Sketchbook: Noob's not so daily diary (updated 24.8.2010)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Noob's not so daily diary (updated 24.8.2010)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Noob's not so daily diary (updated 24.8.2010)

Hi all!

I'm 18 years old wannabe artist from Finland who desires to become a concept artist / graphic artist to a game company. The only problems are that I suck at drawing and that I lack the motivation to draw even though I like it. I have a bad habit not to practice at all. Every time I draw I try to create the coolest, most astounding monster/robot etc. imaginable even though I lack the skills to do that. That's why it takes even weeks for me to draw one picture and still the final piece is terrible.

I created this sketchbook to force myself to draw something, mainly something quick, in order to update daily (hopefully).

As I said: I suck at drawing, but critique is very welcome.

I drew the 1st one last night 2 AM after work. I tried to practice shadows. I drew the 2nd one just a minute ago.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Arbinn; August 23rd, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right then
    "The only problems are that I suck at drawing and that I lack the motivation to draw even though I like it"
    i like that, haha, i want to be a concept artist, but i cant draw
    first of all, lose that terrible terrible vibe you have buzzing around you, people arent born with the ability to draw, all we need patience and practice...oh and practice
    now, you should get a flood of replies telling you to look at anatomy, which is a classic reply on this website...as ive noticed
    so heres a link to some free books to read up on
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131117

most used are the loomis ones or the bridgman ones, but thats entirely up to you
    [note im telling you this before you do get a flood haha]

next thing, what youre doing is exactly right, youve exposed what you think is "sucky" work to 1000's of people, which in my book...is a huge fucking deal. takes a lot to do that. but, this is the best place to do that, youll get constructive crit from people and just generally improve over a short period of time.
    set yourself some goals, like what you want this sketchbook to look like by the end of the week
    ie. need to know muscles of arms well enough to be able to draw them from memory , dont worry about the names, i dont really get that..., in a week.
    with this, just concentrate on that task, rather than doing 100 different things at once

apology's for HUGE post, just thought id get ya started

happy drawing

Up shit creek with a poo for a paddle
    Sketchbook- Began 22/07/08 - Bo'
    -
    BLOG - Final Major Project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big thanks for the reply. usually I have to wait for weeks even for one reply and even then it's just one sentence. The longer the better. ^^

I've almost never drawn humans. The only instances are when I was at school and we were given tasks to draw them. I like to draw all kinds of fantasy/scifi things, but because I can't draw even a human properly they tend to look weird or wrong too. This is my 2nd human I've drawn in years.

I made these pretty quickly, but if you or someone else wants to see what I can do then you may check my deviantart profile. I mentioned that I lack the motivation to draw. My profile is an excellent example: there's pretty much everything I have drawn in 4-6 years.

http://arbinn.deviantart.com/

EDIT. I've never set any goals for myself. Maybe I could try different goals for each week. Let's try to improve that human anatomy this week.

Last edited by Arbinn; July 30th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quickies I made at work yesterday.

Now that I have drawn some humans without models I might check how they should be done.

EDIT. Btw I'm a bit confused about one thing. When drawing with pencils is it "allowed" to use eraser to make the job easier at some parts? Many people do that but I've been told by some that it's not true drawing and therefore shouldn't be used.

Last edited by Arbinn; August 17th, 2008 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha dont use an eraser?...thats encouraging advice, basically saying
    "if you cant do it the first time, throw it in the bin and give up"
    no. you can use an eraser, BUT...perhaps limit yourself a tad, try not to use it, try and get the correct lines in there without going back over them, try some gesture drawings
    use www.posemaniacs.com. and do the 30 second drawing challenge, you should see an improvement
    in fact....im off to posemaniacs to do that myself haha

-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iheartmyself For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I meant by using the eraser is that some use it to create proper hair, shadows or similiar smooth things which would be hard with just a pencil. Of course I use the eraser too to get rid of some ugly lines. ;P

EDIT. I'll try out posemaniac at some point. Now I'm off to work. -->

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a rough drawn model for the first one. I tried to do some shadows but came to a conclusion that I simply don't know how to shade muscles and "quickly" drew my hand instead. It's done in bad lightning so the shadows are completely off.

