P.O.W.! Challenge 12--The Other Side - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 12--The Other Side

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yay page one is finished. Now for the other three. I really wish I'd found this topic earlier, as I figure this is going to cost me some sleep before the deadline is over

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kmadden, welcome back. Nice first page. I like the puppet idea. Can't wait to see the rest, and not to worry about messing with the script. As long as you're telling the same basic story, I don't mind.

Yoitisi, coming along great.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NathanLong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good work here

I try it and hope I can finish it. It's strange because I don't draw so many panels on one page, but trying/ lerning something new is good

Layoutsketches (I've no scanner here, sorry):

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally finished...

Well, here's my final entry for this week's challenge;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might not finish by deadline, Nathan. I'm driving over to my Arizona house because I apparently got a hot date this weekend. Admittedly I've been messing around a lot this week watching the Olympics too. I'll finish it some time within the coming week, but if I am late for the poll I'll put it in the non-competitive comics section. It's obvious some good entries will be in by the deadline. (Edit: Crap! I forgot to tone the folds in those drapes and bedclothes.)

Ian Mack- as you can see, I'm mighty damned cartoony compared to a lot of people around here.
    Name:  pow 12 final1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  403.4 KB

Last edited by arttorney; August 14th, 2008 at 12:53 PM.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice going guys, these are looking good. And I must say it's an intressting story aswell and it will be a challenge to try and draw to it. So far I just finished drawing page 2. I set the story in France, late 18th century. I hope I can make it to the deadline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, Kmadden. Got in first and a good job too. A really dark and moody take on the story. I like it.

Good to see a cleaned up page from you, Arttorney. Keep 'em coming.

Nathan's Journal

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NathanLong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Sudsy's Final Pages!

Final pages submitted... Hope I'm doing this right...

Kmadden2004- Love the style! I especially like the limited palette you employed! Adds volumes to the mood! I'm toast...

Attorney- Your work has your signature all over it! Very reminiscent of the older Bob Kane Batman comics in some respects...

Yoitisi- Wow... Jaw hit keyboard... Lots of detail, clear cut inks! I know I'm going to get creamed...

Donalfall, RabbitHole, Skorpi- Please finish! Your thumbnails are looking great! Drink lots of coffee and stay up until the alarm clock goes off! It'll all be worth it!

Well, so much for being a trash talker... Have a hard time doing that... However, I'll just have to give anyone who isn't done a hard time about it...

...Just got of work, bought a new furnace I need to install myself before winter hits (just got our first frost the other day...), a Jeep starter to get in; all while changing diapers for my four month old son and potty training my two year old son and working part time... Whats your excuse? (did I mention I also get dinner ready for when the wife gets home? Not too shabby for a nap time project from a stay at home dad eh?)...

Critiques of what I did wrong (and the few things I might have done right...) are most welcome! In your trash talk, please include some constructive stuff too... Lots to trash talk about here... Like not using my black and white only mode on the scanner... Along with a hack job of computer coloration using black...

Michael "Sudsy" Sutherland

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most likely illegible, but what the hey...here are are my thumbs.

Name:  assassin_tb.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  511.9 KB

I switched around pg3/panels 6&7 to allow for the interesting panel set-up and to show-not-tell the reveal. I will be moving and/or cutting dialouge in a couple places (my apologies, Nathan). After I tighten a few things and add faces (imagine the heads from pg1, haha) I'll put these to inks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sudsy, congrats for delivering. Mirana, good looking start. Can't wait to see more. And do what you must with the dialog.

I'm going to save my crits and comments for the Finals thread. If people don't get in their finals on time, then I'll be happy to come back here and comment on what they have.

Nathan's Journal

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NathanLong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated with page 2. I hope the two days that are left on this round will be enough

Like Nathan, I'll leave the crits for the poll. Have to concentrate on finishing this first!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skorpi: The number of pannels was a concern for me on this aswell, especialy with the amount of detailed stuff going on within some of the pannels on pages where there were a lot of them. Either way, I was way to late to have any prospects of finishing this. You however, I feel broke up those pannels really nicely and have a solid layout.

Can't wait to see this finished, I hope to be in on the next round.

One crit on having a script though is some of the pannel descriptions in my opinion are too detailed, basicly dictating almost every aspect in terms of camera angle ect. I feel like that is a big part of what separates comic artists is how they break up those angles to achieve a mood. Just my two cents on that. I love the idea of coming from a script though. Hope to see more of that.

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MonkeYoakum: Well, you weren't required to do exactly what the script asked for (as stated at the top of the challenge, and by the author). Keep in mind that in comics, sometimes you get a writer who leaves it open, and sometimes you get Alan Moore and his need to script a panel per PAGE or TWO. It depends on the artist-writer relationship too...sometimes notes are specific, or suggestion, but the relationship will dictate how much creative room you have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my final

MonkeYoakum Thank you
    I agree with Mirana, it's possible to choose other solutions as long the context stay the same.

Anyway, here page one and two (and lot of work for this evening)
    Edit: And page 3 and 4

Last edited by skorpi; August 17th, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: p.3 and 4
    Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got no chance of getting the next three pages finished today but i thought i'd post up my first page anyway.
    I don't expect to be entered into the final poll but i'd just like to see what you people think of it.
    This is one of my first attempts at sequential art so any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

See more of my work here -

Blog

Flickr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated with the third page in my original post on page 1. Onwards with the last page now, I'll have to rush it a bit I'm afraid...

Nice to see some more people entering this round If we stay quiet, the old cat won't wake up and we can keep this rolling for a bit longer before he closes this round...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yoitsi...we can only hope. I hate having to choose between the work I SHOULD be doing and the work I WANT to be doing...and then I always loose some steam on completing the fun stuff after the "deadline" has past.

Should I actually, I dunno...finish on time...is this the only place for finals? Or is there a finals thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Willt: It looks really good, shame you couldn't do the other pages in time. You've got a decent fine art style (I'm jealous, I can only ever do my simple cartoons - one of the downfalls of being self-taught, I find). Hope you'll come back and show us more work (you could post your complete entry for this challenge in the 'Non-Competitive Comics Thread', that way you won't let all the work go to waste).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mirana: yeah I totally know what you mean Luckily I have holiday at the moment, so nothing much else to do. I think by the way that this is indeed the way to post your finals, in here. Ilaekae moves them into the final poll I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so I'm being forced to eat the same trash I threw to the board last week. I just couldn't get enough time to myself. Had fun when I did, though. And I may have leveled up! SWEET!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah, work got in the way so I could not finish. Here's just page 4 sans blood-spatter and other effects that I would have liked to add. :/ Inked with brush at about 7x10".

Name:  assassin_4_mirana.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  245.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished! I'm not entirely happy with a lot of things in there, but I think I need a break from this for a bit. If Ilaekae doesn't close this in the next few days I might even update this a bit. As I already said in my first post, I changed a few things in the story but I think the original idea of Nathan Longs' story still stands. If not, my sincere apologies to him

Name:  page 1 final small.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  292.3 KB

Name:  page 2 final small.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  300.1 KB

Name:  page 3 final small.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  248.8 KB

Name:  page 4 final small.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  197.2 KB

Edit: Made some small changes, got some typos out of it The font appears to be a bit hard to read at this size. I can't really find another font that I like and the fits in the original balloons, so I'll leave it as is for now. I think once it's printed the problem won't be that big anymore.

Last edited by yoitisi; August 18th, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Such nice work coming in from everyone. This is so cool.

Nathan's Journal

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, everybody... I won't make it in myself (I have a note from my plumber...), but it looks like we have a decent display going. I'm covered in tile mastic right this minute, so if anyone needs a few extra hours, go for it. I wo'nt be able to get the poll together and the new Challenge up until late tonight, so you have an extra day...

Nice work, everybody...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae: Sounds like you either got a major leak there or are building a bathroom that wouldn't look shabby in the Taj Mahal Anyway, I updated mine for a bit, I think this will be the final for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.