Sprite Animation Weekly #2 - The Main Attack

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Sprite Animation Weekly #2 - The Main Attack

Another Monday, another sprite activity. As a bonus, I would like you guys to submit one idea for a future sprite theme along with your entry, the idea can be good or bad, just want to have a couple different perspectives.

Week 2 - The Main Attack
    The challenge for this week is to make an original humanoid character for a classical action/adventure/platformer style game doing their standard attack. Be creative as you want with the character and their attack, maybe their main weapon is a shovel, maybe it's a bazooka, maybe it's a toaster... go nuts. Number of frames is optional. Size is also optional. Loopability is recommended but not required.

Don't have examples this week, but think about any number of classic side scrolling platformers/action games. Metal slug, castlevania, whatever.

Entries from last week (Fighting Stance)
    Great work guys.

Chuck,mate.

Sinix

Anid Maro

Onir

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. I was going to submit one this week, but didn't read the rules closely enough. This is not one of my past characters, i was just wanting to have fun animating I'll have to find a past illustration and do it properly.

So here's my rough cowboy

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan_R View Post
    I was going to submit one this week, but didn't read the rules closely enough. This is not one of my past characters, i was just wanting to have fun animating I'll have to find a past illustration and do it properly.

So here's my rough cowboy
    There's nothing in the rules this week about being a past character. Feel free to do whatever. The cowboy is looking good.

Stephan R - SWEET! Cool looking cowboy and nice animation.

well, now,
    an actuall fighting sequence means animating one.
    and..... I`m no animator. (I hardly made my characters stand around for the previous round.... hehe....)

but you guys have fun. I`m curious to see what you all come up with.

Stephan - I like yours. really nice.

Pat.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Heh, that's pretty cool Stephan_R. Lots of nice touches like how the hat floats, I love it.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

I tried everything with this cheap gif animator and still cant get that trasparent b/g any advice for a nice gif animator for osx tiger?

topic idea: running attack

Last edited by Arteater; July 30th, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Don't know what's out there, arteater. I just use photoshop/imageready.

Here's my sprite for the week, I planned on doing something slashy, but settled for a simple shooting animation.

Last edited by Sinix; August 2nd, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Hello, please forgive for the first post, but from friend I hear about sprite animating challenge and hope to humbly submit my animating. Much fun to create such animating! (please forgive English )

Quote Originally Posted by Sinix View Post
    Don't know what's out there, arteater. I just use photoshop/imageready.

Here's my sprite for the week, I planned on doing something slashy, but settled for a simple shooting animation.

dude... TOO GOOD. sinix buddy this one a fucking masterpiece.

P.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Nice one Sinix, I probably should've opted for simple as well.

Arteater, looking good. Not sure what program you could get for OSX, but there has to be something. GIF is old as dirt. As for the sprite itself, one problem I noticed with the animation is that only the torso bobs up and down. Even if the feet aren't going to move, at least the upper part of the legs should bear some of that weight.

Looking great Akiden. Yeah, it is good fun. Looks like you put a lot of work into yours too, but I might suggest smoothing out your frames a bit. I wouldn't suggest hand drawing any more frames, but there ought to be something you can throw inbetween the most drastic frames in order to smooth out the choppiness.

A'ight, here's my unfinished sprite. 'Twas a busy week and all I've got to show are my key frames. If I had more time though I probably would've added some more colors (I'm only using 10 out of 16 at the moment) as well as added in intermediary frames with a blur sort of effect and little 'touches'. Ah well, least I'll have time for the next challenge.

Edit: Oh, that's right! I knew I forgot something... one idea I have for a sprite challenge is the death animation of a "final boss" of some sort. The final boss could be the bad guy at the end of an RPG or some wicked alien looking thing out of R-Type or whatever else you can come up with.

Last edited by Anid Maro; August 3rd, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Wow great work guys!

Stephan_R - haha looks good I like the blur on the gun, nice pose and attitude as well.

Arteater - nice work! I like the expression change and the charge up; I'll agree with Anid about maybe throwing a bit more action into the body as a whole next time. His legs do look a bit lifeless compared to his upper body. looks good though keep at it!

Sinix - Man, your sprites always blow me away lol. Must say you're setting a nice spot to aim for Great job!

Akiden - geez lol very nicely done! The movement is great and I like her reaction and overall acting; I will say this looks a bit too complex for a main attack in my opinion, but then again it certainly could be her main attack, eh? Crit wise I'd just say watch out for the sizing on your character; it's reeaaaally easy for things to grow when drawing your animation.

Anid Maro - Hey, the sprite looks good despite being unfinished; both the action and the character are reading well. Nice, solid keyframes nice work!

--

Alrighty, here's my attempt for this week. I started with something different then didn't like the design as it was going so I went with a fencer type guy. I really need to extend the work on this out more, takes a LOT longer than I anticipated lol. Lots of fun though, was cool taking a more traditional approach to this than last week.

Suggestion, hmm.. well to keep it simple, maybe a basic jump or lifting an object. Either way, I look forward to it!

14. Sinix, Onir very inspiring! I have to do another.

Great sprites everyone.

Especially enjoying the motion blurring shapes that akiden used to get the feeling of speed. Also on Stephen's gun twirl. Arteater, good job on the (ear) movements, hope you can figure out the transparency stuff. Anid Maro and Onir, thanks for the repeat participation. Onir, very fluid movement and the cloth was a nice touch.

ho-kay. these are SO MUCH FUN. SOOOOOO MUCH FUN.

I made this character... who is handcuffed. What kind of reasonable attack can a handcuffed person have? Why, he vomits crows at people, of course.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

LOL that's great! Haha seriously, great job on that, very creative. I'm a big fan of smears and blurs, so very nicely done with that; the entire thing would definitely fit in a fighting game (very Guilty Gear as Sinix mentioned in another thread).

Not sure what else to say lol, just great work!

Members who have read this thread: 1