Soul Calibur IV

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Soul Calibur IV

Hybrid View

Thanks

Soul Calibur IV

I didn't see a thread about this game, possibly because you guys are all drawing Let me say "This game sucks because it's using ass and tits to sell." so nobody else says it after

Despite the obvious fanservice (orly?), I really like this fighting game a lot. It allowed me to dust off my PS3 I've been leaving around too! The game is easy learn but leaves huge openings for mastery. Great game if you're a competitive nut (like me).

Other than the WWE games (which never had a polished fighting system), SC4 probably has the most comprehensive customization system for a fighting game with its Create-A-Soul feature. I've spent more time in it than actually playing the game.

The biggest issue I've seen is how easy it is to win by spamming with a long-ranged character. Yes, there are countermeasures but a) lag gets in the way and b) countermeasures may not always be available and it may be hard to do without a lot of practice (as opposed to spammers who could win without practice). Doesn't help when my prefered style is Lizardman whose range is very short (I was perfect-ed three times in a row against a spammer ).

Is anybody else playing this game? How about on PS3? It'll be nice to face people of CA.org rather than always fight Kiliks, Nightmares, Siegfrieds, and Astaroths (you know what I'm talking about).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    I wish i could play this, but i have no money for a Ps3 or an Xbox360 =(

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Amaranth View Post
    I didn't see a thread about this game, possibly because you guys are all drawing Let me say "This game sucks because it's using ass and tits to sell." so nobody else says it after

Despite the obvious fanservice (orly?), I really like this fighting game a lot. It allowed me to dust off my PS3 I've been leaving around too! The game is easy learn but leaves huge openings for mastery. Great game if you're a competitive nut (like me).

Other than the WWE games (which never had a polished fighting system), SC4 probably has the most comprehensive customization system for a fighting game with its Create-A-Soul feature. I've spent more time in it than actually playing the game.

The biggest issue I've seen is how easy it is to win by spamming with a long-ranged character. Yes, there are countermeasures but a) lag gets in the way and b) countermeasures may not always be available and it may be hard to do without a lot of practice (as opposed to spammers who could win without practice). Doesn't help when my prefered style is Lizardman whose range is very short (I was perfect-ed three times in a row against a spammer ).

Is anybody else playing this game? How about on PS3? It'll be nice to face people of CA.org rather than always fight Kiliks, Nightmares, Siegfrieds, and Astaroths (you know what I'm talking about).
    I've been renting Soul Calibur 4 for about a week actually. The PS3 version, too. It's not quite as great as II, but it's still very good. Haven't actually bought it yet, and I'm waiting for the price to go down a little before I do so, but I really like it.

I second your thoughts on the Create-A-Soul feature. And yeah, the boobage in this game is getting a little ridiculous. But it could be worse. Just look at the Dead or Alive series.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    I have it for 360. I've only played online a bit, but in the short time I did I saw a lot of Apprentices. In fact just about everyone I fought was using the Apprentice. I've had a lot of fun with the build your own character stuff. I cant say that the boobage is over the top after having played a lot of Dead or Alive. It's not too tough as far as single player stuff goes, but there are some fun modes. The shear volume of techniques for every fighter is great. I only wish that there was a (unless there is and I havent found it yet) a training mode in which you can go through all the moves, like in DOA. Instead I'm flipping through menus and trying and flipping through menus and trying. Great fun though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    i really like the game, no doubt my favorite sc in my eyes, only thing i wish was there Tower levels had more...randomness to the rules. I liked that in sc1 a lot.

Lizardman really seems to have one of the greatest upgrades to the earlier characters. He was my favorite earlier on but he sucked in 2 and 3..

I really cant stand how "cheap" Maxi and Kilik can be played as. Same with Algol, Yoda, and the Apprentice.

I dont mind the super sized breasts really, but some characters are honestly just... embarrassing to play as. I do not want people seeing me ever play ivy, luckily you can make a custom character.

and i agree hook, the training is annoying. I cant even find lists yet for lizardman..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davi View Post
    Lizardman really seems to have one of the greatest upgrades to the earlier characters. He was my favorite earlier on but he sucked in 2 and 3..

