New Inked piece. Now with Background!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New Inked piece. Now with Background!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Inked piece. Now with Background!

Well, here's the new one. I *tried* to be deliberate with my strokes, but I'm afraid I got a bit lost at the bottom of the guy's jacket.

There are some nice highlights that would show up nicely with a darker background, but I'm terrified of screwing this up.

Any help or crit is appreciated.

ETA: I'm not thrilled with the background, but it hurt my brain to go 'white on black' instead of the usual 'black on white' type sketching.

Obviously, since it's ink, it's beyond help now, but I'd love to hear how to do it better next time.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by tripperfunster; August 2nd, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job trying to make your strokes more controlled! There's a definite difference. I also really dig your wrinkles and the hand on the back. As for the background...it's obviously a tender moment, so I personally wouldn't go too detailed. If you're scared of messing it up with too dark a color, try building up light hatching around the sides and in toward the center. Keep them thin and spaced out and it shouldn't be too dark. I know how you like round framing, so it might be nice to do a gradient towards the center (dark to light) and leave a bit of white around the first dude's head.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I like this!

Normally, to avoid business, I'd suggest editing folds in clothes to just enough to convey what the clothe is doing, but by rendering so many tight folds you've really captured a tension/stress that is really making this piece work. I dig it!
    The white negative space at the top of the page is balancing the dense folds at the bottom. In other words, I don't think this image needs a background at all. The composition doesn't imply one, and the subject matter translates just fine without one, and I fear adding anything in that white might throw off the balance and start making things look too busy overall.

Leaving the background white however, you will need to find a way to define the edges of the background figure better in places like the head and the shoulders so they don't get lost in the white.

Looks good man! Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mirana: Yay! I'm so glad you think there's a difference! It was a LOT harder to be so deliberate. Generally, with my ink art, I'm somewhere biding my time, like waiting at the doctor's office, or for my car to be fixed or whatever, so scribbling was a perfect way to pass an hour or two. This one took quite a bit longer!

As for BG, I'm thinking of a clouded over full moon, and the second guy is supposed to be a werewolf still in human form. I think I'll play with it in photoshop first, just to see what it looks like, before I put pen to paper.

Mute: Thank you very much! I was afraid that I had overdone the wrinkles, but I'm glad you think they work. Let me tell you, I was shading wrinkles in my sleep this week!

I agree about the negative space up top balancing the pic. That's partially why I cropped it so tall. I'm thinking of a simple full moon and clouds above them, so, still very light at the top, and slowly darkening around them, but in simple lines so that it doesn't compete with the figures.

Thanks for your ideas and praise guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice picture. I like your dense strokes and the image has a lot of mood. I do however, feel that the figures appear rather flat. Deciding a directian from which the light is hitting you firgures would help that

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexKrill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, werewolf...okay. Then I like your idea. It's sort of similar in tone to what I was thinking so I'm all thumbs up for it. Like I said, just space the hatching out and you can build up slooowly. Don't be scared! The next one will be even better, right?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alexkrill: Directional lighting is often a problem that I have, but I'm surprised you think so on this piece. The reference photo was a daytime, outside photo with diffused light, but it seems to be primarily coming from above, although it is not direct. My intention was moonlight, so I felt it would fit this well too.

I'd love to know why you think there isn't a direct source. What parts of the shading would you change? Or where do you think it's indistinct?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  hp.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  113.1 KB

The sky sorta looks like a paper background with bubbles in the bottom and flat paper clouds hanging in front of it and casting a shadow. I did a super-quick clone stamp of dark around the figures, up to a diffused light grey around the head and shoulders. Gives it a slight glowy look and makes them pop better on the bottom.

I like the shapes of your clouds...those can be tough to do in hatching! Nice catch with them being darker in front of the moon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.