Sketchbook: A girl's gotta try (daily)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A girl's gotta try (daily)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A girl's gotta try (daily)

Hey, I'm Alexandra! I'm a fourteen year old girl and I've always enjoyed art, however its just now that I've started to become serious about it. Unfortunately, I've never been taught art, so I came to this site to learn the basics and get some crits from an art community. My goals would be to learn anatomy, values, and overall creativity. As of right now I have no clue where I should start. So a nudge in the right direction would be really helpful! Anyways, I'll post some of my drawings so anyone who's looking will get a good idea of where I stand right now.

A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)
    A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)
    A girl's gotta try (daily)A girl's gotta try (daily)

If anyone can show me how to get a pic by the title it would be super helpful. Also, please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of poses from my left hand today, pencil.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Welcome to CA. I do like your hand drawings in your second post.

Your anatomy seems to be a little off, mostly in the face area. The nose throws me off the most, but that's alright. I struggle with facial features myself. Just keep at it though. Be sure to step back from your drawing and take a good look at it, then ask yourself; "Does this look right? Is this really my finished product?". You may see more minor mistakes that could be fixed.

Keep on drawing. I'm sure you'll improve in no time.

"Looking for critiques! Any help is appreciated."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome! I started getting serious about art (sort of) around your age, right now I'm in art school. Yay!

I too am liking your hand drawings. Keep it up, draw from life as much as you can. You are your best model, draw draw draw your hands, get a mirror and draw your face. Try checking out some anatomy books so you can understand what's going on exactly underneath the skin. By knowing how the bones, muscles, basic structure looks and works, it will feel less like grasping in the dark when you are drawing them.
    Does your high school offer any drawing classes? If so, jump on that opportunity (hopefully you get some good teachers). If your high school doesn't really have much of an art program, perhaps check out a community college near you. I duel-enrolled at mine to get some basic art out of the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sky: Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to go over my artwork with a more critical eye next time. And I'll do some faces!

Megadubitably: Thank you too! How are you liking art school? Do you have any suggestions on good anatomy books? I'm kind of stumbling in the dark here. It actually turns out that my school has a great art program, I've just gotten rejected every time I've applied. xD

So, for today some more drawings of my hands.I'll try to see if I can draw a self portrait tonight. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on anatomy books fell free to tell me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I managed to sneak in a self portrait tonight. I'm not to happy about it. Most of it looks like me, but I think the eyes are way off. Are they too big, and not the right shape? Also, please tell me any anatomy book suggestions if you have time. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today, I did a drawing of my hand which I don't like very much. I think the thumb is kind of blob-like and could have been defined more. Then I decided to draw some eyes around it, considering how disappointed I was with the eyes in my self portrait. I drew my mom's eyes for life, and then a couple of eyes from a fashion mag I have. Also, I would still like some anatomy book suggestions, please. Thank you for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, today I went to the beach with my family, and unfortunately I wasn't able to get that much drawing done. However, while I was there I managed to sneak in a couple of life drawings. I still would still appreciate any anatomy book suggestion anyone has. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman is fantastic. Andrew Loomis is equally amazing and you can actually download all of his old books in .pdf format almost anywhere if you Google him! I went through the trouble and found you this link to download them if you feel like it. It makes printing the pages a lot easier so you can take them with you and do a study at school, during a break, at lunch or whatever without having to lug around an entire book.

You're doing waaay better than most everyone at 14, so don't slow down, and just keep working at it! You're doing very well. Draw from life, but pay close attention to what you're drawing, what the lines mean, how you can manipulate the lines, textures, values to represent whatever it is you're drawing better. Just draw! Draw different things constantly, study anatomy, try out something totally random like the Daily Sketch Group or a Weekly Activity like Creature of the Week just to get your head moving!

I hope that helps some. Welcome to CA, Alexandra

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IanE: Thank you so much, this sounds exactly like what I was looking for! Thanks for the tips as well. I will definitely do some line practices as I've noticed that I often go over mine multiple times creating a rather sketchy line that I'm not that happy with. You've been super helpful.