I really cant stand how "cheap" Maxi and Kilik can be played as. Same with Algol, Yoda, and the Apprentice.
    I never did try out Lizardman before SC4. I was used to spamming with guys with long weapons in the previous installments until I've noticed an abundance of long ranged spammers online. If he got upgraded, it certainly doesn't make him easy to play (which makes things challenging)! I don't like losing to Maxis and Kiliks despite having them spam the same 3 moves but I think I (and other people) will start improving gradually to consistently beat these newb-friendly styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords
    In fact just about everyone I fought was using the Apprentice
    Apprentice doesn't seem all that powerful unless the player knows what he/she's doing. A lot of people may have chosen him because they've got destroyed in Stage 7 of the Arcade mode. In actuality, Apprentice spammers are easier to deal with than guys like Kilik, at least for me as a Lizardman. It will be scary to face an Apprentice who knows what they're doing, though!

And glad you like the game, ninja.

If anybody wants to face me online, my username on PS3 is TheAmaranth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Yup. I just picked it up for my PS3

I switch back and forth between Taki and Mitsurugi mostly. The character models and bump mapped textures are astounding. I've been a big fan of the series since Soul Blade and I love seeing all the classic characters evolve through the various iterations. This one blew me away. I love most of the redesigns though the New Nightmare by far surpasses the rest as the most visually impressive. Cervantes' new design is great as well.

I just wish the online mode was a touch more responsive and that the single player arcade mode felt a bit more random.

Thanks
    I was amused by the create a soul Physique adjustment and how you can INFLATE or DEFLATE the female characters natural buoyancy while nothing else changes pretty much. Unless a feminist is reading this then I was disgusted. Thoroughly.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the game, not with my lack of xbox live (seriously not worth it since i don't play enough for it to be worth purchasing) although I was a big fan of The Chronicles mode from III and was really looking forward to seeing something like that upgraded.

S'all about Yoshimitsu... I aim to annoy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Amaranth View Post
    I never did try out Lizardman before SC4. I was used to spamming with guys with long weapons in the previous installments until I've noticed an abundance of long ranged spammers online. If he got upgraded, it certainly doesn't make him easy to play (which makes things challenging)! I don't like losing to Maxis and Kiliks despite having them spam the same 3 moves but I think I (and other people) will start improving gradually to consistently beat these newb-friendly styles.

Apprentice doesn't seem all that powerful unless the player knows what he/she's doing. A lot of people may have chosen him because they've got destroyed in Stage 7 of the Arcade mode. In actuality, Apprentice spammers are easier to deal with than guys like Kilik, at least for me as a Lizardman. It will be scary to face an Apprentice who knows what they're doing, though!

And glad you like the game, ninja.

If anybody wants to face me online, my username on PS3 is TheAmaranth.
    I've been having so much fun with making characters that I still havent gotten my feet really wet online. I've heard people complaining about these above issues though. Here, in reviews, etc. My question is this. Is it a case of button mashing? Spamming a few moves? Because really what is brought up here, on the fundamental surface, is the tactics of weapon combat. I've found in my single player escapades that this game is very good at presenting fundamental weapon combat situations. You say dealing with Kilik as Lizardman is a pain. It should be. Staff vs a short ax is going to take some finesse as the ax-man, or ax-lizard man as the case may be.

There are a few basics in weapons combat that exist no matter your martial discipline. I train in Kung fu, which deals with an array of short, medium and long weapons. How the weapon is used is of course based on pros and cons of the weapon. In a long vs short scenario, the long weapon should be made to commit first. This way the shorter weapon wielder can react and try to close the distance.The long weapon wielder wants to keep you at a distance, in the effective range of the weapon. To compromise this the short weapon wielder has to get inside of the effective range of the long weapon, where it is at a disadvantage. I've found that this game very much reflects that. You can very well keep an enemy at bay with a long weapon, like Kilik's staff. If the short wielder gets inside that effective range they can quickly gain an upper hand. If face to face, it can be very hard for the long weapon wielder to regain composure without first having taken a number of hits. When using with a character that wields say nunchuku or the bladed tonfas you really got to get in there, almost like a fist fight.

