Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A girl's gotta try (daily)

Thanks

A girl's gotta try (daily)

Hey, I'm Alexandra! I'm a fourteen year old girl and I've always enjoyed art, however its just now that I've started to become serious about it. Unfortunately, I've never been taught art, so I came to this site to learn the basics and get some crits from an art community. My goals would be to learn anatomy, values, and overall creativity. As of right now I have no clue where I should start. So a nudge in the right direction would be really helpful! Anyways, I'll post some of my drawings so anyone who's looking will get a good idea of where I stand right now.

A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)
    A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)
    A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)

If anyone can show me how to get a pic by the title it would be super helpful. Also, please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some of poses from my left hand today, pencil.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Hey! Welcome to CA. I do like your hand drawings in your second post.

Your anatomy seems to be a little off, mostly in the face area. The nose throws me off the most, but that's alright. I struggle with facial features myself. Just keep at it though. Be sure to step back from your drawing and take a good look at it, then ask yourself; "Does this look right? Is this really my finished product?". You may see more minor mistakes that could be fixed.

Keep on drawing. I'm sure you'll improve in no time.
    "Looking for critiques! Any help is appreciated."

Thanks
    Welcome! I started getting serious about art (sort of) around your age, right now I'm in art school. Yay!

I too am liking your hand drawings. Keep it up, draw from life as much as you can. You are your best model, draw draw draw your hands, get a mirror and draw your face. Try checking out some anatomy books so you can understand what's going on exactly underneath the skin. By knowing how the bones, muscles, basic structure looks and works, it will feel less like grasping in the dark when you are drawing them.
    Does your high school offer any drawing classes? If so, jump on that opportunity (hopefully you get some good teachers). If your high school doesn't really have much of an art program, perhaps check out a community college near you. I duel-enrolled at mine to get some basic art out of the way.

Thanks
    Sky: Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to go over my artwork with a more critical eye next time. And I'll do some faces!

Megadubitably: Thank you too! How are you liking art school? Do you have any suggestions on good anatomy books? I'm kind of stumbling in the dark here. It actually turns out that my school has a great art program, I've just gotten rejected every time I've applied. xD

So, for today some more drawings of my hands.I'll try to see if I can draw a self portrait tonight. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on anatomy books fell free to tell me.

Thanks
    So, I managed to sneak in a self portrait tonight. I'm not to happy about it. Most of it looks like me, but I think the eyes are way off. Are they too big, and not the right shape? Also, please tell me any anatomy book suggestions if you have time. Thanks!

Thanks
    So today, I did a drawing of my hand which I don't like very much. I think the thumb is kind of blob-like and could have been defined more. Then I decided to draw some eyes around it, considering how disappointed I was with the eyes in my self portrait. I drew my mom's eyes for life, and then a couple of eyes from a fashion mag I have. Also, I would still like some anatomy book suggestions, please. Thank you for looking!

Thanks
    So, today I went to the beach with my family, and unfortunately I wasn't able to get that much drawing done. However, while I was there I managed to sneak in a couple of life drawings. I still would still appreciate any anatomy book suggestion anyone has. Thanks!

Thanks
    Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman is fantastic. Andrew Loomis is equally amazing and you can actually download all of his old books in .pdf format almost anywhere if you Google him! I went through the trouble and found you this link to download them if you feel like it. It makes printing the pages a lot easier so you can take them with you and do a study at school, during a break, at lunch or whatever without having to lug around an entire book.

You're doing waaay better than most everyone at 14, so don't slow down, and just keep working at it! You're doing very well. Draw from life, but pay close attention to what you're drawing, what the lines mean, how you can manipulate the lines, textures, values to represent whatever it is you're drawing better. Just draw! Draw different things constantly, study anatomy, try out something totally random like the Daily Sketch Group or a Weekly Activity like Creature of the Week just to get your head moving!

I hope that helps some. Welcome to CA, Alexandra
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    IanE: Thank you so much, this sounds exactly like what I was looking for! Thanks for the tips as well. I will definitely do some line practices as I've noticed that I often go over mine multiple times creating a rather sketchy line that I'm not that happy with. You've been super helpful.

So, today I was out hiking with my mom and sis all day so I didn't have a huge amount of time to draw. However I took some pics (although they're not very good) of the mountain we were on. I hope to be doing some drawings of them because my environments are really horrible. And then tonight I managed to squeeze in a drawing from a photo in a mag. I think I could do better on the fabric, especially the pants, and making my edges sharper. I'll make sure to work on that and draw some more fabric/clothing. I'll also start on the loomis books tomorrow!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 917 Posts
    welcome to ca.
    i'm loving your eye with detail when it comes to fabric.
    my suggestion is that you draw bigger. you'll have neater sketches, and more room for detail. :]

Thanks
    great start and good works. the anatomy books mentioned are good, also a few Anatomy for Artists' reference books are nice to have as well (Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers is my personal choice for pure reference).

One thing that jumped out at me was that you try to render the self posed hands a bit too harshly. I'm fairly sure your hands don't appear that rough. The way you've done all the small shadows everywhere makes them look way older than your hands for your age should. Yes there are shadows playing across the skin, but going too dark (especially as dark as your outlines are) makes them come across as wrinkles more than shadows. I do like the fact you're willing to use your own hands and try to get them down well, so keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 643 Posts
    WATSUP!
    lol, heyia and well welcome to CA
    Well am a girl and i've just turned 14
    amazing isn't it hahahaha
    Really nice stuff so far, only crits i would give is what everyone else is giving
    Study anatomy, Study andrew loomis, bridgeman and hogarth
    Draw ffrom life, your hands, your bed, the pole lol your jeans just what ever it is draw it. Also draw alot from refeerence, people or again what ever it is.
    Try to draw what you see and not what you think it is, just get the lines right form right etc
    And just draw everyday and make it fun
    Keep it up, and theres alot of young peepz in this forums right now check em all out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast