Wanna have some?

this is my little dragon. hope you like it. greeez oaki

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should post more creature drawings, not the paintings, just your pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

Did you give this a good thought and good drawing before you started to paint it? It is really helpful to have a rendered drawing before you go painting away.

What program did you use for this? The line quality is really pixely and what are those white blotches?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's cute. The very first thing you could do to improve it would be to try cropping it in a few different ways to turn it into a stronger overall composition, rather than just a character floating on a blank red field.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and the BG is nearly as saturated as the figure you mihgt want to lower the saturatio on the BG.. the image it'self is charming. and alittle curious as it is a fairly western dragon eating chinese food.

it would also be nice to have an in dication of a ground plane since other wise the the un-levelness of the feet make him a little off ballance

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I find doing attractive linework using a tablet nearly impossible, Oaki. I'm about to give it up. It's hard to get good variation in the width and flow. Maybe I'm not using pressure-sensitivity properly. I get the impression a lot of experienced digital artists do the linework traditionally, with pencil or pen, and then scan it in to paint.

Ummm...which is to say, I think the outline is working against your character.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you so much. you guys are cool! thx for the critique. i´ll work on it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There is a lot of dead space in this picture. I also think it might help if you shrunk it down a bit.

There is a saying about "Good from far, but far from good"

This very large image is showing more flaws in technical handling of coloring, and could correct itself if shrunken down.

Although a cartoony drawing, this figure should have some kind of weight. The feet don't look planted correctly causing a very odd float, balancing position.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The very first thing I'd look at doing is reducing the size of the image you've got there. It's very hard to see on screen - you can preview your image before you commit your post, so I'd suggest doing that next time.

That aside, your copy and pasted smoke or smudgey white things in the background are not doing you any favors. If an element that you've put in starts working against your image, especially when we're talking composition, take it out. Unless it is helping you convey your message, it becomes a distraction, so those really need to go.

The other thing that I'd look at is your line weight around the character - beef that up. Doing so will help solidify your character and place him solidly in the picture - keep your lighter lines inside that, except where something overlaps, such as where the belly overlaps the farther arm and farther leg.

Your colour choices work fairly well, though I think they could be a bit richer, but that may be just me.

Alright, did some quick line work and clean up around the head. See if that doesn't make some sense. I'd like to see you extend that throughout the rest of the character. I also cropped in on him and got rid of the whispy white stuff floating around just to help bring the eye right to the character.

Also, be aware of the space that you are working with - if you're working digitally this is a little easier than traditionally with pen and paper. Digitally, you can always adjust the canvas to work for you - if you're working traditionally on paper, you're a little more restricted, but you can get around this by outlining your live area (where you're going to do the drawing) first, and then working within those parameters that you've established. Once the illustration is done, you can always use a matt to further maximize your space and crop out any areas that didn't quite work for you. Again, digitally, this isn't so much an issue because you can resize your working area at any time.

One final note: 300 dpi (dots per inch) is a fine resolution for print (however, your image would still be very small) but not fine for the web, which is why your image is so large above.

With your next posting, you will want to resize image to no larger than 72 dpi. I don't know which program you're using, but it's a fairly simple thing to do. With Photoshop, go to your tool bar across the top and click Image - you'll see a drop down menu - click on "Image size" and check your settings. If you're not sure what to do from there, feel free to ask, we'll help you out!

Anyway, I hope that this all helps.

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.