Sketchbook: Freha's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freha's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Freha's Sketchbook

Hello ya'll. I'm an aspiring young artist looking to one day work as a concept artist. I have a BFA in Illustration from Grand Valley State University here in Michigan. I have had a passion for concept art and illustration since I was in my early teens and ever since then I have worked towards the goal of being a concept artist for movies/games. The idea of creating something nonexistent, fleshing it out, and then seeing it come to life on the big screen makes my eyes go all a twinkle.

This is a collection of work I have done, sketches to final work, consisting of mostly concept art and illustration.
    ~Freha~

I'll start by introducing you to Fifi and her family. They are my boredom killers when in classes... or whenever I want to draw something that is both creepy and "cute".

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Freha; March 3rd, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: new info
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Fifi and Family

Full body ink drawings of Fifi, Spike(Fifi's mate) and their puppin's Mimi and Spot.

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well realised concepts. Creepy, cute and believeable. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick concept-ish work

Thanks Donalfall.

Some quick concept stuff. The antelope thingy and the scary demon are class work, and the shadow deer was a creature concept for a comic that never got started.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Egyptian Gods- Anubis, Set, Hathor

Three of my series of Egyptian Gods and my interpretations of how they look. These are both digital line work. The rest of the series is at my Deviantart gallery.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quill-Dog creature studies

These were studies done for an independent studio class. I developed a project where I would create an imagined creature. Then make three studies of its bone, muscle, and complete form. I made each study in a different pose so that each piece could stand on its own as a illustration.

This project helped me immensely to understand musculature and bone structure in quadrupeds. I would highly recommend this type of exercise for anyone willing to take the time to do it. It was a long process of hard study and analyzing, took me a full semester to complete, but was well worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting! I think on the works on your first and second posts though, some backgrounds or color would really enhance the work.

Check out my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks KingCobra00. I had been planning on adding color to the ink studies of my skull creatures, but with my Grandmother's recent illness and the time it has taken up caring for her(I must take on some of the care since my mother works and we are the only family close enough to take care of her) I did not get the chance to color them. Perhaps in the near future you can expect to see them colored.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Illustrations for Illustration*please critique!!*

These two illustrations were for a final project. My goal was to come up with creature ideas (these two are a forest spirit and the sea creature "leviathan") and do a full color w/ environment illustration. Please critique these heavily. I feel like I improved with these, but I also feel as though I fell incredibly short of my goals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Creatures!

The camel like one I just call Kamel. lol I drew it after browsing the COW forum. And the weird spikey guy is my concept for the Unicorn Hunter COW#119. Its just a study though, I'll be doing a illustration of... it... during a hunt for COW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing stuff. I find it difficult to create a convincing imaginary creature, and you do it quite well. Especially with the kamel and the dog with the muscle, bone, and coat structures.
    Awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can really handle your ink/linework, but when it comes to color/shading I feel that it is not on par with your nicely done linework.

I'd like to see you do some black/white work, maybe from the linework you posted, or just something new, and after these when you feel like jumping to color, read a tad of color theory, and try to work as much as you can like the "guide" says. I know it's an uncomfortable feeling, but remember, it is just for practice, and it's necessary to pump them fundamentals in to your head.

I checked your DA, and saw this in the front http://freha.deviantart.com/art/Comm...-harm-86939340

While you have executed certain parts, like the horse, the wave, and rocks on the right nicely, it feels like there is no atmosphere, water doesnt quite seem like the reflective seethrough material that it is.

The rocks seem quite the same in the back as in the front, and the rocks in the front dont quite seem to fit where they are, that's because theres nokind reflection of them, they just, are there.

You do not have to overpolish all the parts, you can even leave some a bit fuzzy and let the eye handle the rest.

Some things to think about next time, things that I feel like are missing from here;

The direction of which the light is coming from, and the shadows it makes.

Atmosphere - helps alot with depth. While there are many ways to make depth, in a large scale enviorment this is something that is usually seen, but I feel as if it is missing here, so fade the background down a bit.

