Have a look at my page, if you will

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Have a look at my page, if you will

Hi,

I just registered to this board. How on Earth didn't I notice it earlier? Some incredible work here and a lot of people who can help me improve.

You'll find my page at www.manuelc.com
    Have a look at everything, give me feedback, what do you like, what don't you, anything that helps!

I'm a 24 year old student, working on my MA (well, the German equal) in Communication Design. Though I'd love to work in the concept art/illustration business, as it is what I'm best at (yah, ask yourself how bad I must be in other stuff ). But I need to get better, way better!

JFYI, I'm kinda oldschool, meaning I still use pen and paper to draw. I am still getting used to my Wacom, it's such a strange feeling...:eek:

Last edited by Poison; October 31st, 2003 at 08:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you found the board
    It would be nice to see larger thumbnails in your gallery sections, would make it easier to browse the sections.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I looked at your work. I've been in video game art for 8 years, I can give you advice from that angle.

The character designs are fun but have a few problems for game characters:
    The designs need to show materials more explicitly, you wash with flat color where a texture artist would want to know is it leather? cloth? rubber?

The characters have one idea in them. For example you have girl with ice, guy with blue fins, guy with green tubes, guy with flames. Most game players want to have a character with more dimensions, history, a combination of defining traits. The one-dimensional characters are good for villans or bit parts though.

Your palatte of proportions is small, all of your characters are triangular top-heavy sorts with sly grins. I recommend practicing more realistic characters (there's no shame in using references) as well as abstract characters in a different vein... skinny elongated people, fat people, whatever. The flexibility will serve you well.

A technical tip, usable designs for 3-d characters need to be drawn from 2 or three angles. I think you'll find that forcing yourself to consider all the angles means your proportions will be more well thought-out.

Some of the images have very distracting backgrounds that look like after-thoughts, I'd leave them out or make them part of the compostion from the start.

Good luck, I hope I've been helpful.

yours, Pete.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also remove the obvious ripoff of the Quake 3 logo from your page. It does nothing to showcase your creativity.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Porkasaurus, I tested around a bit and 20 Pixel² seemed okay to me in 1024*768. What resolution do you use?

Pete, thanks for the help, I'll make sure to work on it!
    And you're right about the backgrounds, I'm aware...

And Fukifino, the funny thing is, I had my emblem years before Q3 came out! The M in my signature was always three vertical lines ||| and I just added the C of my last name like devil horns. I was thinking of that famous Baphomet skull.
    You might imagine I was really pissed when Q2 and later Q3became more and more like my emblem! I really love Q3, but I was first (maybe I should sue id after all?). So I somehow refuse removing it or come up with a new one.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.