Following

POLL-EOW 89 Man-made planet Vote PLZ

POLL-EOW 89 Man-made planet  Vote PLZ

EOW 89 An Entirely Man-made Planet, viewed from Space

REQUIRED
    as described

DUEJuly 28

Last round was spectacualr!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

thoughts to ponder
    how is it made?
    hows is it sustained
    what is the gravity
    spaceships?
    We've all seen the death star, howsa about soething different
    doens't have to be round
    what kind of star is it orbiting?

You all did Super! like the icons? Lets do it again the same way!

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL IN THE HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Last edited by chaosrocks; July 29th, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 553 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chaosrocks APOLOGIES!!! For some reason I posted the final version in my SB but not in the WIP thread. I still do not know what "outside hosting" means--all I know how to do is upload an image here as I would for any normal SB thread. I made it back from Comicon in 4.5 hours, so here's my final version. PLEASE DELETE MY PREVIOUS ONE AT THE TOP.

I owe you one. Gimme 3-5 suggestions and I'll whip out some art for you.

Name:  EOW89_ccsears_thumb.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  EOW89_ccsears.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  417.6 KB
    (edit: outside host means something other than CA attachment which is fine fo rthe image itself but a nuisance for the icon,,, this one is hosted on Photobucket crx)

Last edited by chaosrocks; July 28th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more info and bigger version in the other thread.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    BLOG
    CgHub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The year 5018 marked the end of the second war between the alien Vemmus on Earth, and the Humans on Mars. After almost 700 standard Earth years, and countless battles that ravaged the surface of both planets, the Humans were finally victorious. With the Vemmus all but wiped out, a plan was developed to rebuild and repopulate the Earth with Human, animal, and plant life. The Humans soon found, however, that the condition of the Earth was even worse than they had initially thought. The project would move forward, but it would take many generations of people before Earth would again stand as it had before the name of the Vemmus was known. In order to boost the moral of the remaining colonies on Mars, a second project was put into motion. With the technology the humans now possessed, another “planet” would be artificially built between the solar revolutions of Earth and Mars. It would be a network of 24 floating stations, each a new vision of the paradise Earth used to be. Together these stations would move around the Sun as a single unit, contain different forms of plant and animal life, and serve as a point of beauty, rest, and relaxation for the war-worn Humans.

It is now 6072, and Paradisio-24 is complete.

Last edited by artiphats; July 28th, 2008 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by peetsbeets; July 29th, 2008 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(edit: it's your first time... I made you an icon. welcome to EOW. It won't happen again crx)

Last edited by chaosrocks; July 29th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are all so very cool.
    I love the diversity of interpretatations!

I made an entry too, posted in the EOW 89 thread but I did not complete the entry process properly...
    I'll get it right next time.

Amazing work everyone
    J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for being a good sport about it. it's a nice entry too
    I was hoping you'd make it.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    os2008 - beautiful rendering as usual. would have probably got my vote except I think it looks too organic. It appears as if its attacking the other planets and the bright spot resembles an eye. Great use of color here.

Xezor1324 - I love your rendering of space in the background. I like the idea of the plates connected together, and the fact that you can see the inner structure is a nice touch. Looks a bit deserted though, the plates don't really look like anything is going on, on most of them, although I do see hints of lights to the bottom right.

ccsears - I think overall this is my favorite piece to look at. It doesnt get my vote because I think you could have tried a bit harder to come up with something a bit more original. I like to think that these weeklies are really a way for us to push ourselves not just technically, but conceptually as well. As beautiful as it is, I see what looks like a futuristic earth, but of course thats just me.

kool-ka-lang - Great idea with the ring. My suggestions would be to concentrate on the drawing before any rendering, and when you start the rendering begin by blocking in the highlight and shadow areas. One thing I love to do is browse the CA forum and really study pieces that are strong in composition and lighting. Figure out what makes them so great and start working that into your own pieces. Of course I am a long way from mastering it myself, so please dont think I am talking down to you in any way, just trying to help.

shardana - you get my vote for being original and also having a great piece to look at. this piece is out of the box and I love all the detail, great job.

peetsbeets - good work with your lighting and shadows, at first glance looks more like a space station but after the comment I gave cc sears I guess I can't say that. Imagining that this is a giant structure that revolves around a star, it surely qualifies as a planet. I think the thing thats missing is that it is not lit up at all, but otherwise I really like it.

meltface - oooh nice! Looks like a close up of ccsears image, so some of what I said about that one applies here as well. Those ships or stations connected to the planet remind me of something out of the Matrix, which is always good Great render, nice shot selection, just not as original as a few of the others.

artiphats - me! I think this piece I will spend more time on, and really try to polish it up more. Looking at it now I want to get rid of a couple things, and add some stuff like solar panels. Overall I am much happier with this entry than I was with my original piece back in the other thread.

hope no one is offended by any of my opinions, they are just that after all.

see you in the next round!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to artiphats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I can't divert my attention one week. People here are getting better with each passing Eow...

shardana ...you in particular.

xezor voted for you, because I like it and that's what I would have liked to do more or less.

ccsears my second vote (if I had one...).

meltface goood (haven't voted for you only because it's not clear that the planet is entirely man-made, looks covered in buildings like Coruscant).

artiphats well-rendered and interesting idea, maybe not a planet in the traditional sense but original.

os2008 beautiful. Maybe doesn't look much like a man-made planet, but beautiful...

peetsbeets lighting looks good, it just needs a bit of contrast and a dark background IMO.