The 2nd one is done pretty "fast". In just about 3-5mins. I wanted to see if I could create a rough pose with a tolerable anatomy. It's fine for me. At least the bottom half. What I notice about my pictures so far is that the torsos tend to look akward and weird. I like how my humans look below their belly buttons though (lol).

Last edited by Arbinn; August 17th, 2008 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Arbinn! You're totally on the right track - now it's just a matter of time and practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment MiniGoth.

No update today. I had such an exhausting week at work... Stupid evening shift...

I became concerned about the feeling that I should be drawing constantly. I feel guilty for not drawing even though I have time to do it (like right now). I don't consider drawing as a hobby. Yet. At this moment it's like work due to lack of skills.

I know that I should not be worried about that, but if I try to be too carefree I just end up playing or surfing the whole day. I really need to take some time just for drawing and slowly increase that time.

Meh. Such a confusing post. I just feel like having a mountain (= everything I should learn to draw) on my shoulders and I needed to write it down somewhere.

I'll update tomorrow (DUCK AND COVER!).

EDIT. I'm having difficulties (believe it or not) finding anything suitable for my anatomy studies from the net. Basically I want little but informative text and more pictures. However I found this one site which I consider to be very clear and helpful. I'm not good at anatomy though so I don't know how correct this site is. It could be leading me in a completely wrong way and I wouldn't notice!

So what do you say about this site?

Last edited by Arbinn; August 1st, 2008 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on starting a sketchbook. I've only recently started one myself to help me learn to draw. I know having a sketchbook here helps provide motivation to draw.

Please take a look at my sketchbook

I'm just a beginner, but I'm trying desperately to get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st one: I was practicing how to draw human back. It looked nice while I was drawing it but afterwards it's not so nice. Dunno what's so weird about it although everything is about in place. Maybe those 2 lower big muscles are TOO big.

2nd one: This is actually the one I drew first but w/e. I was concentrating on the torso as it was so bad in my previous drawings. I'm pretty sure there's "everything" wrong but I like it nevertheless. The abs are way, waaaaaaay too flat and straight though.

3rd one: I was about to draw a guy with a relaxed pose. I was doing fine but then I took a pause of few hours. When I tried to continue it I had lost the touch and didn't want to continue it anymore. I drew some stickmen though.

Comments, tips and advice are always appreciated!

EDIT. I really need to get an anatomy book. On the other note: how do I manage thumbnails? If I upload the pics to this site straight from my computer is the 1st attached pic always the thumbnail?

I'm sure it's told here somewhere but I'm tired and don't want to go looking for it. Sorry. :E

Last edited by Arbinn; August 17th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you need an anatomy book? does that mean you've downloaded one and you'd rather have a real copy? or are you just googling anatomy
    - i believe i gave you this link up there ^ but none the less...
    if you haven't got anything here's the CA list of art e-books
    Hundreds of free art e-books -clicky here

neeext thumbnails
    yeah basically, the first thumb you upload on this thread will be the thumbnail on the forum,
    so, edit the first post, delete your current attachment, upload a new thumb, then re-upload the original

this usually isn't a problem, I didn't even realise the attachment manager was there until 7 or 8 posts, so I used a url. then just uploaded a thumb later

to your drawings now - [sorry, i blab]
    they're coming along
    id recommend www.posemaniacs.com
    and do the 30 second drawings, and do it everyday for 10 minutes as a warm up exercise..its fucking solid, but you'll see an improvement. because its so fast, you'll train your brain to recognise the human body quicker
    but yeah, keep them coming, you're doing fine

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I checked the link you gave me earlier in this thread iheart, but I'm very unfamiliar with reading books on the internet (never done that) and at first I didn't even know where the damn book was (I was supposed to choose how I want to read it). When I found out how to do it I happened to select a book with pages and pages of text and no images. Bleh. I want my books with big colorful text and pop up pictures.