So, today I was out hiking with my mom and sis all day so I didn't have a huge amount of time to draw. However I took some pics (although they're not very good) of the mountain we were on. I hope to be doing some drawings of them because my environments are really horrible. And then tonight I managed to squeeze in a drawing from a photo in a mag. I think I could do better on the fabric, especially the pants, and making my edges sharper. I'll make sure to work on that and draw some more fabric/clothing. I'll also start on the loomis books tomorrow!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 908 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to ca.
    i'm loving your eye with detail when it comes to fabric.
    my suggestion is that you draw bigger. you'll have neater sketches, and more room for detail. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start and good works. the anatomy books mentioned are good, also a few Anatomy for Artists' reference books are nice to have as well (Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers is my personal choice for pure reference).

One thing that jumped out at me was that you try to render the self posed hands a bit too harshly. I'm fairly sure your hands don't appear that rough. The way you've done all the small shadows everywhere makes them look way older than your hands for your age should. Yes there are shadows playing across the skin, but going too dark (especially as dark as your outlines are) makes them come across as wrinkles more than shadows. I do like the fact you're willing to use your own hands and try to get them down well, so keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WATSUP!
    lol, heyia and well welcome to CA
    Well am a girl and i've just turned 14
    amazing isn't it hahahaha
    Really nice stuff so far, only crits i would give is what everyone else is giving
    Study anatomy, Study andrew loomis, bridgeman and hogarth
    Draw ffrom life, your hands, your bed, the pole lol your jeans just what ever it is draw it. Also draw alot from refeerence, people or again what ever it is.
    Try to draw what you see and not what you think it is, just get the lines right form right etc
    And just draw everyday and make it fun
    Keep it up, and theres alot of young peepz in this forums right now check em all out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a la bapsi: Thank you, I love drawing fabric so I think I'm probably spending more time on it then other parts. I'll try to get the rest of my drawings up to that standard. I'll also draw bigger from now on.

jhgoforth: Thanks for the book suggestion! I'll try to get it from my library. Yes, I agree with you about the shadows on my hands, next time I do a batch I'll lighten them up.

lilnebo: Thank you to! It's cool to meet someone my age. I'll be sure to follow your advice as I really need to draw more.

So today I started reading Loomis' figure drawing book, I just scanned the whole book over today so I'll start doing the exercises in it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Today I wanted to try out different materials, so I ended up doing a couple of still lives from objects around the house. I'm particularly happy with my reflective black bird, it was my first time doing reflective stuff and I think I did okay. I hate the penny though, it isn't circular at all and not nearly as shiny as the real thing. I guess the only way to improve that is more practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Sorry I wasn't able to update yesterday. My family had an all-day get together. But I've done an exercise out of the Loomis book that wasn't too bad. However I definitely want to do it again because I don't think it turned out as good as it could have been. The front view's head looks like a blob and has absolutely no angles in it. Also it doesn't look wide enough for the rest of the body, but that could just be because I was usually drawing slimmer, non-proportionally correct guys. I think the other two drawing's heads look a lot more correct with the body. Also, on the back view I think I drew the lower arm too short, even if you consider the way it is bending. A couple of questions that I have from this exercise are; Are men normally this muscular, or was it just for the purpose of this exercise? Because when I pay attention to members of the opposite sex (though they happen to be guys my age) they are no where near as well built as the ones in this book. My other question is if I were to draw guys at different heights would they have smaller heads, or does the 8 head rule change slightly, or a mixture of both? Thanks for reading all of this!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha i know what you mean by family taking over your art time, they do that to me everyday so i have like 3 hours to draw
    Last studies looking good so far
    The lines are a bit messy though, try really taking time with your lines and every stroke and just observe where the lines go.
    STart with a very light sketch underneath and then go over it taking more time with your lines, darker in shadows lighter and thinner where the light is hitting. Also when your studying anatomy start off with learning the skeleton.
    I wouldn't recommened learning every single bone, but like the pelvis, the ribcage, the shoulderblade, the colar bone, arms, and legs and spine. Understand how they move which directions they can move in, simplifie the skeleton like loomis does and just move it in as many ways possiple. But while doing that keep an eye on your proportions.
    After doing that and just getting a pretty good grasp on it THEN start laying down where all the muscles go and stuff and AFTER that start just doing ref studies to see how it all looks underskin
    Take your time because well i've been doing it for 6 months and i pretty much suck but you get better and you understand more as you go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lilnebo: Thanks! I'll be working on my lines for sure. I'm not a fan of sketchy lines all over the place either. Also thanks for the bone suggestion. I'll go pick up a skeleton book or something at the library. Also, you are the farthest thing from sucking! The amount of dedication you put into your working is amazing, it's like you have super powers or something. I'm working towards have dedication like yours!

So today I did the woman proportion exercise in Loomis' book. I think it went better then the man's one. Again though, I'm not really happy with the front view. I'll think I'll do both of them again tomorrow. And the waving arm in the back view looks really messed up to me. I'm not sure if it's long enough. And then I did a stapler on my desk, I warped it a little bit at the tip, I believe. But a lot less than how much I was expecting it too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI

Yeah, I agree with you. The woman's figure is much better than the guys. I think is it so because of the control you have with your lines. In comparison, the Man's figure looks like you had less control.

You know who has a good skeleton and muscle study? I do! I was looking at Yinteck's sketchbook and I really like his studies. You should check him out here. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ecj+sketchbook

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SaiVix: Thanks, I really made an effort to control my lines in that one. I'll make sure to check out their sketchbook in depth, I just scanned through it and it looks pretty cool!

Today I did a still life of my sister's flashlight and a sketch of my foot. In the flashlight I wish I was able to make the silver inside it more metallic, I'll have to observe some more shiny stuff. In the foot sketch I think I got the basic shape of my foot right. However, I think I might have overdone the toes, because even though mine are really gross I don't think they're that bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too happy with today at all. I was being super lazy. And my drawings today prove it. I'm not happy with them at all, except I think my eyes from life are getting better. Tomorrow I'll go to the library and get a book on the skeletal system. God knows I need it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today I walked down to my local library to get out some anatomy books. Unfortunately, since my library is so small I had to request books into my library, One should be here tomorrow, and the next one in a couple of days. So in the mean time today I drew some of my features from the mirror. I think my eyes are improving, however my lips leave something to be desired. I don't think they appear as glossy/wet as my actual lips. I've realized that I don't think I'm drawing enough, only about 2 hours a day, so my goal will be to gradually work that up maybe an extra 15 minutes every few days, so that eventually all my spare time is spent on drawing. Except for my homework and sports, of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today I got out a skeleton book. And I figured a good place to start would be the skull. So today I spent just over 2 hours working on a front view of a skull. I'm glad that I was able to do that much drawing at one time, I think it's an improvement. Even if it doesn't look like much. (I'm a slow drawer). And then at the bottom is like a five minute sketch that I thought looked kind of cute. Something that I think is wrong with the skull is that it is kind of lopsided, I think I started drawinf it on an angle and didn't realize until I was nearly done. Also it's eyes sockets are like circles. In the book the eyes aren't rounded perfectly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool , I thought I was the only 14 year old on this whole website lol

its nice to find someone that you can compare w/ thats not a college student thats had formal training
    keep up the good work and plz post mo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ChrisBefeld: Nice to meet you too! I heard there's a few younger people on the sketchbook forum, take a look around. I really enjoy looking at pro sketchbooks though, they're really inspiring.

So today I re-did the front view of the skull I did yesterday. Today I took longer planning out the skull before I started shading it. I also spent alot longer shading and looked more at my ref's shadows. I think it definitely helped the drawing and its looks much more like the ref. I'm still not super fond of the eyes though, In total this drawing probably took about 3 hours. I guess gettin g faster comes with practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Keep up the postings lady. I did notice an improvement between the skulls. The first skull's eyes were totally lopsided, but was fixed in the update. But, now that you got that down, try not to make the eye sockets so circular. IRL, rarely are they that circular.

But, keep up the studying, ok? You are becoming better with every post, so post more.

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.