Two stilllifes
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Two stilllifes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Two stilllifes

hello there!

here are two stilllifes i did trying to prepare a portfolio (for AP art and college). im not sure if they are good enough to include, if not they were good practice.

i'd really appreciate a critique and any advice on getting better

sorry for the bad quality/lighting they were too big to fit into my scanner.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lady nerevar; December 15th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only see about 3 value changes in these. So, the main thing I can say is, push your values! More lights and darks. I think the main values you are lacking are your lightest light and darkest dark. And, be careful of your sketchy pencil marks, try to make them a bit cleaner, not such a scratch movement. It seems to me, for a beginner you have an eye. You just need to work on it. I say keep working on still life's for a while. Maybe do at least 10 more of these. Setting up different objects and setting up a light source for stronger value ranges. Make sure you understand basic shapes and the way light effects objects. If you are feeling these are too easy, start attending life drawing(drawing a real life nude model). If you can't afford, or can't get to a life drawing drop in class, go outside and draw trees or anything you lay your eyes on, things that interest you. Just by drawing all of the time, you will automatically start seeing your skills improve.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinBeckett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justinbeckett is absolutely right: you should push your value range further and make your lines less sketchy.

You should also try to incorporate some sort of background. Simply blocking it in dark, and indicating a shadow underneath your subject is always better than having your subject just float in space.

Good luck =)

SSG Buddies
    Eerin | Hapun | Eromenos

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, ive tried to incorporate some of your advice

here is the updated skull and ivy. ive tried to push some of the values using charcoal (though ill need to do it even more i think) and added a simple black background. improvement?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.