Speed Painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Speed Painting

Speed Painting

Do you think speed painters lie about there time? Some of there paintings i could not do in a month not alone a hour.

I am also not so sure what is the point of telling the time you took the finish a painting, are you just bragging, or just making a excuse why in is unfinished and a bit crappy.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure some do exaggerate, and I'm sure some brag. The point of doing a speed painting and restricting your time is to get the impression and action down without a huge amount of commitment or overworking. Speed painting is a necessary skill to have when you're a concept artist and you have a half hr to do a piece before a meeting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've noticed a trend that the better speedpainters don't say how long it took them unless asked, or it is somehow relevant (was waiting in airport for 2 hours, pulled out my laptop and did this) type of thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin. View Post
    I've noticed a trend that the better speedpainters don't say how long it took them unless asked, or it is somehow relevant (was waiting in airport for 2 hours, pulled out my laptop and did this) type of thing.
    I'm sorry... we (as an artistic community) need to figure out other terms to differentiate between "digital" painting, and "analog/traditional" painting.

Painting is painting; digital painting is rendering... and I don't even know what the hell "digital watercoloring" is since if I tried to digitally watercolor, I'd get electrocuted.

"The pressure to be something I was not was constant and unrelenting. It was a battle to maintain a sense of authentic self when that self was still in the developmental stages."

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Astroluc: What's the point in making the distinction? You wouldn't make the distinction between someone speed painting in oil, acrylic, gouache, watercolor, tempura....so why would you with digital? Visually you'd likely be able to tell the difference right away anyway.

"Rendering" has many meanings...not just digital, and not just 2D.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    Astroluc: What's the point in making the distinction? You wouldn't make the distinction between someone speed painting in oil, acrylic, gouache, watercolor, tempura....so why would you with digital? Visually you'd likely be able to tell the difference right away anyway.

"Rendering" has many meanings...not just digital, and not just 2D.
    Sorry, I opened a speedpainting thread so I wanted to see paint.

One could argue that since gouache, watercolors, tempera, oil, and arcrylics are actual paints that the term speedpainting can be used to describe them without concern...

When one uses a computer program to create images, there is no "paint" involved, merely a representation of paint; a facsimile of paint, if you will. So, as a result, I think there needs to be a different term for digital "painting".

And I am aware of Rendering having many meanings; that is not the point of debate, here, since my usage of the term was correct:

Digitalpainting = Rendering
    Rendering =/= Digitalpainting

"The pressure to be something I was not was constant and unrelenting. It was a battle to maintain a sense of authentic self when that self was still in the developmental stages."

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by astroluc View Post
    Sorry, I opened a speedpainting thread so I wanted to see paint.
    Except for the fact the term was coined in a digital context. Traditional painters never talk about "speedpaintings" unless they come from a digital background. As an old fashioned hairy-sticks-and-dirt painter, I have absolutely no problem with "digital painting" as a descriptive term.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't la prima a fancy term for analog speedpainting? Or am I confusing something here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Except for the fact the term was coined in a digital context. Traditional painters never talk about "speedpaintings" unless they come from a digital background. As an old fashioned hairy-sticks-and-dirt painter, I have absolutely no problem with "digital painting" as a descriptive term.
    That still does not change my view that there should be a different term. I hate when I open a post touting watercolor painting, and it's a digital painting... need to change IMHO

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Astroluc: I meant that many consider digital paint programs as a tool...just as they do paints. You cannot change "speedpainting" to "speedrendering" as that would have the same issues you take objection to in the first place. I'm sorry you didn't get the medium you wanted when you clicked on the link but you should expect that in a forum where digital work dominates (especially if you weren't looking in the fine art forum). You should be able to enjoy and learn something anyway...many of those people are also traditional painters or have learned methods based on it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's next? Will you complain that the term hacker is now associated with IT related criminal activities even thought it is still used in its original form by some people.

In the end a majority decides these things implicitly. And no matter how much the minority complains they end up losing these useless fights most of the time.

It's easier to just accept this type of "inaccuracies".

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Mario For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    That still does not change my view that there should be a different term. I hate when I open a post touting watercolor painting, and it's a digital painting... need to change IMHO
    I think ur digressing, touting watercolor painting and using the word speedpainting for digital paintings completed under a restricted amount of time is different.
    Elwell was reffering to the latter so u just cant reply:
    "I dont agree with u about using the word speedpainting for digital art because some people tout watercolor painting for digital stuff."

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does it strike no one else as odd that someone's being anal about the distinction between traditional painting and digital painting on an internet forum? If you want to get really precise with terms, then to see some oils and watercolors you need to get your ass off the computer and down to your local art museum.

The distinction between digital and traditional is blurred here because all we see are a bunch of pixels anyways regardless of the source.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Every time I here the words "speed painting," I have this crazy urge to get one of those radar guns and sneak around other people's studios...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    Does it strike no one else as odd that someone's being anal about the distinction between traditional painting and digital painting on an internet forum? If you want to get really precise with terms, then to see some oils and watercolors you need to get your ass off the computer and down to your local art museum.

The distinction between digital and traditional is blurred here because all we see are a bunch of pixels anyways regardless of the source.
    no need to split hairs and act like this is a chan forum; one can easily use a technology while asking for a distinction between it and something else. Many of you seem to be reacting like I spoke out against digital media when I did not... I just would like a clear definition.

