Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thanks ConceptArt.org!

Thanks

Thanks ConceptArt.org!

Wow I think there's around 3 threads a week here about some guy or girl that states how much they suck at art and how difficult the path is or to find inspiration and the power to move on.

Just want you to know that I am none of that. At times I say silly little things like I'm not worthy, I'm a noob or whatever, but I know with 100% certainty that I will be successful. You know why? It's because I work my fucking butt of to be up there on top (figuratively as well as literally speaking).

All these guys telling me I'm too old, I have no talent, I shouldn't waste my live, I'll take your words and shove it down into your throats until your indulgent selfcentered little hypocrisity is coming out of your asses.

A toast to CA and all those fine people here that make it possible for me to learn my craft! I hope you keep your level that high for a loooong time to come!

cheers!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Heh. Don't do the victory dance until you're in the end zone.

Actually, I've just had a peep at your sketchbook and I'll think you'll do good, too. You've got some lovely stuff in there and a clear arc of improvement from beginning to end.

Just making the general point that the people who are down on themselves have a better chance than the people who overestimate what they've got. The people who are depressed about their skill level are probably comparing themselves to the best and are able to see that they aren't there. The ones that don't drop out from sheer angst have a path to get better.

I cringe when I see adults post, "I know I can make it because I have faith in myself" and then I go look at their sketchbook and think, "ouch."

Artists are like compulsive gamblers. We believe in the one-in-a-million chance. But that means 999,999 times we're wrong.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    We believe in the one-in-a-million chance.
    Good enough for me!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I'll settle for 1/10th that...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
Seriosuly Stoat, what are you talking about ?

you made a good point in the middle
Just making the general point that the people who are down on themselves have a better chance than the people who overestimate what they've got. The people who are depressed about their skill level are probably comparing themselves to the best and are able to see that they aren't there. The ones that don't drop out from sheer angst have a path to get better.
but man... its up to YOU if you want to get good at art. HAHA art is not some random gaming system that just 'some' understand or have the 'luck' to find a way through.

You work your goddamn ass of if you want to get good, if you don't want to get good, keep drawing the same shit over and over til' you rock at something that sucks... No big deal ?

I'm glad to see the high spirit from Faust, Ilaekae and The amaranth though
keep that shit up...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like that you are communicating this Faust. I often feel the same way about CA.

I watched an inspiring interview with the creator of "5 centimeters per second", an anime OAV, it which is discussed how he created the movie, in his apartment, with friends, over a year and a half.

Animation is his life, and all he thought about it.
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    Seriosuly Stoat, what are you talking about ?

you made a good point in the middle

but man... its up to YOU if you want to get good at art. HAHA art is not some random gaming system that just 'some' understand or have the 'luck' to find a way through.
    Oh, to be young again. Random. Luck. The levers that move the universe.

Not every dude who lifts weights is going to be Schwarzenegger, no matter how hard he trains.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Or how many steroids he takes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 643 Posts
    Agree with you faust
    Really Ca is just amazing

Thanks
    Stoat, I see where you are coming from and considering your skill and experience, there is nothing for me to argue about your opinion or even raise my voice against. It's basically the same as Kev Ferrara who occasionally says something like "You don't just pick up your pencil and be awesome, only a very selected few can reach a higher level ith a lot of training" to issues like this.
    I do agree on that point fullheartetly, really, BUT another thing you and others seem to imply on that matter is the idea that you're wasting your time when you start working after your teenage years, it's really what brings me down, hearing that from professionals, that I should give up and do something else since it's too late already. Actually, I already became that sensible to that point that I read this attitude in your depiction of adults specifically.
    Maybe you will never respect me as an artist no matter how hard I train and how big of a leap I make. But that has never been my intention, doing this for myself.
    I tried working as something else, I made my MSc and collected experience in my studied field of work for some time. But in the end I reached the conclusion that I really can't do anything else than draw in my life and to be able to do it on the level I want to I realized that I have to make a lot of sacrifices and make art THE top priority.
    So what? Maybe I won't be as good as a Mullins or a Ferrara or you, but why the fuck should that be a reason to stop what I love doing?
    Don't take that as an offense, I do not have a grudge against you, I don't even know you.

The Amaranth, Ilaekae,
    Dile_, Matsign, Algenpfleger, lilnebo I'm really thankful for your support, really means a lot to me.
    Last edited by ~Faust~; August 3rd, 2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Damn you, academic titles and your abbreviations!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, Faust. I really don't think it was Stoat's intention to imply that you are wasting your time.

Also, I find it admirable that you have decided to chase your dream. So many people seem to go through their lives never chasing theirs. Best of luck to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    BUT another thing you and others seem to imply on that matter is the idea that you're wasting your time when you start working after your teenage years, it's really what brings me down, hearing that from professionals, that I should give up and do something else since it's too late already.
    Whoa! Projection much?

The only reason I mentioned age is that you're supposed to suck when you're young. You can't help it -- even with talent, it takes time to master all the fiddly little skills involved. I don't care what they say, I've never seen a kid I considered a genuine art prodigy. So when I see someone post work with a very basic skill level, I do them the favor of assuming they're young.

Someone who's older who posts work at that level, I have to wonder how much self-awareness they have. And without an awareness of how high the mountain is and how far down the side of it you are, you probably aren't going to climb very high.

Your sketchbook is good and getting better. Relax.

But seriously -- you gave up a medical career? Jesus. I wanted to be a hospital pathologist in the worst way, but I didn't really have the skillset for med school. I lumme some microscopy.

Fate's a bitch, ain't she?

Thanks
    Hmm seems there's still a lot of angst in me left... Sorry about that, after reading your post, Stoat I think I indeed projected quite a lot into it. Sorry about being immature.

EDIT: Oh, I just looked up the title MD, I thought it meant "Master's degree" but it does indeed mean "medical doctor"... Well, I am a clinical psychologist so I AM supposed to work in a hospital wearing a white cloak and spilling out a lot of strange vocabulary, but not everyone sees that as a medical career. So I guess there as a misconception. Still a steady and save future I kind of left behind.
    Last edited by ~Faust~; August 3rd, 2008 at 10:58 AM.

• Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast