Graphic designer needs help

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graphic designer needs help

Hi, I need some help. I cannot draw with pencil and paper.

I'm okay at balance and proportion.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any confident stroke building exercises I could try? (I think that’s where I fail)

Last edited by tino23; July 27th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,161 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since you haven't posted any artwork on this site except those lemony "sour" logos, it is impossible for anybody here to give you decent advice. You need to steel up your courage and start posting your art, otherwise you're wasting your time and ours.

Since I notice you're starting lots of "which way do I hold the pencil" threads, I offer the following:

Advice: Draw every day for a decade on every kind of surface you have available. Draw out of your imagination, draw everything you see, draw composition, draw cartoons. Take life drawing classes, draw from the model. Take a walk and draw some trees or buildings. Copy an anatomy book into your notebooks, like Bridgman's. Take some classes.

Yes, I previsualize before putting pencil to paper. I work both from imagination and from reference. No, not every drawing comes out good first shot. I use 2Bs, 3Bs, 6Bs and 8Bs usually from Faber Castell 9000 series. I use a pink pearl eraser and a small Staedler metal pencil sharpener.

The only way to end the fear of drawing is to draw. As the saying goes, "fail forward fast". The longer you wait to just dive in a start drawing, the longer it will take you to get proficient.

Hope this helps.

kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah kev you answered every question i wanted to ask when i first found this site but was too stupid and scared to ask

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Kev's drawings piss all over mine (not literally, of course. I'm sure Kev's drawings are perfect gentlemen, when they're not, like, shooting people), but since I just took this picture a little while ago to show somebody what I'm up to today, I'll play show and tell.

Wood pencils make me CRAZY because they're so darn hard to sharpen (the sharpeners wear out, or the lead breaks. The electric sharpeners are sometimes good, sometimes not). I like murderously sharp but very soft pencils, so sharpening is a big issue for me.

So here's my kit: lead holder and sharpener. Buy leads by the dozen, about the same cost each as a good pencil. I'm working with 2B and 6B today. They feel gorgeous.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,522 Times in 3,716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stray eyelash? You should have blamed the cat. Nice drawing btw.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,161 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stoat, I think you're work is damn good and my work has "stage fright" anyway. So, I assure you, you're safe from any and all incoming organically-generated critical precipitation. Unless you start sucking hard core, in which case, all bets are off.

That lash made me laugh. Wouldn't it be ducky to get a huge piece of perfectly nice and white 3ply illustration board and mount one single eyelash on it and put it in an ornate gold frame and sell it for a cool mil to some Dia douchebag.

kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know, I am practicing. I just get sick of it really easily.

I read somewhere that when you get sick of drawing you should at least keep on researching about it.

I'm just researching.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.