Becoming an Art Teacher?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Becoming an Art Teacher?

I haven't seen much about it, and I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a teaching degree for art at a high school level and maybe college in the far future.

So.
    For the questions:
    1. Where are the best places/colleges/universities to go, if any?

2. What kind of degree is needed to teach art? BFA? MFA?

3. It would probably be easier and faster to get a BFA and then take an education course, right? I ask because I was looking at Wayne State University, and to get a degree to teach art, aside from some "methods of teaching" classes, everything else were basic art/drawing/computer art classes.

Hopefully I'm making sense. D:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to be an art teacher for 7th-12th grade, all you really need is a teaching credential (after a 4 year degree). Some people will get their BA or BFA in art and then go on to a credential program, others will study Art Education (which may allow you to also teach grade school art), but they also must do the credential program.

Note that private schools and charter schools often hire professionals without a teaching credential, but all public schools require one.

If you want to teach at a university level, you will typically need your MFA. Again, this goes more towards public universities, as many private universities will also just hire professionals. Many community colleges will hire people with their MAs, though in art, many people will get hired with only their BA or BFA, or no degree at all.

You have a lot of options. You could see about going to state university that has a great art program, and then after 4 years, finish and apply to another university that has a great credential program. Or, you could look specifically for universities that have Art Education offered, and compare their programs.

I think that if you are feeling a little uncertain at all whether or not you would like to teach, that it would be wisest to attend a good art school so that you are adequately prepared, and then see if you are still interested in earning a credential.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you decide to teach k-12 you will need a 4 year degree and usually an extra year to get a piece of paper that says you can teach. If you want to Teach on a college level you will need an MFA and then you will usually have to find an adjunct position and work your way to full time then after 10 years you will get full tenure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I figured I would first get my degree in illustration/design and then my teaching credentials.
    I just need to find a place that I can get a license to teach in smallest amount of time.

But thank you, the both of you. : 99

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctos View Post
    If you want to be an art teacher for 7th-12th grade, all you really need is a teaching credential (after a 4 year degree). Some people will get their BA or BFA in art and then go on to a credential program, others will study Art Education (which may allow you to also teach grade school art), but they also must do the credential program.
    While this is true, having an MFA will likely raise your salary and make it easier to find work. Whether this boost is worth the time and money of getting the degree is questionable, but you shouldn't write it off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    While this is true, having an MFA will likely raise your salary and make it easier to find work. Whether this boost is worth the time and money of getting the degree is questionable, but you shouldn't write it off.
    I don't know, it seems to me that if you are going to put in the average 100K to get the MFA, you might as well push to be a professional artist- unless you can find a good state school to get your MFA in. It IS true- the higher your education, the more they typically pay you, but you also have to figure out if you will be able to comfortably pay your loans back. Buyer beware- I do know of one person, a non art teacher, who went back to school to get their masters- and the MA degree has created a bigger financial burden, despite the slight pay increase, than before when she had only the BA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He/She could always go to a smaller State University and get a MFA in Fine Art. There is always a good shot at getting a full tuition waiver somewhere. It may be in Wyoming or somewhere in the middle of nowhere but there are really good possibilities. I would look into the University in Reno Nevada. They have just started their MFA program"relatively new" and it is small. There is a Professor there named Michael Sarich is who is awesome. Either way If you do get an MFA you will start off making about 5-10 g's more than with a BFA. But you will still have to attain a licensure to teach which usually involves an extra year for certification. Looking at an extra 3 yrs depending on a 2 or 3 yr grad program. I suggest looking for a grad program and getting a free ride.. It happens all the time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.