Female elf warrior
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Female elf warrior

Hey guys, I started this for the Chow, which allas got canned. So I just decided to try and finish it. But ive come to the point where I always come, and got stuck... Any crits are very welcome! How can I raise this to a next level?

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this. Great start!

One thing that sticks out at me right off the bat is that the image really looks quite flat. First, I think becasue it's been pasted onto that background. But that should be an easy fix to try and incorporate into the BG. But second, I think your light source needs to be really well established. It just seems a little unclear, although I'm thinking you have it above and towards the front? I think if you realy make use of the shadow under her sword arm that's laying across her abdomen and then put some nice highlights in the legging and belt areas it will help quite a bit. The other thing that kind of bothers me is the size of her head. I understand that she's an elf and therefore things like her head will be small in nature. Right now, though, with her head being so small in porportion to the rest of her body she looks like a giant. A slim giant, but very tall none the less and elves are usually on the smallish side. I think if you really want to convey that in a realistic sense then her head should appear bigger. Sort of the way you make a child look childsized by making it's head to body ratio that much more exaggerated than in an adult. This is something that you could easily experiment on without committing to too much. Other areas to work on are refining the face and hair area, as well the armour on her calf (sorry, drawing a blank on what you call those), as those areas seem a little unfinished and hurried, respectively to me.

All in all, though, this is a very nice piece and is very much worth taking to the next level. Did you have something in mind for the BG?

Hope all that helps!

Last edited by Eric Lofgren; July 25th, 2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Point clarification
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Lofgren For This Useful Post:

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What exactly is it you are stuck on?

The character design looks good to me, I've got nothing to critique on that. Composition flows pretty well too. Though you might want to check your wind because that ribbon is flapping around pretty flamboyantly but her hair, loincloth thingy, and cape are rather still.

Other than that I think you're on the right track, just keep polishing out the rendering.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her torso seems really well done but her legs look like they are from another picture. its like they are being hit by different light then her torso.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlademanUnitPi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try a wider range of tones and keep in mind the way light sculpts the form...
    Looking good.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beren120 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like her.
    The head and torso are a little small relative to the lower half of her body, but I don't think its really a major issue here (can't go wrong with long legs right?)

I think you could give some texture to the scabbard though, and work on the armor (especially around the grieves and foot pieces.)

Make sure the skin tone of her face matches the other parts of her body. Her thighs are all flush, pink and sexy, but her face says "I could throw up on you at any minute" since its so green by comparison.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonwclark For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think overall as everyone said you're definitely good with adding nice costume design.

Things I noticed is that you're adding too white or black instead of observing how color works. For example, you added these really big blotches of black instead of using other values to give the armor depth.

You may want to pull back from the details a bit and get some of the major values right, it's going to frustrate you because you realize you're going to lose detail.

The trick is, that details are nice but getting the major shapes right is the hardest part, the details are your frosting. If you notice a lot of concept art, you'll notice that often times artists will play with "fuzzing things out" so that you're feeling a "field of depth" I apologize if I'm not using the right terms.

I attached this quickie paintie thing, and I used the leg as an extreme example, but it's better pulled off in the cape.

When you're adding highlights and shadows smack your hand the minute you go to pure white or pure black. There are some great threads on color theory in the forums too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dunno if you noticed, but the background colour between her arm/sword/hip and the little bit in the hilt of the sword is different from the rest of it...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first think I noticed is that he color of the BG and the color of the figure is essentially the same. like you were workig monchromatic in pink...
    the sword and the marbled strip are the same color which puts them on the same level of the picture plane. which is flattening your space.

its a nice pic, I do wonder a bit what, besides the ears, makes this an elf?

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of good points posted above. One thing to think about is how skin tone reacts to environmental lighting. If you have a room lit with a pink light, the skin will become pinkish. If blue, almost a purplish. In this case you have purple light and some sort of off yellow greenish skin. It really doesn't match.

Keep working on this, the biggest problem you have is it isn't finished being rendered.

My work: [link]

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Wow, very good criticism everyone! I can really do something with this..

Eric Lofgren: Yes I need to do more with the background. Now I have some quasi-graphic thing, but maybe i can try to add a "real" background (yet simple) I see the light source is also something I should work on.. The head is like that because I tried to make her powerful looking, but maybe I exagerated it a bit too much. Ill try how she looks with a somewhat bigger head!