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Paint
    transitive verb
    1 a (1): to apply color, pigment, or paint

Hmm, doesn't sound to me like there is a distinction to be made. Digital artists apply color, just like every other "painter." Who cares if it's suspended in a medium, or applied with technology, it's all the same thing, and takes the same skill and knowledge. To suggest that digital art is something else, is just fine art elitism that has no place in serious art discussion. Any artist worth their salt realizes that medium doesn't matter a whole lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wilson View Post
    Paint
    transitive verb
    1 a (1): to apply color, pigment, or paint

Hmm, doesn't sound to me like there is a distinction to be made. Digital artists apply color, just like every other "painter." Who cares if it's suspended in a medium, or applied with technology, it's all the same thing, and takes the same skill and knowledge. To suggest that digital art is something else, is just fine art elitism that has no place in serious art discussion. Any artist worth their salt realizes that medium doesn't matter a whole lot.
    ~sigh~ let me reiterate: "no need to split hairs and act like this is a chan forum; one can easily use a technology while asking for a distinction between it and something else. Many of you seem to be reacting like I spoke out against digital media when I did not... I just would like a clear definition."

I love how touchy (some) digital artists get about this; I AM NOT putting down, demeaning, or otherwise degrading digital media! I am not a "fine-art elitist"

I do feel strongly about certain things, but at the same time I am not as informed about other things as I would like to be; hence I am trying to spark up a discussion. Why don't you all HELP me understand better instead of labeling me an elitist.

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speedpainting = digital. ala prima = traditional. That's just the way it is. Doubt it will change, at least anytime soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how touchy (some) digital artists get about this; I AM NOT putting down, demeaning, or otherwise degrading digital media! I am not a "fine-art elitist"
    They are trying to, but when you suggest "digital art" is not equal to "paint", you are painting yourself (pun intended) as one of those "fine art elitists". No distinction needs to be made. Making the distinction will only weaken both sides, because then you are forcing someone to go one way or the other. Digital is not a new kind of art, it is a new medium.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Astroluc, I'm not having a go at you here, but why is it you care so much about this digital/traditional thing?

In both of the threads you've been posting in recently you've had replies from traditional painters, digital painters and a cross section who use both to varying degrees.
    The vast majority of people who've responded see it as "just tools, dude" ,
    I don't understand why it's such a big deal in your head?

I can kinda see the "clearly labelled terms" thing, but what about if I sketch in pencil, scan it into PS then colour it? That's an unweildy thread description right there.
    How about the thumbnail pencil sketch that I'll be building a rough 3D layout of in XSI then printing out and transferring to canvas to paint in oil?

They're tools, that's all.

Last edited by Flake; July 31st, 2008 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Astroluc, I'm not having a go at you here, but why is it you care so much about this digital/traditional thing?

In both of the threads you've been posting in recently you've had replies from traditional painters, digital painters and a cross section who use both to varying degrees.
    The vast majority of people who've responded see it as "just tools, dude" ,
    I don't understand why it's such a big deal in your head?

I can kinda see the "clearly labelled terms" thing, but what about if I sketch in pencil, scan it into PS then colour it? That's an unweildy thread description right there.
    How about the thumbnail pencil sketch that I'll be building a rough 3D layout of in XSI then printing out and transferring to canvas to paint in oil?

They're tools, that's all.
    Can't you understand that I am trying to resolve exactly what you just described? So... I can't make sense of it; should I?? Shoud'nt I??? I'M SUFFERING AN ARTISTIC CRISIS AND ALL PEOPLE DO IS GET DEFENSIVE AND CALL ME ELITIST!!

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin. View Post
    They are trying to, but when you suggest "digital art" is not equal to "paint", you are painting yourself (pun intended) as one of those "fine art elitists". No distinction needs to be made. Making the distinction will only weaken both sides, because then you are forcing someone to go one way or the other. Digital is not a new kind of art, it is a new medium.
    WHEN did I ever level a quantifying term like "equal"?? I asked a f*cking question and met adversity almost accross the board.

for a community full of artists there seems to be a lot of lack of understanding to one that is trying to resolve this digital thing... I attended college BEFORE the digital revolution and would like to learn more about it! Yeah, I'm a bit lodged in the ways I know but I AM OPEN TO NEW THINGS!

Goddamn... call me an elitist?? GOD FOR~F'ng~BID I show some deviation to the norm around here and try to resolve my issues.

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are the one levying for separate terms for the 2; don't get so piffy. If you are as open as you say you are you wouldn't be so adverse to listening to what everyone is saying. I derived the word equal just from the way you're talking. You don't want Digital painting to be painting even though it is. Take a chill pill, this is the internet. Miscommunication happens, but anger isn't going to make you any friends.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    Isn't la prima a fancy term for analog speedpainting? Or am I confusing something here?
    Not necessarily, alla prima just means that you work in one layer while it is wet. You could spend 20 hours on an alla prima painting if you keep it wet. Most alla prima painters I know spend about 8 to 12 hours on a 16x20 painting.

The traditional paint version of speed painting is called quick studies. And if you wanna see a quick studies master check out Craig Nelson. http://www.craigzart.com/showcase_studies_p1.html
    All of the images there are 60 minutes or less. And no he isn't lying lying I know him and have seen him do similar things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I attended college BEFORE the digital revolution
    As did I and many others who post here.

Sure, some of the tech existed but it wasn't in anything like mainstream use, I think the graphic design department had the only computers, primitive macs attached to a scanner the size of a desk.
    Edit: actually the animation department had one, it was some kinda digitiser set up linked to an overhead camera for cell animation.

Anyway my point was that as the digital techniques and tools started to appear I didn't see a Revolution I just saw fun shiny new toys to play with.

Last edited by Flake; August 1st, 2008 at 12:48 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.