Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Joe's Road to Fine Art and Illustration

Thanks

Joe's Road to Fine Art and Illustration

Hi everyone.. So I finally bought my scanner and there will be no more excuses. I promised many people around here that I would post my stuff.. and now I am. Heres my basic background: I want to be an illustrator... eventually, Im not sure what type specifically.. but thats not important right now. I want to spend my next 4 years in college improving my drawing and painting skills.. then most likely attend illustration school when Im a lot better. Im planning on using various methods of improving.. borrowing many of the exercises used in Ateliers. I will be doing bargues, casts, life figure drawing, still lifes, master copies, favorite illustrator copies, etc, etc. Im basically drawing all that I can and trying to improve. Im putting this thread in here because the Sketchbook section seems more like a showcase.. while I want this to be more of a student/teacher sort of display. Im hoping to use this thread to counteract the fact that Im not going to an art school. So please guys help me out.. help me to get better. Im trying harder than I ever believed I would.. and I think with proper guidance I can eventually get to higher and higher levels. Im not gonna post my older stuff cause theres just way too much. I have 6 books full of old crap but none of it was serious study anyways. Im posting my stuff starting from last week on. I wont put up little doodles.. only stuff that I consider to be a study or something similar..whether its crap or good. Here goes!

Whitaker Study

Another Whitaker

Raphael

Shoe from my bedroom floor

Sin City photo I turned into a "comic"

2 Loomis Studies

2 Bone Studies from Sheppard
    Last edited by JParrilla; July 29th, 2008 at 06:48 PM.
    "We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Running out the door so I can't comment in detail, but wanted to say I'm glad you got a sketchbook going. Looking forward to seeing your progress...

Tim

Thanks
    Another study I just finished.. haha I forgot the artist ill find out in a sec :0

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    It's about time buddy. These are great studies, it's good to see that you being diligent.

Well, first of all these are good studies the rendering could be improved by learning to shade with the form...think cross contour and structure.

I really like the black and white on grey paper. That is very effective strategy for realizing form quickly and it's fun. Plus, its always good to study anatomy but I wonder if, at this stage, you wouldn't get more out of studying morphology and overall skeletal structure rather than the individual bones. Just a thought. These are actually quite accomplished and it's a shame you hadn't begun posting earlier. It is much easier to help this way.

Thanks
    hey there man. Thanks for dropping in. It really is a shame I didnt start earlier.. It really feels good to have people other than family see my work and give me honest opinions. I really think this is going to boost my improvment big time. About the shading.. I agree. I need to feel the form when I shade.. because i tend to flatten things out when I dont stroke the paper in the direction of the form. As far as the anatomy studies your probrobly right.. I might back up a bit and get less detailed than individual bones. Thanks again man.. Im gonna link your SB in my sig like I said I would.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Some Stuff from tonight.. Ive been revisiting my Bridgman books after using Vilppu for the past few weeks. Vilppu has given my figures a alot of solidity and Im using alot more rounded forms.. since bridgman uses alot of cubes.. I thought itd be a good idea to get back into that box feel.. maybe itll help my perspective. I didnt do much tonight because I have a terrible ankle sprain from running yesterday. Thank god i didnt break it but there may be tears so im goin to the orthopedic tommorow.. hoping for the best. I hate not being able to go for a run or bike ride.. ugh

Some quick bridgman figures, arms, and finally hands

Some of my hand from life

Some of the 1st Bargue plate. I wasnt really in the mood to set up a side by side and do perfect measuring. So I just used my eye.. and did it with a Pigma Micron to make sure I was confident with my lines. Im not sure if doing it without measuring helps at all.. but I really wasnt in the mood to be precise

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    I just realized how much old crap I have.. but theres really no reason to get critique on stuff from months and months ago.. anyway I dont wanna be scanning all night I just picked out these two things cause I kinda liked them. The first is my study of Rubens. The second is the first day I bought india ink. I took a brush and looked to my man Yoji Shinkawa for some practice

I wanted to put up stuff from life drawing.. but I realized I use a gigantic newsprint pad that I coulnt possibly scan. So Ill take some pics tomorow if I can.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    A really old charcoal portrait of Patrick Stewart, I hate doing celebrity portraits but my dads a Star Trek nut so I thought itd be nice.. He liked it

and a quick.. very small study of Whitaker.. God I love his paintings.

Last edited by JParrilla; July 30th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Im began my bargue drawing toninght. Its the 5th plate.. the one of the foot. I managed to get a plumb line and a horizontal drawn.. as well as the top, bottom, left and rightmost points marked. Im realizing how tough sightsize really is. Being able to see the point from a distance and then walking over to the drawing without losing your point is really tough! Ive been checking my sight measurments by actually putting the thread right on the paper.. but only after ive made my own mark. Then I readjust my mark to the correct one. I have to say mine are getting closer and closer to being correct... I still have alot to go though. Some pics of my progress possibly tommorow

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Nice studies...I especially like the bones. Sorry, I don't think I have much in the ways of helpful crits at the moment. The folds in fabric in your last piece seem a bit rigid, I don't know the reference though. You seem to be on the right path in terms what you're studying and your commitment. I'll check back and try to be more helpful.
    Last edited by Zombunny27; July 30th, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Hades.. I definetely do need drapery study. Its funny you brought that up.. I was just setting up a white towel over a chair in my house Im not making an excuse.. but it looks a bit worse than normal in that study because I really did a quick rough job. I was doodling in my little sketchbook and I just came across that Whitaker drawing so I took like an hour before I left my house for my life drawing class and did it.. You are right about it though... thanks for the crit!

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Select drawings from my life drawing class at the ASL. Sorry about the heads on some my newsprint is huge and I fit them as best as possible in my scanner lol

20 minutes each:

20 Minute.. line only

My favorite of the week.. this one is 30 minutes

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    So I finished my first ever oil painting.. really my first painting period. I have to say the biggest thing ive learned from it is that painting really is drawing. Every single aspect of drawing is used in painting.. plus a lot of extra stuff. I found myself going through the same procedures while painting that I do while drawing.. I was looking for the big shapes, squinting to see values, measuring for proportion, watching for the hardness/softness of edges, etc. Its really just drawing excpet you have a big old blob of a pencil instead of a point I now realize why the ateliers require years of drawing before touching paint.. I can see how much of a better painter one can be if they have tons of drawing experience. Still though im not worried about that. Im going to try to keep my time to 75% drawing and 25% painting.. maybe even a little more drawing than that. I will slowly spend more time painting as I feel more comfortable with my drawing skills.. and my understanding of values, shapes, etc. I must say.. I have found yet another love in my life Painting is really tons of fun. Its still drying so I dont wanna touch it but Ill be posting it shortly.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast