Sketchbook: Gabriel and the Sketches - [UPDATE: Janurary 20, 2010]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gabriel and the Sketches - [UPDATE: Janurary 20, 2010]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gabriel and the Sketches - [UPDATE: Janurary 20, 2010]

Diaforetikos' Daily Sketchbook
    -INTRODUCTION-
    Hi everyone! Thank you for stopping by. I'm kinda new here, but not new to art. I've been into art since the 3rd grade but after I graduated from high school, I stopped taking art seriously... until now.

I am making this sketchbook so I may better myself. This is a serious dedication to myself and it may be one of the biggest in my life. This is my promise: "I, Orlando Larks, vow to draw everyday for the rest of my life." Very simple, but hopefully very powerful. This isn't a joke. I'm tired of wasting my life at a job I'm never excited about. Only to come how to a paycheck that is never enough. I love art and always have, so hopefully I can do something with art and maybe give myself a better life.

I know there are a lot of sketchbooks that claim they will be dedicated, so I don't want to claim. I want it to be a vow to me and to everyone else that reads this. I have to do this.

The journey to becoming a great artist will be long and hard, but I don't plan on giving up. I want to become a concept artist. Maybe freelance. Anything art is good. But first comes the hardest part... practice.

Here is my list of things to practice:
    • Anatomy
    • Color and Light
    • Perspective
    • Composition
    • Shading/Value
    I don't think there is a specific order in which they should be arranged seeing as how they are all important in art.

For the first part my of training comes everyone's favorite, anatomy. I don't know how many sketchbooks I've seen that had anatomy. It is a very difficult subject. I'm thinking about enrolling in a figurative art class for my anatomy practice. This will be my hardest task and plan on this part being the longest.

My first images will be old stuff. I don't have much, and they are all old anime wanna-be stuff. I'm not into drawing anime anymore. Just posting it show everyone where I'm at with my art. Hopefully I'll get some tips from everyone. Here is my work.

Thanks for stopping by!

Attached Images Attached Images                                  
    Last edited by Diaforetikos; January 20th, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey great start man. Keep posting more drawings, and I wouldn't say stop drawing anime, because you're doing great, but incorporate it into your stylized figures and of course show some anatomy studies when you have 'em.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some work from tonight. I just finished it. I was busy all day, so didn't have much time to draw. Just a study of heads and eyes. Gotta keep going. Gonna add more tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Bear is awesome, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. I just got home from work and decided to post my daily artwork. Not much today. Just some studies. I still need work on them, but I find them decent for my level. Thanks to the people who gave me feedback.

To vangaert: I don't really like doing anime as much as I use to. My style is a western/anime mix up. Hopefully my style will bring itself out as I become better. Thanks for the input.

To Ty Oulton: That was the first piece of work that I colored with my tablet. Haha. This is one of my favorites.

Here are today's studies:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,171 Times in 1,967 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi diaforetikos ( you have any relation with greece? just curious)
    I like your characters very much and i also love the bear .
    If you work hard on anatomy studies you will understand the body so well that after that your tries to make anime-style chars will be different.But you will also be able to mix the two styles because the characteristic thing of anime characters is their face and hair.
    Keep up

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's today's stuff...

To kingkostas: No, I have no connection to Greece. I am a christian and like the bible and its origins. Greek was one of the original languages and thought that would make a nice name. Haha. Thanks for the advice.

As for my work today, not a lot which is kinda depressing. But then again today hasn't been all that fun. I had church early this morning then work right after till 8:00pm. Got home and my brother was doing web design. By that time I lost interest. I am very disappointed in myself. Luckily I have a day off tomorrow to make up for lost work. Hehe.

Anyways, heres the goods:

Just head study from my mind to see what I know which isn't much, but I'll get better, just watch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haaha i was confused by the name, ok then
    Well dont be dissapointed, this thing happens also on me.And my brother do web design lol(just the same).
    Well i like the head(the big one) cause its starting to built the face.Try to draw also the boundaries that the nose will be inside(it will be like a rectangular but it will extrude from the base model.
    Also i have to say that andrew lewis have a nice technique in doing faces and its very easy.Try to find it somewhere.
    Keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To kingkostas: Thanks for the advice on the nose. I'll look it up ASAP.

