Art: self portrate - critique please

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: self portrate - critique please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

self portrate - critique please

just finished trying to make a 3D version of my head in 3D Studio Max
    please tell me what you think!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a pretty solid head. It looks like you have a good understanding of organic modeling and your texture looks really nice. The problem I have with it is it doesn't look like you.

Your model's eye color looks too blue where the color of your actual eyes have more green in them. The mouth looks too wide as does the tip of the nose. Some of this may be attributed to your actual color map; the lips might be stretching too far over the uvs for your mouth, for example. If you modeled it staight off of orthos then maybe its just the angle and the hair thats throwing it off for me; it's pretty dark looking and in a different style than your source photo.

Nice attempt with the hair though, it can be hard to do but you can a lot done with a bunch of planes and good alpha'd hair samples. Maybe post another screen shot of it looking straight at the camera so we can get a better comparison.

Game Art and Design student
    Art Institute of California/San Francisco

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Dee Bingo,

Here's a front view - I made the nose and lips a little narrower and changed the colour of the eyes.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You computer designers just blow me away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Ok going try to make some useful comments. When it comes to likeness it's hard to make any comments since how things were lighted in the photo and in the 3d really makes a difference on the form/the volumes, and it's in the big forms of the head where we establish the likeness... not in details like lips and eyes. I remembered an old thread by fredflickstone where he gives an assignment

"For the drawing, I want only form. No details. Do not look for the eye lids, highlights, nostrils, lips, ear holes, etc. Look for form. The Form of the head, the form of the nose, the form of the tooth cylinder, the eye socket and ball in the socket...and the values that are rolling across that form. Keep it simple."

unfortunately he doesn't have any pics left on the thread but I've found this one that show what he´s talking about.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=155

the problem from working with a side and front view is that you don't perceive all the form necessary but since it's a self-portrait you could always use a mirror to go over and correct form and if you´re doing someone else make sure to take ref. pics from other angles too.

anyway as dee says it's solid head you could also play around with lighting to make things look even better. Knowing and understanding light and you got a really powerful tool at your disposal. A tip I've learned about lightning is to not use ambient light since it makes things glow...(which of course sometimes are useful)

hope you got something out of this ramble looking forward to your next 3d project.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really have no idea how you achieve this stuff using a computer, but from a general aesthetic point of view I have a little input which may help you.

The general modelling of the head and handling of the big forms seems pretty good, but I have trouble with those staring eyes. The colour seems too blue and pale and the contrast between the eyes and the surrounding facial tone is too great, which means the eyes pop out alarmingly! Maybe that was the effect you wanted, but you could try toning down the contrast a bit, by either darkening the eyes, including the whites, or rendering the surrounding face tone in a higher key. Either way, the stark contrast will be muted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mindflaw, that has given me something to think about!

I have a quick question - can you use Alpha channels to make the hair look a little realistic? and if you can, how?

Last edited by Gail_Blitzy; August 2nd, 2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelt something wrong

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice modelling,Gail_Blitzy.The eyes seem too wide open.If you could lower the upper eyelids a little bit.The expression on the face would look more definitive.The skin texture needs more highlights or it may be the intensity of the light you used for your scene is too low.Increase the intensity and see how the skin texture will look.

The modelling looks real good.Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes you can
    As I'm looking for the same thing I've found this tutorial using just that and he's using Maya as you do eh I meant well not as you do but the same principles work in most any 3d program

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...ly_hair_01.asp

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.