Not. But in that book there seemed to be no pics at all. And in this case I really want to see pics. So I didn't read the books behind that link almost at all.

About this newest upload:

I like the pose of the 1st picture. But the hand which is bending back is just plain bad. I don't know why it's so weird (not only the palm but the whole hand). Also, the legs seem to be too long. Or maybe the crotch is too high?

The 2nd drawing was made quite fast by the request of my friend. No comment.

The last pics are my very first attempts at posemaniac (30 sec all). The 2 first pictures show what I managed to draw on the first paper and the last ones what I got when I was done after about 20 mins.

Comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Arbinn; August 17th, 2008 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing too big today. Still having the terrible evening shift. No time to do anything.

Nevertheless I drew a bodybuilder. Reference used, but I'm very unfamiliar with digital drawing and even more unfamiliar with my new tablet. About 20 mins. I'm not going to change to digital with this sketchbook, but this time I just wanted to draw digitally instead.

Last edited by Arbinn; August 17th, 2008 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally. The very last evening shift week is over. And after next week I'm having a loooooooong holiday. So more and better updates are looming on the horizon.

This post consists of stuff I have drawn this week. Not much, but I really haven't felt like drawing this week.

1st posemaniacs. 10 and 30 seconds. Then some random poses. I didn't concentrate on the anatomy that much. Instead I tried to draw cool poses relatively fast as one of my general problems with drawing is that I'm SLOW.

The last picture is a very rough battle sketch which I'm planning to take further digitally.

Going to upload something better on the weekend and next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your gestures! Your loose stuff is really nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bubba! I tried to make the gestures look as real and good as possible. Even at the cost of anatomy.

I bought a book Anatomy for the artist. I indeed do prefer a solid book in my hands instead of a web book. Even if it had less stuff in it.

I didn't draw anything yesterday as I had to reinstall our network to 3 computers, buy this book and see Dark Knight. ^_^

Today I took some reference from the book and studied the muscles of the hands. There's hell of a lot of them. O_O

EDIT. Oh my... the 2nd pic is very cropped.

Last edited by Arbinn; August 10th, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started to continue one drawing digitally. I'm satisfied with the pose of the fighter to the right but the second one is still very, very rough quickie. Suggestions for the pose are encouraged. The current pose of the "pinky" is just directional of how I'd like him to stand.

The 2nd one is a pic I'd like to share with you. I started it quite some time ago. It's a perfect example of my habit to draw supposedly cool things with lacking skills. It's supposed to be a robot showing off on a platform. What's so cool about it? Well, I tried to draw a mirror armor but I simply can't do that. I can barely draw a flat mirror. I've never done that either though.

The robot's status is currently on hold. I don't know if I'm going to continue it at all.

I'd ask you people to give me some tips and advice. Mainly for the battle scene but you can comment the bot too if you wish. I don't know how to start digital drawings. This far I have simply drawn digital pictures with some colors and burn dodged the shadows and highlights. Not the right method but that's why I'm here. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks cool, just keep practising ... you realy need to spend more time in it! there very strong people in the game industry and when you wanna archive your goals: DRAW!!! i mean it in a good way maybe you watch my sketchbook. im 19 and you can see what is posible when you keep at it, im not the best of my age but maybe you get some inspirations

Searching for female mentor! ... will pay with love.

Website COMING SOON!

NEW Sketchbook

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are improving already. Your figure drawings are starting to look good. Keep at it. Keep practicing. It's good to upload your stuff, then in a years time you look at your first page & see how much you have come along. Keep going, don't stop.

Try drawing from life too. Objects you can see in your room, anything. This will help develop a sense of perseption within a 3d environment. It will help you make 2d look 3d. It also builds up your "Visual vocabulary" (if you will) giving alot more to your imagination. Drawing what we imagine is one of the hardest things in my opinion. Studying is the only key to be able to do this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments! I'll keep drawing and will tighten the pace when my holiday begins. I'm still struggling with the motivation problem but this far I have indeed drawn every day at least something. A huge improvement.