On a side note, I havent played the lst few members of this franchise. There used to be a character in the first, and maybe second game...I dont remember his name but I loved playing him. He had a weapon that was basically nunchuku with blades on the ends. Anyone remember this guy? What happened to him?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords View Post
    On a side note, I havent played the lst few members of this franchise. There used to be a character in the first, and maybe second game...I dont remember his name but I loved playing him. He had a weapon that was basically nunchuku with blades on the ends. Anyone remember this guy? What happened to him?
    The guy was Li Long I believe and he basically got replaced by Maxi the Bruce Lee wannabe.

If the short wielder gets inside that effective range they can quickly gain an upper hand. If face to face, it can be very hard for the long weapon wielder to regain composure without first having taken a number of hits. When using with a character that wields say nunchuku or the bladed tonfas you really got to get in there, almost like a fist fight.
    I do agree long ranged fighters should have the advantage in long ranged combat and should fight for the distance. A short ranged fighter should, theoretically, eat long-ranged fighters alive in close combat.

It sounds good in theory, but what makes Kilik more noticable for spamming than, let's say, Siegfried, Nightmare, and Astaroth is that Kilik has the range AND speed (finesse). This proves to be a problem because Kiliks can change levels of attack much quicker than other long ranged fighters can.

What does this mean? If my Lizardman gets into the distance with others, I start my combos which a short-ranged fighter should do. If I get the "Crawl" (Lizardman specialty) beside a downed opponent who is a long-ranged fighter, they will have a tough time to get out of my combos and constant pressure. Kilik, because some of his attacks are very quick, can recover MUCH easier at short distances than other long-ranged fighters can. This can be done by pretty much anybody; they can mash buttons since Kilik is pretty damn fast for a lot of his attacks considering his range, whereas guys like Siegfried needs specific moves (since most of his moves are slow) to deal with close-ranged fighters. It doesn't help that Lizardman is one of the slower short-ranged fighters in the game. If long-ranged fighters are supposed to be in a disadvantageous position when fighting close-up, I'm not feeling it against Kilik.

I don't lose to every Kilik, though, I am having a ridiculously harder time dealing with Kiliks who spam than a person using other styles and doing more than three moves. Kiliks who actually know what they're doing and not spam three moves? I just give up. I am getting better but I would be lying if I said I have even a 25% win rate against Kiliks.

Why do I keep playing Lizardman? Because it feels good to be the underdog. I have yet to meet another Lizardman player online. Sorry for the ranting but I had to expel all my rage accumulated from losing to Kiliks. I'm still searching for a way to safely approach a Kilik while being able to stay there. I know I've stated Siegfried/Nightmare/Astaroth as spammable in the opening post but I've learned to make it an even fight against them.

I'm not claiming to be the guru of Lizardman or Soul Calibur 4. If somebody has ideas to deal with Kilik (especially as Lizardman), by all means tell me (except to "change my main character" :/ ). I just haven't been able to do it. Until I do, I'm avoiding Ranked Matches like a plague.

EDIT: On a side note, I forgot to mention how devastating even slight lag can be. It makes guard impacts harder to do which certainly would have helped me against Kiliks.

Last edited by Alex Chow; August 7th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
    The Apprentice is one of those characters who's awesome in the right hands and terrible in other people's. If you know what you're doing with him, you will kick ass with him.

I love how you can give your custom characters styles from pretty much every character. I don't particularly like Maxi himself that much, but his style is awesome. Same with Yun-seoung.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Astaroth is very easy to beat the single player tower with :o

You just use
    1a(h) 1a(h)-a

Joypad setup:

a = horizontal slash
    h = hold button

also customize him so he can use drain hp A and if you can figure it out, venom drain C doesn't hurt.

I believe i had to use an Astaroth or Siegfried with Venom A, and some...drains when on tower like 45 cause they dont like physical damage very well :|

Thanks
    I'm beginning to see what you've been saying. I've come across a few very cheesy builds using limited moves. Kilik is one. I've come across a couple Cervantes abusers as well.

As far as lizardman goes, I did come across one the other night. The custom build was great too. The guy made him look like the drone warriors from Aliens. When he went into the crawl it was just perfect.

I'm sure we've all seen/made some celebrated character builds. What are some cool ones that you've seen/made? I've seen some great ones. Alien, Spiderman, Speed Racer, Morpheus, to name a few I can think of. I've made Joker, Harley Quin, Afro Samurai, and Altair (Assassin's Creed). The best one I've seen was that Lizardman Alien though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.