CCM261: Treant Tryout

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hai there!

This is the first time I've post or display any of my works here. Anyway, this is a concept of a creature which I intend to make into a 3D Model when I have the time. It's a treant, tree creature or whatever you deem fit to call it!! I'm never a good artist, so any feedbacks on how I can improve this would be really awesome!! Here is this image... I hope it's clear enough!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Technically, the lineart is good (not too much to debate there since who's going to know the anatomy of a treant? ). However, when I look at it I'm just kind of...enh, it's been done. Part of conceptualizing is taking something that's been done and pushing at it's limits. I wish you'd pushed him out of what we'd expect to see.

Do some research on actual foilage, instead of relying on your limited memory recall. Add something like vines, or bamboo, or play up the fungi you started with. Base him on the characteristics of a birch, or a palm or a bonzai. Think about his pose and body type in terms of dynamic shapes and THEN break it down into a creature...he doesn't have to follow the humanoid archetype. Why does he have padded feet instead of roots? Etc, etc.

I do like the mustache and the logs stuck to his back. Of course I like the bit of fungi, even if I do wish there were more.

Last edited by Mirana; July 29th, 2008 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like a machine or golem to me almost as much as a treant; like it was put together in pieces rather then being one organic whole, which you would more likely expect from a tree man. I also get the impression of stone, especially on the legs and back.

If he's supposed to be extremely large, I would suggest that you give him some smaller details to give him more of a sense of scale. A few smaller branches sticking out here or there would do the trick. If not there's a sort of disconnect going on in the picture, where the foliage is suggesting that he's a lot bigger then he's supposed to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! hanks for the replies, it gave me new insight to improve them!! I'll remake it, and will update it again soon!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The creature itself looks pretty cool, but the drawing leads me to a few questions. The lack of texture leaves me wonderin if the solid portions of the body is made of wood or stone. Also I think he would look better if there were some more glyphs on him rather than just on the hand. I hope to see the Model once you've made it. Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.