Anid Maro: The thing i'm stuck on is not necessarily only this painting, but most of my character paintings halt at this stage. I don't get past a certain point. If I look at proffesional work I can see that I'm clearly not there yet, So i hope to get some knowledge about things lacking. (which I certainly got!) The ribbon was a bit for composition, but I see it would look better if the hair and cape also would move more.

BlademanUnitPi: haha, thats me trying to do the "depth of field by color thing" but failing . I definetly need to work on the skintone.

beren120: Sorry for sounding stupid, but where should I uses more tones, do you mean more shadow?

Jasonwclark: Ah yes the skintones, working on it . I will try to refine the undefined parts more!

Arshes Nei: Thank you very much, the paintover was really insightful! I know what you mean by the depth of field thing. I even tried to put it in here by using different colors in the focal area (more saturation in face and torso) But it didnt work out so well. Often I am a bit clueless where exactly put the detail and where not. But the thing you suggest really works well, ill try and experiment with it.

daestwen: haha thats just me being sloppy, i didnt notice .

chaosrocks: i tried different background colors, but i always find it to be very difficult to choose a good one . But as i mentioned before, the background indeed needs work. What makes this an elf? I tried to add floral patterns in the clothing, and exagerate the proportions a bit. Other than that... I dont know.. Maybe she needs more of a "higher being" feel to to the picture?

Blue: I will try too make the face and breast area more pink, like the legs. But still make them stand out a bit? or would it be better to make the thighs also a focal point?

Again thank you very much all, I really got more from you guys than id hope for!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nudged things around. Maybe something in there that you can use.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thats a lot of paintovers, Prometheus|ANJ did the best one so far, but im surprised noone has adressed the legs yet.

somehow ppl just forget hips and put legs directly on the body.
    I hope its okay that i did a paint over on ur paintover Prometheus|ANJ.

but she had Spaghetti legs, its important to make the legs really suport the body.

so simply what i did was.
    - made her legs longer on the top halft (thighs).
    -straighten out the spaghetti legs.
    -tilter her hips for a more natural pose and better suport.

hope it was helpfull.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While the paintover Prom and Lot provided help a lot with the calves and armor, I don't know if you guys noticed that you caused the legs to go unbalanced. If the foot on the viewer's left is the forefront support leg the foot should not be higher in one the plane than the foot on the right. It's causing a wonky perspective.

If you look at it, it's causing an optical illusion, like MC Escher.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to QT Melon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    While the paintover Prom and Lot provided help a lot with the calves and armor, I don't know if you guys noticed that you caused the legs to go unbalanced. If the foot on the viewer's left is the forefront support leg the foot should not be higher in one the plane than the foot on the right. It's causing a wonky perspective.

If you look at it, it's causing an optical illusion, like MC Escher.
    haha, your right, I totaly missed that.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lotet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first off check out this amazing tut http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

as far as the image goes, i would strongly suggest to get rid of the background for now (u can ad it back on later) but u want to focus on the the character itself, just keep the background brownish, the face could use some more flesh redisch shades of colour and u could benefit allot from accenting the lightsorce more, so that the shadows become more clear, as of now the light comes sort of from anywhere,

keep at it

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Brun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow guys, what can I say, thank you so much for your insight!

Prom: Yes sir I can certainly get something out of that! The colors are really helpful and so are the shapes, i see my outlines were maybe a bit boring. This really makes me look at my picture from a different point of view.

Lotet: Very interesting, i didnt notice until now. I do want to keep her a bit slender for the elfishness but indeed she could be more steady.

QT Melon: Heh I see .

Brun: Awesome tutorial indeed (thx Prom). Yes I really need to update my knowledge about color. Most of the time im endlessly sliding colorlayers in photoshop to get the desired effect, but it kind of ruins the image for me. I hope I can make the colors in especially the upper half more appealing and less "dead".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMoon View Post
    Lotet: Very interesting, i didnt notice until now. I do want to keep her a bit slender for the elfishness but indeed she could be more steady.
    she still need hips, if you want her slender thne you have to make her torso/bust thinner to, cause hips and bust have the same with.
    and whats making some one slender or thin is not the width of the body, its the relationship betwean the both (hips and torso).

Last edited by Lotet; July 28th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.