Triangle

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Triangle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Triangle

Last edited by marak24; July 24th, 2008 at 07:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much of her foundation looks pretty good but that high arm I think is a little short if it is not coming toward us. Because of how it inserts to her shoulder I suspect that it is coming toward us, though, and therefore the hand and forearm should be bigger from foreshortening.

The billowing white region by her head is sort of like the worlds biggest B52s wig, or else a spun fiberglass octopus helmet. You may want to think about indicating where the outer boundary of her hair is if part of that is supposed to be a cloud.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Amy? Amy Winehouse? Is that you...?

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering is looking fairly good. I'd like to see what you're planning with the scene. keep us posted on your progress.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Amy? Amy Winehouse? Is that you...?
    man, now I can't un-see it.

Anyway, her staff isn't strait, the metallics could use some more work, and her neck is pretty long but other than that it's pretty damn awesome so far!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like it! I really like it. But, is she standing or flying? Is she working on exercises or fighting something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You gave a muscular woman a skinny neck and kinda a small face. She's a bit more Brooke Hogan bodywise (another pic here and here) than say Keira Knightley. Compare the necks (sterno-something-mastoid muscles specifically).

Watch her biceps, they seem a li'l skinny compared to thouse big shoulders and thighs. Maybe the tummycrease and pose are confusing me, but i think her right arm (our left) is a tad too long, while the other arm needs some more forshortning going.

The skirt playing around her foot is a nice thought... but she'll trip over it! Hmm.. check her balance too, she's leaning a bit too the right, rather than to the left like the body is suggesting.

I'm not sure of her right (our left) thigh around the knee, the way you drew it now doesn't suggest foreshortening enough there, and makes her calf/ feet look in the way of her motion rather than adding to it. I think you should rethink that area, pointing the knee more straight up to us, putting her calf more in perspective and less from the sideview. K, i know this is a dude and not the right pose and stuff, but check his left (our right) leg. That's a bit more sane motionwise. The sideview will hurt her hip like crazy.

The hair makes no sense now. Why go all graphic like there, while you rendered all so nice? And yeah.. Amy plays along now too :/ . You gave her consistent gear on the body, why not design a neat looking headornament or helmet?

The weapon she's playing with also disregards the perspective on the body. Her right arm suggest it's closer to her body there than with the left arm.. but it's not showing.

While i'm getting pleasant Red Sonja memories and inspiration from this... you still gotta put in some work. The tummy is awesome. The boobs are a bit too silicon to me, but still 'realistic siliconboobs'-like. I dig the outfit and i dig the pose you are going for. Now add some more hours.

Last edited by Cookiedough; July 24th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all I must say that I really like the silhouette you got going on this. Looks really great on the thumb.

I did a paint-over with a couple of suggestions, hope thats alright, just a few changes I would personally do to enhance that dynamic pose. I moved the spearthing down because you seem to have lengthened her neck in order for her face to not be covered. I put her on the ball of her feet and suggesting another angle for her right foot so that it doesn't flow into her leg, slight boob change and how i would position her head. I also would change the angle of her dagger so that its not just hanging straight down when the rest of her is in such movement.

I would also slightly open her right hand when wielding the weapon, draw her with the pinky out or something so that it's not just a fist.

All this is, of course, my opinion. I think you got something really nice going and would love to see it finished.

Cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    heart and soul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Your rendering is looking fairly good. I'd like to see what you're planning with the scene. keep us posted on your progress.
    Glad I'm not crazy here. Really nice job.

Her head might be tad bit small, but I think you should also really start composing the whole picture rather than just rendering certain areas. It'll look like you just rendered certain areas... and you don't want that, do you? Without going forward you can't really be sure how to do properly bring interest to key areas and such. I'm sure you've heard all that before, sorry to be dad and all.

Good job.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Glad I'm not crazy here. Really nice job.

Her head might be tad bit small, but I think you should also really start composing the whole picture rather than just rendering certain areas. It'll look like you just rendered certain areas... and you don't want that, do you? Without going forward you can't really be sure how to do properly bring interest to key areas and such. I'm sure you've heard all that before, sorry to be dad and all.

Good job.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I agree with what most of the people here are saying. The rendering looks nice, you've got that part nailed. But the pose is very confusing, and her facial expression isn't helping me understand what she's doing/thinking either. I think you need to revisit the gesture phase of this and clarify her action. If she's attacking, really SELL that she's attacking. If she's defending, again make sure that her whole body tells us that. I think a little study of animation will go a long way for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critiques guys, it's really helping. I'm trying my best to fix the issues.

I don't really know whether she's attacking or defending. It doesn't really matter to me as I'm not trying to illustrate a scene here. I think I'm going to leave the background fairly blank, but it's looking kind of tacky right now -_-

Triangle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just don't give up on it. It's a good drawing so far, and a lot of people are pulling for you here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see you go someplace in between what you had originally with the hair and what you have now. At first you had a WHOLE LOT of hair and it was overwhelming. Now, you have too little. You can lengthen her hair and make it flow in a twisting direction downwards to show the breeze (just remember not to puff too much above her head, hair doesn't do that unless an afro ). The white hair does a lot to add contrast, but going too little seems to hurt as much as good too big.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    The billowing white region by her head is sort of like the worlds biggest B52s wig, or else a spun fiberglass octopus helmet. You may want to think about indicating where the outer boundary of her hair is if part of that is supposed to be a cloud.
    You know I liked the graphic quality of her hair. I agree with Blue here. In an effort to improve you killed the hair instead of finding something in between bald and massive afro. Really really great piece though. I would love to see another pic of your progress.

Last edited by eskanto; July 29th, 2008 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work!

Although, the position of the stocking on her right leg (our left) makes the leg look twisted, here's what I mean.

Last edited by The Whistler; July 26th, 2008 at 06:57 AM.
    Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Triangle

Background/hair is still annoying me...thanks for all the help guys. It's really appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing hair right can be a pain, but instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, look at what women already look up to. You'll be expanding your viewer base this way as well.

Here are just a few. All you need to do is pick a style you like and toss it around to show the action you're girl is in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the help Blue. I'm still trying to play around with the hair but I now think the background is part of the problem too. It's too blank.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her expression looks almost as if she's getting ready to dance, or doing a practice round with the spear. Of course, that could just be me. It looks really awesome though. I'm pulling for you. I agree with the other posts here. and, her hair!!! It's still needs something, I'd look at those pics and try to get it down. Really great pic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want your awesome coloring/anatomy skills!!!

I liked her long flowing hair before you gave her a complete haircut. It adds a great deal to the mood. Her head and her neck are rather small (neck's a bit long as well), as mentioned. The two necklines look like they are about to pop out. Shouldn't they make more of a half-U and half-V instead of a V intersection?

The yellow highlight on her left breast and face are there, but why not the rest of her body?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marak24 View Post
    Thanks for all the help Blue. I'm still trying to play around with the hair but I now think the background is part of the problem too. It's too blank.
    Have you though about building up the background in an abstract way? Maybe with varying brushstrokes and colors?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When i first looked at it, her pose was very elegant yet strong, it reminded me of ballet.

Have you checked out any images of female ballerina pictures?
    Here is Hegre photography (it has some nudity, but the poses are very similar to what you have), this might help you with twisting some of the bottom part of the left leg, and maybe help with the arms.

http://www.my-nightstand.com/hegre/yanna01/page.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so im curious, is this from imagination, references, both, or what?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tecnophreak View Post
    so im curious, is this from imagination, references, both, or what?
    This is all from imagination. I haven't actually used reference for the anatomy yet so I think I'm on a pretty good track so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Triangle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It may just be me, but the raised arm appears too short when compared to her other one. Especially the upper arm.

Sagacious, sage, salacious, salubrious, salutary, sanctimony, sanction, sanguine, sanity, satiate, saturnine, savant, savor, sawdust, scorch, scribble, scurvy, sedulous, seminal, sententious, sere, sermon, serrated, servile, severance, shallow, shrewd, shunned, slack, sodden, soporific, sullied, sadist, stupid, super, special, small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice picture, that amazon looks really sexi .

Only two things bugs my eye :
    1. The perspective of the spear, the sense of direction in space seems ambiguous.
    2. The flat surface she's standing on, everything else is so dynamic compared to this part. Try something that will fit to the rest of the image.

But that's just my opinion, look really great so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I don;t mind this at all I think it is a good start...

I would add some highlights to the bra? I would also redo the right eye of the face.. maybe the whole face in general.. work on muscular definition and find the right light effect and you will pull it off..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like others have already stated, the main problem is her left arm. It has no sense of proportion so looks like she has one dwarf arm!

Also, I'm not sure about the effect you've used on the hair. It clashes with the way you've painted the rest of her. I'm all for mixing and matching styles but I don't think it works here..it just looks a little lazy.

Hope that helps. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.