Help me finish this piece of #@!*!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help me finish this piece of #@!*!

I'm learning Painter and have gotten to like it quite a bit. However this piece has gotten to a stage where I can't look at it over and over. I feel like it needs some more, but frankly can't decide about it anymore. Let me know what you think, how you might finish it etc etc. A different perspective might help.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, couple things - you have a good start here so don't beat yourself up too hard

A. You have Moonlight coming from behind them, but it feels like there's a spotlight coming from the viewer as well, so everything ends up looking kinda flat.

B. The ground shadow on the knight is decent, but the big guy's shadow completely drops off a little away from his feet. It should be big like him and be overshadowing the knight if you're going to keep the moon behind them.

C. The surrounding environment and it's textures feel too bland and make everything around them feel seriously flat, and the environment doesn't feel very deep - try lightening the rocks/mountains as they get further back into the background, this will also help create more atmosphere and depth.

Okay, well, good luck, I hope to see more updates on this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, those were some decent suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotta say I'm really concerned about the knight's head converging at the giant's crotch. It wouldn't be AS bad, but you've made some brush strokes around as well as avoided texture on the loincloth near his head, so it gives this highlighted halo. Normally overlapping helps depth, but I'm wondering if in this case separation might help.

Define the knight's sword arm a bit better (if not change it completely)...it took me a while to figure out he was doing a back swing. I can't tell the elbow from the glove.

I agree with the lighting. Luckily with a moon that big you're going to have some nice blue ambient light so you'll still see the characters, but a strong rim light--even one that slightly blurrs the top of the giant--is a must. The moon is also very low, which will make their shadows very long (but not sharp).

I figure you aren't about to change the sketch at this point, so I'll leave that be. I do like the giant's face, the knight's pose, and the overall energy in the piece.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.