Ugly Painting is Ugly- HALP

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

PrettyPinkKitty is offline is bravely offering you the chance to tear her down and rebuild her
    Several places: GA, VA, and NH, in that order
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ugly Painting is Ugly- HALP

This painting needs help like a car crash victim rapidly exsanguinating.

This was an experiment, admittedly but I think that when it didn't pan out, I kind of half-assed it and made it worse than before ><

Foreground: Acrylic
    Background: Watercolor

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most striking problem is the tangent tent - horizon - figure. The tent dominates the picture because its to saturated in comparison to the other objects. The elbow is hard to read and should be imo represented in the silhouette.

That all said, your painting is not as bad as you may think. It's traditional and as such you can not "cheat" with undo funktions. I could imagine children would really like it for bright colours and lots of details to explore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib View Post
    Most striking problem is the tangent tent - horizon - figure. The tent dominates the picture because its to saturated in comparison to the other objects. The elbow is hard to read and should be imo represented in the silhouette.

That all said, your painting is not as bad as you may think. It's traditional and as such you can not "cheat" with undo funktions. I could imagine children would really like it for bright colours and lots of details to explore.
    I agree. Children tend to care more for simplicity, this embodies relative simplicity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...

Well one thing I am sure of is this. If you label your art as being "ugly" then you have already predetermined the outcome of your critique. Try not to be so negative. If you have mistakes then let others find them and don't beam a spotlight on them. If you are aware of things that are flawed then make them right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your otter! He's cute, although I prefer he not be staring at me like that.

The ferris wheel is odd, that it's obscured by clouds. It sort of makes me think that something is on fire, to have such thick, low lying smoke like that.

PrettyPinkKitty is offline is bravely offering you the chance to tear her down and rebuild her
    Several places: GA, VA, and NH, in that order
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oops, I guess that means I haven't visually communicated well enough that that's supposed to be trees. Back to the drawing board on those!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOVE the idea!

Ok, your trees and sky look very similar tonally as well as shape-wise, which is why there's confusion.

I'm guessing that part of the frustration is that it doesn't look 'right'. No matter what the subject is, nail the forms in pencil before you paint. If something is stiff or wonky in the pencil, paint isn't going to hide it.

Looks like you did what I do too often - just start without planning out the composition(poor lil guy's tail got cut off). For the next one, do a bunch of rough, teeny sketches until you get one that feels good and balanced.

Spend more time on the first steps, and the paint part will be much easier.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.