IDW #72: Clock - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite entry in this round of IDW

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • murmurman

20 62.50%
  • purb36

4 12.50%
  • Maieth

8 25.00%
  • Anid Maro

0 0%
  • Warbait

0 0%
  • Chaosrocks

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #72: Clock - Voting

Topic: Clock

Deadline for voting: Sunday, August 3

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #72: Clock

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; July 28th, 2008 at 09:02 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dont worry heres one :)

Hi everyone. I'm new to here and fairly new at photoshop painting (i actually surprised myself with this one) but i wanted to start doing these. Going to Stout for ID this fall. Thanks for organizing this yoitisi!

well here is it. crits welcome.
    had ideas rolling all over my head while i drove my forklift at work trying not to kill people.

i think i was inspired by this because im adding onto my hosta garden right now and dealing with large rocks and theres a birdbath around, ha.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    legit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my first IDW entry. WOOHOO!!!!

nice work, murmurman.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sticking with this one. would have liked to worked it up more, but i've simply had no time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing terribly creative, but the idea popped into my head and begged to be painted. Done in watercolors and ink.

Name:  IDW_Clock.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  48.1 KB

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Clock Design

Point: It moves around the house following you or random move patterns., the lasers are for distance and direction.
    The "head" rises and lowers for comfort of viewing.
    Small speakers for sound.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tended by generations of buddhist monks, the ching-wa falls clock, although made of carved wood and telling time by sunlight projected on to a cliff, is surprisingly accurate.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A few notes on this round:

I feared this round, for some reason, wouldn't see any entries but I'm glad to see not everyone bailed out on this one

However, quality-wise (especially in the rendering department) I must say that I've seen better rounds. I hope you all realise that doing one or several IDW's could be a nice addition for your portfolio, and it is with this idea in my mind that I moderate this activity.

Since we have so little entries, I didn't feel like keeping anyone out of the poll though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Murmurman gets my vote. well done Thought the water clock was a good idea that showed some thought, and was also very nicely rendered.
    Purb, I also liked your idea, I can imagine that being built and sitting in someone's room, but i think apart from Murmuman, we all need to work more on our final images. For my own sake, I wish i had more time, but i shouldn't even be on here now, I should be bent over my desk trying to convince my uni that I can still write a decent essay.
    Chaosrocks and Warbait I think both of your images could be quickly improved with a little more attention to the basic drawing. Both images seem to have been coloured very early on, before the design has been fully fleshed out.
    just my twopennyworth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    murmurman – You have won my vote. For being fairly new to Photoshop you did a wonderful job. I love the concept. I have always like rock gardens and waterfalls so I would be one of the first to buy this if it was real =). Your coloring of the rocks is splendid as well. As far a crit, I love the rocks but they almost seem a bit soft on the edges, possible use a hard edge brush or if it is a result of blending then maybe select it first so the edges stay hard where they need to. With the amount of detail that you placed in your rocks and waterfall I would have liked to see you tighten up the base and the lips of the bowls a bit more since as of now they have that unfinished feel to them. Other than that the only thing I would add/change is I think there should be a bit more highlight on the water doesn’t seem shiny enough to me and I would have upped the contrast a bit to bring out the color a bit more of the whole image. Great work, im looking forward to seeing more work from you.

Kenny
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are in one way right and in one way wrong. My piece went directly to color, because I think like a painter, in that sense it wasn't drawn at all. This is not nessisarily wrong. just different process.
    On the other hand I know that I needed to put more time on this. my apologies for slacking. I find the whole IDW thing scary as Im not inclined toward tidyness or precision. and I know that this sort of design relies on a clean finish. what can I say..Im working on it. my thanks to yoitisi for letting me paly outside my usual arena.
    crx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thoughts

hi there, i'm glad more people joined in I hope more people try the next one. thinking about chess set myself.

purb36 thanks. Pinball clock is great. I can just see it going back and forth in.. say a 50's restaurant (maybe because of red/silver), a gameroom or something similar. "Keeps the ball rolling even when you don't!" haha, nice. +1 vote from me

Maieth thanks. I like you halo design. as others have said, it does seem like it would fit in amongst apple things which is cool. Id fear for the life of my electronics around all the magnets though ;p Since you were the first poster (in other thread) it was fun to see a different design.

Anid Maro I like your medium. Clock reminds me of some old western style.

warbait Neat little bot clock. I'd be afraid of tripping over it ;p maybe a cat would like to chase it around.

chaosrocks Would like to see more of it. Hard to tell how its working exactly, cool idea though. I myself was thinking about combining water and light to make some sort of sun dial/water clock.

--

kMh Thanks for crits. Yeah looking at the rocks now, they do seem soft. Although for painting i initially used all hard edged, but i experimented with different brushes i got from bumskees and used those for moss/texture. I didn't think to go back in and reshadow them :'( I would like to add more shadows for sure and create a more definitive light source. As for basins yeah... i agree. I had them planned nicely from the direct front view, but transferring them into 3d to make look pleasing to the eye was a challenge for me... probly more sketches were needed and probly training on my part! thanks man.

Last edited by Murmurman; July 28th, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
    legit

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Murmurman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Murmurman - Pretty cool concept and the texture of the rocks came out nicely. However like mentioned they do look a bit soft. Also I noticed a lot of your curves (basin borders and base of clock in particular) look wobbly, going over that with a hard-edged eraser could've fixed that up.

All in all nice work though.

Purb36 - Another cool concept. Fun idea, a pinball clock.

Could've used a little more rendering time, as is it looks somewhat washed out. Some stronger contrasts would've helped with that. And the cast shadow doesn't quite make sense, it looks wider than it should be at the end and the way it raises up indicates that the background is also raising.

I think the problem with the shadow is that the clock itself is not drawn in perspective while the shadow seems to be. If either the clock were in perspective or the shadow were seen in an isometric view it would've worked out.

Otherwise good stuff, well thought out concept with how the time ticks off and the ball gets brought back up to the top.

Maieth - Nice, futuristic, and simple. I really like how yours turned out, especially since it gave a view of inside the casing to show the mechanical bits. Your image gives everything I think of when I hear "Industrial Design", it's got the item and the design of it.

Nothing that I can crit, in fact I'm taking some notes for the future.

Anid Maro - What a boring concept. Bleh. And your watercolors, they're so sloppy it's like you cranked this out over a weekend or something! Give it some more effort next time around.

Warbait - Nifty concept, like a sort of R2D2 clock. Your perspective doesn't seem to set quite right though, it looks like the objects on the table (clock and cup) should be sliding off as if the table has been tilted.

I've had that problem myself before, it's hard to get the perspective right on a table when you're working with such a close view. When faced with that I'll sometimes try drawing it out from a much wider view and then "zooming in" (either by literally zooming in if I'm working digital, or redrawing a "detail view" of the large drawing).

Arguably your rendering could be tightened, but I like seeing all the brushstrokes in the image. I also think the rough brushstrokes turned out to be a nice contrast with the relatively smooth table.

Chaosrocks - Yeah I see what you're saying with a painterly approach. Not much for me to say, it just needs more time and love.

As far as tidiness and precision goes, the way I typically approach with a painterly medium is I start out with sloppy "blobs" and then "whittle" them down somehow into something more exact. Digital is really great for that since you can putz around an' be sloppy 'till the near end and then handle your precision and clean up last.

That's usually how I prefer it, I don't much like having to be exact from the start.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.