As for my art today goes... not so good. I didn't even touch a pencil today. It was my day off and I was kinda enjoying myself.

I can't stop drawing though. A day off is no excuse for me not to draw. I work tomorrow, but before then, I will sketch some more anatomy. I need a new anatomy book, but I'm broke until Friday, so if anyone can recommend some online anatomy reference sheets, I would be so happy. Thanks.

I need to discipline myself to draw everyday. I feel so bad. I don't like regretting anything, but I do. I guess I gotta wait for morning to roll around so I can get a second chance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok dont worry and dont push yourself.When you dont have the highest mood to draw check this link and you will get some
    maybe you already knew it http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50389

btw check www.posemaniacs.com it will help your anatomy studies.Dont just copy but also try to observe and understand how muscles form the body.
    Keep up ill wait for update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your helpful comment in my sketchbook - Some cool stuff in here, keep up the anatomy studies, and try not to worry about not feeling like drawing sometimes, we all get the ups and downs - If you're still looking for reference and havn't seen this site, its a great resource for human reference-

http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=photosets

Also the site kingkostas mentioned is really good. Keep up the studies when you're not feeling very inspired, and keep posting

Ok this link isn't working when I click it, but paste it into your net browser and it should work. Sorry!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so I haven't been posting like I said I would, but for a good reason. I got a promotion at work. Its been stressing me out and drawing has been the last thing on my mind. But I have still been drawing. I've also been looking up figure drawing classes. I haven't found one yet. They have been out of my price range. But that won't stop me from learning. I'll post up some pictures I've been working on. Just gotta scan them in. Thanks for the views.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I haven't posted in this thing in a while. I feel terrible about it. But I am happy to say that I am back.

I actually started a sketch a day with my friend queazy.
    I'm just posting today's work.

Quick sketch, no ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    disappointed, you said a lot on your first post.
    but you did not do what you said.
    Come on give me more drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all. I did a quick sketch today after work and dinner. Stayed up way too long. Anyways, I didn't get to finish it. The legs were so frustrating.

I mostly drew this to test my knowledge of my upper body anatomy.

Also, sorry to disappoint you sarotekung. Hopefully my next few posts will suffice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't posted in a couple days. I suck at building good habits, and work sucks. But I live through it and try my best. I'm actually starting to take art seriously again, I even got rid of all my video games. Over 500-600 dollars worth of video game stuff was either sold or thrown away. And I'm just guessing it was that much. Anyways, (I love getting off topic) here is my art.

Some of this stuff is a couple months old, some are a few days and some are today. I'm just now getting into studying anatomy so bare with my horrible skills. But I will get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to see you back on track again,keep working hard
    I do it too.I quit many things to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time for another update. Im so bad when it comes to uploading. Haha, laziness and I are good friends.

Anyways, I've been sketchin and what not, but haven't posted anything because, like I said, I'm lazy. But I have been drawing so don't worry about me falling off.

As for this pic, I started it about a week or two ago, assuming it was gonna be a simple sketch. I got carried away and valued the whole thing. And thats where we are today. Ta dah!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man! Good to see some commitment! I notice you seem to be using the posemaniac models for longer drawings (facial studies etc) which is fine, as you can clearly see what lies beneath the skin, but I would recommend drawing from nude models (life drawing is best but it can be done from photos too), as you must remember that even though we do study conventions like the 8 head figure, everyone is unique, whereas with posemaniacs every picture you draw is based on the one male or female model, and also because I have noticed some mistakes in one or two poses on posemaniacs (muscles passing into eachother as opposed to pressing against eachother etc) but that's just the sites models, not your drawings.
    Anywho, I like the anime style you have going and can only imagine how it would look after some anatomy study, perhaps something like the stylised characters you see in the later Final Fantasy games.
    Nice work on the pieces you've posted so far!!
    Keep up the good work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, really good studies you got going here! Keep it up! MORE!!!