I know the ppl in the gaming industry are insanely good and there's lots of them but to be precise I'm trying to become a 3D artist and at the moment the industry really needs them. But to become a decent with 3D you have to be able to draw well too.

I didn't do any particular studies for these. No references were used (maybe a bit for the arms of the shaded guy). I'm still not having much time to draw due to work (better shift now though) and I'm really slow at shading. And as I didn't use any reference for the shadows the muscles look weird (especially the right leg, lol...).

Drew these "quickly" just a minute ago. Practicing to get familiar with the human form. No reference.

Some of the best posemaniacs so far. I have to say myself that these start to look much better than my 1st ones. 30 sec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Some good progress here. U should focus less on abs I think. Ur gestures deffinately show improvement and ur line quality is getting better too. Use a line of action for dynamic movements. You do need an anatomy book lol but then so does every artist. Abs are great I agree yummm abs. but don't worry about them for gestures I dont think.

I like ur muscle studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh? I thought I'd need to focus MORE on abs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm. Wonder what's wrong with photobucket... "This image or video violated our terms of use." and all but one pic have gone from my previous upload. o_O

Either my scanner (actually a scanner, printer and copier in the same machine, not such a good quality) is starting to show it's age or then MSpaint (yeah, I use it to resize and rotate pics coz it's so simple) screws up some of the pictures. Some of them (the newest one for example) are extremely bad quality. Even a new scan doesn't help.

Anyway. Here's some hands.

Last edited by Arbinn; August 14th, 2008 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What? No update for 3 days!? *Blushes in shame*

The first one is a 6 months old drawing of stuff on my table. I thought I could add it here as it follows the drawings from still life- theme. The 2nd pic is just plain bad. I let it pass nevertheless.

I have to say I'm surprised that I have actually improved since last spring. As you can see from my 6 months old mouse drawing and the one I did yesterday.

I got some magical surge of motivation last night while I was browsing the sketchbooks here. I just had to draw something. Anything. So I sketched some monsters. I want more surges like that.

And finally some digital doodles I did today. I like the pencil. Done by GIMP2. The only program I have for this purpose.

EDIT. I told I'm looking into becoming a 3D artist so here's my very first 3D "model". Done by Blender's multires tool which made the job very easy.

Last edited by Arbinn; August 17th, 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Arbinn, how are you?
    i see your drawings and ideas......looking good!
    you have a good sense of volume...
    take care with muscle......in natural drawing people dont show everyone.......like all have contracion.....
    when you draw a pose.....keep your atention in body shape, proportions and line's pespectives........afte you put muscles.....
    try to separate one excercise all day to cpoy references.......will help you to see more realistic.....not what we think see.......
    is just some observations.....i hope help you......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman

Buy this TODAY. Learn from it TODAY.

Also download Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis, you can find any of his books online for download in .pdf format.

You need to be extra careful with making sure you give your figures a neck!

Keep it up, man. Relentless drawing and studying and learning from every second of it will push you far and fast!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments! I didn't update yesterday and it seems unlikely (or only few uploads) today too. I bought Mass Effect, Supreme Commander (+ expansion) and Sins of the Solar Empire. You can take a wild guess at what I've been doing most of the time. I will update at the latest of tomorrow.

I'm still very noobish at human anatomy despite the progress I've done. The main problems seem to be the neck and muscles not the form or gestures of the bodies (at least in my opinion). My latest human characters few posts ago were missing their necks intentionally. Their necks are behind their heads. You can't see through the head right?

More to come. But now I play some Mass Effect. -->

Last edited by Arbinn; August 19th, 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing big today. The 2 women bodies were drawn much faster than the first one. Reference used.

Some digital drawings coming up tomorrow along with basic human studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. I update a bit earlier now. More are coming but I upload these 2 now as they are ready.

The first one is a birthday card for my friend who likes Warhammer 40k hence the space marine. He's laying on the couch like that as my friend has a funny picture of himself in that pose (the equin chaos- pose earlier in this thread). x)

The second one is a quickly drawn misty city. The very first one in it's kind. Although it's very rough I liked drawing it so I might do more of these.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.