pretty much explains itself in how I develop the actions and personality of a character, as well as throwing them in impossible situations...

'Lo, Rattsang! I studied animation at Ballyfermot Senior College; they beat the importance of Life Drawing into you, as well as the line quality that comes with it.

Thanks, Gorgeleon, so here's some more!

I've been doodling a Comic Book Heroine-type a while back, in the hopes I'd do a spoof Comic Book Female Drawing Tutorial on Deviantart; then I realised my pencils looked TOO professional for a spoof (and Michael Turner had died earlier this year without me knowing, thus evading a fan war). I've had more fun with my brush markers and drew the turtle and the Fat Lady (!). I've been doodling some animals and figures also. There's also a random manga-style sketch of some characters from an imaginary crazy anime. Then there's some concepts I've done for an anime club flyer - designing a mascot.

Attached Images Attached Images              

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update ! like this animals. CUTE
    For the last attachment, There is some problems with the girl left arm and her leg also. For me i feel that the pose is not natural enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, yinteck, I see what you mean about the girl's legs.. I'm posting a revision now; I'm trying to find a looser pose in such a cramped space which means tighter foreshortening or an anatomically detached nightmare: argh! I've just spotted that the star on her staff is crooked to the rest of the pole - will fix!! D:

Other new sketches... the animals done with a brush are part of a larger picture in my Deviantart gallery. The girl in fur is just a random character study, while the big-headed dude and his secretary is just one of those odd things I get out of my blood sometimes. And weirder pictures have occured.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a new ballpoint pen and thus doodled away!

Here's some updated versions I've made of a videogame character (Alex Kidd); and some anatomy studies from my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You sure have some good stuff; and Alex Kidd doesn't get enough attention these days.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!! Thank u so much for the correction in my anatomy. It is so much appreciated. And your SB is looking lively recently. I love the fluidity in your sketches. I will one day see my wrongs and correct them with ease. But, until then its crits like yours that will get me there the fastest. *Hugs*

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pen sketches and study. For the little girl you fixed.. Is better now, more smooth. Try apply more extreme foreshortening to her leg. I think it will be way better.
    Keep posting! Will drop by again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love you sketchbook. I really get drawn in by the pieces and they give me a happy feeling. I really think that's important. I don't know 'bout techniques but everything looks natural. All in all, I love your sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FightingSeraph, SaiVix, batang-gala: Thank you!!

Yinteck: Thanks for the further advice; I've dropped this particular project, but thank you for stopping by.

I'm updating with more colour! That's the theme for this bit anyhoo. The blue nude figure is a work I did about two or three years ago, but I'm still proud of how it turned out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you

Your alchemy stuff is destroying mine so far! I haven't posted any yet, but maybe tomorrow. Off the top of my head, here. The goblins are so good; i'm in love. The animals are wonderful; again, the line work is fearless and I'm a bit jealous! The kitchen scene was really striking and these last coloured line drawings of the woman - particularly the smaller image - this is great, great, great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1220734429

I love that one I think all in all you need to do some more colour studies from life, in paint if at all possible. Try to get the colours as exact to life as poss. You're really fond of media that has a fine point like coloured pencils, with paints you can use really thick brushes that give an image more impact and feel more solid

great shape in this one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1222101878 :loves:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi lady I have a question. What made you do those psychedelic colors? I really like them. It makes me think of 3d pics.

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow ... nice work here love the style, especially the ones done with markers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm not dead!!

Kinjura - WOOT!

Toffeeliz - Yeah, I need moar paint love. Hopefully I shall rectify this in the near future with summat other than cruddy speed painting.

SaiVix - Yo! I basically outlined - with pen! - around where shadows and light would be situated around the body, and coloured 'em in. :3

andy_man - Thank you!

Forgive these muddy-looking pictures; they were still in the plastic pockets whilst I scanned them to prevent pencil smudging. D: These were referenced from photographs this time. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Visual Diary. :3

I got a Concept/Visual Diary - half blank and half lined paper! - in the hope that I record the step-by-step process of creating my work. LOL! Fat chance!! D: Step-By-Step, pah bumhug.

Last edited by Euphemism; November 2nd, 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbnail Characters! :D

Here, I've been experimenting with character designs in the form of thumbnailing a small silhouette first - this will go to prove how recogniseable the character is at a distance, as well as him/her being unique from the rest of the cast (unlike say, Tokyo Mew Mew despite heights and colours... D: ) I've applied these thumbs to some bigger sketches here elsewhere in the hope of making a finalised design (something I never do....)... someday.

I've taken my influences from Mamoru Nagano, creator of The Five Star Stories and designer of anime's Most Gorgeous Mecha Ever. I've collected a few volumes of the FSS manga, as well as owning a copy of the film, and often refer to his works whenever I'm lost for inspiration. Check his work out!

FSS site, Gears, with artwork of characters and Mortar headds: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great ! your line work is getting better and better. Your character proportion is also improving fast.
    One comment - Keep doing what ur are doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a great line you have there, really nice sketches and good progress.
    You just inspired me into doing some more loose work. ;]

R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, yinteck and Fjooner!

Here's some miniature horses, tapirs and scribbly girls (con le pens, Alchemy, and the GIMP).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hihi, thanks for stopping by my SB.
    I definitely see a lot of life in your characters (hence the rant about passive, lifeless females?), and also great use of color to help them "pop" more!
    Hmm, you might benefit by pushing your values a bit more, though.

By the way, what the hell (pardon the language) is Alchemy??
    I see a lot of people using it for sketches. Is this something that I should consider investing in/downloading?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

You have a lot of interesting stuff here, it's always good to see someone who experiments a lot. I think the inked figure studies and animals are my favourites, followed by the pencil crayon work. Some of the manga-style characters are great (the Shirow-inspired guy in post #38, the Goblin King, that last Sarah) but the faces on some of the others look slightly off -- the eyes don't quite line up, or the features seem slightly in the wrong place. Of course, some of that is probably deliberate experimentation.

Anyway, I don't have much more to say than that. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the line quality in your work, and of course, the freshness in your characters Unique stuff indeed.

I do think you could benefit from investigating planar structure on things... like doing studies to clearly define the different planes of an object with appropriate value shifts. I wouldn't recommend doing it religiously so that it usurps your wonderfully characteristic work, but use it as a training tool so you are able to depict form more 'solidly'. Of course, this is just a suggestion, I know some artists don't prefer a more 'dimensional' look (and plenty of gorgeous work didn't do so). But some of your characters' faces look like they could use further investigation into the planes of the face.

Keep up the great work!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2