The best things in life are free...!

BLOG
    BLOG SketchBook
    Website
    facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't posted in a while. Still drawing, just haven't posted a dang thing. Here's a quick sketch I got after listening to my soulful house music. Probably paint it later.

This is kinda cool for me too because this is the first women I've ever drawn before. Still needs a lot of work anatomically, but I think its pretty good for my first try. I have a long way to go...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like all of the studies you have been doing here, keep them up, as they will definately aid you in the long run. Also remember to have fun with your art, which I am sure you are doing
    With the woman, that is a very good attempt for your first try! The only thing I can notice so far, is that her arms seem too thin compared to her elbows and shoulders. I can only recommend studying from references, and then applying the knowledge you gain from that.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so I'm not good at making commitments when it comes to art. Drawing everyday sucks when you don't actually try. Well, I have been drawing like always, but I'm way too lazy to scan my stuff so you may not see a lot of my other stuff.

Anyways, I decided to go by my first name Gabriel. I like it better than Orlando, and its cooler sounding too. Haha.

No studies recently, just sketching fun. I need to do more value stuff, but get lazy before I reach it that point.

Also, for me to keep drawing, I've decided to join the Team CHOW. This is something I've been looking for for a long time, and I've finally found it. I haven't found a team yet, but I'm looking and waiting. Until then, I'm gonna be drawing my butt cheeks off.

Thanks ImaGEEnation for the support.
    And Spirit, I will be studying more women. I should revise that picture as well. Thanks for the tip.

These two sketches were done today. Didn't even intend to draw when I sketched the first one. Just got bored, picked up a pencil and started scribbling and the character came out. The second was random as well.

TEAM CHOW!! WOOO!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! I'm seeing the progression already! I think one thing you might want to avoid is the habits you may have picked up when drawing in that anime style. Sometimes when learning how to draw better you have to build new habits that overcome the old ones that could hold you back. You're making quick progress though so keep doing what you're doing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Suppers ya'll. I've been working on my Team CHOW stuff lately meaning none of that stuff will see this sketchbook until later.

As always, crits welcome.

As for something to add today, I got a little bored and scribbled a couple lines and next thing you know, you get this:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been away. Honest. I've just been posting in my group sketchbook instead of this one. But I'll be posting in both from here on. Anyways, just wanted to post my Self Portrait Day piece.

I see tons of mistakes, but I'm gonna let them slide since I actually finished a piece. Took about 2 hours in Photoshop while listening to some Drum n' Bass via Winamp.

For your viewing enjoyment...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for this night, my eyes have once again become bored with others creations, and then I soon remembered that I could gain excitement and entertainment through creating my own imagery. So here is an imaginative work, that could use a lot of work.

CRITS AWAY!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Diaforetikos, thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I will take your advice on drawing to scale, drawing a small stick outline. That may help me quite a bit. Sometimes I kind of do that but sometimes I dive right into it, but you are absolutely right that I need to do it all the time.

I am updating soon, but haven't quite yet because I'm working on alot of drawing right now. I like to get up a decent amount of good quality work, including sketches and drawing from life. I'm becoming more confident in my drawing and your comments make me really happy, It gives me the motivation to keep going no matter what.

You have some really cool drawings and paintings in here. I enjoy the portrait of that guy with the surprised expression, pretty funny too. The digital hand painting is right on!. You're really on the a-game. Keep up the great work, i'll be stopping in to see more of your updates. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have some sketchbook pics to upload, but I'm way too lazy to take the pictures and upload them...

But here is a portrait of a friend I did today. Will be doing a ton more of these in order to learn the face and value and maybe experimentation.

Crits away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man! Keep working on your values though. Your strokes could use some work too, they look a bit muddy...have more control. Keep it up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.