Last edited by revenebo; July 29th, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to revenebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 553 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    anyway, i guess i'll leave a little feedback of my own...

os2008 I voted for yours... that said, i think there are a few rendering things i would change. On the left side background i think you've done an excellent job showing the spheres kind of strung together with these crazy space filaments--and they seem bound together, which is good. but on the left it gets a bit stringy or spaghetti-ish. this happens for two reasons--1) strands that are evenly spaced, and 2) parallel curves (which is almost the same as (1)). overlaps, and variety will solve a lot of that.

but i like the idea. reminds me of an egg sac.

xezor i liked yours too, but i just wish the planet was a bit bigger and the composition changed somewhat. also... be careful with the star flares. if you want to use one to maximum advantage, put it on the very edge of the planet's dark side. the light side will already have a highlight from the sun-star. you can lose the edge of the sphere on the dark side, and then "find" it by popping the star flare over there. besides the flares, you have a nice background. very cosmic palette.

ccsears--you need to work harder... but in my defense, i put in my hours in CHOW and did Comicon. not exactly a lot of time to ponder all the possibilities. gotta meet the deadlines.

shardana very dyson-sphere-ish. i think it would help sell the idea of the piece if you found some kind of photo of a ball--say a basketball or tennis ball--and used the stitch lines on it as a guide to lay in your lines in this piece. right now, i know you're going for spherical symmetry, but it feels a little flat. using the ball trick will get you some interesting smooth curves and maybe even some overlaps.

artiphats thanks. just didn't have time to waste thinking up the idea and not getting anything out the door. on yours, i think it reads a little harsh--probably because the edges are all pretty hard on the foreground and very soft in the stellar background. maybe some value changes on the rings would help it a little--make them shiny or add a layer of "glow" on top of them.

also, as far as composition goes... always be aware of where your shapes intersect the border of your image. for that matter, be aware of where any intersections are in your image. and furthermore, always keep track of the variety of proportions and intervals... if you look at the top border of your picture, you'll see the planet intersects in the exact middle. never do this unless you're doing it for a good reason--like in a symmetrical religious painting. 50-50 is the most boring proportion in art. it will automatically flatten your image. (i held up my ruler to my screen, the biggest blue ellipses are also exactly centered up-and-down in your image.) even-spacing in a picture turns it orthographic like a blueprint. even-spacing in 3d is never even spacing in the picture plane--look at telephone poles going down the road.

peetsbeets feels a little like John Berkey. if you don't know who that is, you should look him up. incredible space paintings. i think there needs to be more color in yours. the white you're using could really gleam if it was set against the right combinations. and the blue would really glow deep blue if some of it bounced into the shadows of your planet-station a bit more.

meltface nice job... i think the only thing that bothers me render-wise is the strength of the main star compared to the highlights on the ship. if the star is that bright, the rim lighting on your ship is going to be pretty intense. right now the foreground ship gets lost a little against the planet surface since they're the same value and both pretty green. bouncing the right rim light would create just enough separation to pull it off.

anyway, good job everybody. don't take any of my feedback the wrong way... i'm just trying to offer advice that's been given to me in the past. good luck on the next round.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for meltface, because of the artificial atmosphere, which seems to be made of something solid, transparent, but also reflection - like the very atmosphere of Earth.

Follower up for me are

.Xezor, because that's most probably how it would be build... I think... and I like how we can see the "core". And

.Os2008, because I love the tiny earth and moon. Nowhere near possible that in our spot in the galaxy we would find as much material to build a planet the size of Pluto, but it looks neat anyway...

Last edited by Zeitwolf; July 30th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ccsears thanks for that great critique and information, I will definitely keep all of that in mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    artiphats,Zeitwolf,ccsears,revenebo
    thanks useful critics. Specifically thanks for ccsears your critic is really usefull

i voted Xezor
    cause i like his idea of planet, and rendering of space.

kool-ka-lang very Unique style drawing
    artiphats i like your linked planat idea and different theme of the planets i think it's great job for game concept and level design
    peetsbeets nice shape and colors
    meltface Impressive mood and composition.
    shardana i like your texture and detail
    ccsears i think it'll great work if you haved more time.
    it's difficult writing in english, it take too long time

any way see ya next round

Last edited by os2008; July 30th, 2008 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Visualy I liked the vibrancy of os2008, but I felt like it looked too organic with those tenticaly lookin things, so the vote went for Xezor1324. Great job to every one, nice round.

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.