Guard
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Guard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Guard

This is a painting i started last night and finished this morning around 5 hours. I've never attemptd a full body before so i thought i had a go with a reference picture of a guard of the tower of london.

I think the results are ok but i think it needs lots of work so any crits are appricated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My advice... Use reference images when doing things like this. USE them! Don't cut corners. Get out of the childish habit of drawing what you presume things look like and draw what you actually see. Closely observe shapes, colours, light, texture and details.

There are many particularly problematic areas here. These include that his neck is too thin and the collar doesn't seem to wrap around it, the hands are too small and badly drawn, the face is naively rendered and has disproportionate and uneven features. There is no real sense of shadow or shape. The skin tone is also wrong. Beyond that the details of the uniform are inacurate, and if you're doing something like this you may as well bother to do it properly. Look again at the belt buckle and buttons, the shoulder and cuff pieces and the stripes on the trowsers.

Last edited by dashinvaine; July 27th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course, a first time full figure drawing is bound to have some issues. Keep trying though. That is how to get good.

About the hands, you have two of them yourself. What I mean is that you can draw one of your own hands to practice drawing hands. Similarly, with a mirror you can do self portraits. Mix some of those drawings into your practice routine.

When you are using a photo reference it won't move. Thus you can really take your time and map out the proportions as they really exist and fight your way beyond bad habits.

Are you sure his hands don't extend a little lower down (arms seem short)?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.