Body of Work

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Body of Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Body of Work

Thought I'd start a discussion about the topic since I'm embroiled in the thumbnail/idea stage for a series of illustrations that I want to do on smoking. It's like art therapy for me but nonetheless I am looking to present it somehow once it's done.

I have a few options through my school since we have two student galleries. I imagine I can also get it into some coffeeshops provided it's not tooo gross or anything. I have some worries there since I don't know all that many ppl in Toronto and prolly wouldn't be able to get too many people out for a showing.

Just curious about anyone else's experiences on CA doing art shows. I know that such a site as this is more focussed on dwarves and guns than anything with a statement so how have you reconciled that if you're interested in the fine art side of things?

Are galleries a viable option if you're just starting out? I do plan on creating the entire series of images myself but I've also heard that it's alot easier to do a show if you get a bunch of people to work on the same theme. It makes sense to me but

I think with smoking, I have alot of personal things to say because I'm trying so hard to quit. I wouldn't want to dilute the msg of the show/statement. Then again, perhaps it doesn't necessarily have to dilute the msg.

Thoughts?

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just because this site is filled with fantasy and industrial works, doesn't mean we don't do editorials.
    Some of us may even be studying or graduated from a degree of visual communication/advertising (like me).

If you're asking us about ideas and concepts for your smoking editorial, you better do your own homework. research.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this site could serve as a valuable resource for the conceptual work as well as might hook a few interested artists, though I think you should also look elsewhere for contributing artists since the Toronto CAers do tend to keep to themselves.

How many artists do you think you'd want for such a group show? I think there's a good number of basic questions you need to pull the answers out of the air for you to start; when is it, how many pieces, how strong is the editorial message (anti-smoking, or as broad as anything related to smoking), just 2D or 3D as well.

If you go through with it, I'd love to see a thread devoted to your and the other artists's developmental work

A show on smoking's a good idea. You might get some attendees from here as well -- but I bet gallery ads in NOW and TORONTO LIFE would do better.

~R

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.