I'm guessing the horse is the man/woman in spotlight here, so try to build the image for that horse!

You have some real drawing skills, and you know how to render, you just need a bit more to get that lively feeling. Although I wrote alot, you are close to it, I just said the same things many, many, many times, as it is 5:42 am.

So remember, try to throw some atmosphere in there, try to let the object of focus get the spotlight, and read this shizzle:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

I shall open your thread again when you update!

P.S. just read the backstory, corrections to my text

so the horse is indeed *the man in the spotlight

aaand would like to add you did a really good job with the feeling the horse is giving out, just as you were asked to, nice job with that.

I guess http://freha.deviantart.com/art/Thin...udy-1-68307656 is my favourite from your colourwork! and your B/W renderings seem nice! Your linework great to look at, definately a strong point for you!

Last edited by Lakka; July 28th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sharp linework; it's killer. I love those skeletons - so believable. I agree with the above comment that coloring falls a little short. It seems that your color choices are haphazard, that they are perhaps too saturated, and that the colors don't really effect one another.
    Maybe doing some limited palette studies would help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Lakka for the very helpful feedback. Many of the things you mentions are things I have noticed about my work (the color and over rendering issues) and I'm doing my best to work on them in my free time. The work I do for classes is most often drawn from life, so I have the color pallet and values all laid out before my eyes. That link you gave is very helpful. Although I've already had color theory, a refresher that is put into "simple terms" is always nice to have on hand, plus it addresses some things that were covered in my color theory class.

I think your suggestion of doing some black/white studies would do me good. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW #119 entry

I had a go at COW #119. The topic was Unicorn Hunter. I'm not getting any votes on it, but I'm not getting any critical feedback either, so I guess thats a good thing. I would like to know what it is about the piece that is wrong and preventing me from getting noticed. I need some pointers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, Freha!!

Wooooow, what details! I'm amazed by those! I couldn't touch them yet if I tried.

I can't really say anything constructive about how you drew these creatures, because I haven't delved into that sort of drawing. I love the details on them, once again!

I notice that coloured pictures do lose something. For instance, I find the facial expressions aren't as strong in the coloured pictures. The shadows aren't so pronounced, either, so it looks rather like everything in the picture is important--everything is in the foreground.

That might be one reason why your Unicorn Hunter picture didn't stand out as much for votes. Also, for that picture, I love the movement, it's very fast and I can feel that power! However, seeing that creature clip the unicorn's leg...perhaps that action is a bit too slight. Maybe something more needs to have happened, or maybe if nothing else needs to happen, at least darkening the background or changing some aspect of it might make the scene a little creepier, to show the hunting aspect. The suspense of what will happen next!

Maybe that's what you need to work on! Also...perhaps the angle of the scene could be different, like a viewer looking up somewhat, instead of straight ahead, at the chase itself. That might bring more to the picture.

Hope that helps a bit!! I think you're doing awesome work!! Just keep it up! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you JazzW. Both for your compliments and your pointers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20 min Peppers

Did a couple of quick color studies of a pepper. Boring, but they served their purpose. The first one I just sat down and painted from my head. I tried my best to remember what it was like to paint the peppers in my still-life painting course. I felt that it came out really bad, so I went into the kitchen and got out a green pepper. What a difference! Gah! I don't even want to show that first one, but I will anyway, its a good comparison.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

line work concept for COW#126

The line work portion of my submission/s for the "sound creature". The inflatable throat area is what the creature uses to make its call. Also males have bigger throat sacks for inflating during mating... kind of like those ruby throated birds. I think I shall call these creatures Uokaton.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, if you have problems controlling how the colour mixes with each other in painting digitally, and it makes these ugly "overlappings" try to paint in 100% opacity with pressure sensitivity put into pen pressure---> opacity 0-100% with pressure. Then use colour pick key to pick colour beside and try to smooth with this them over. Hard to explain, maybe you find more information for this one somewhere else.

keep posting

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no art connaisseur, but there is definately something about your art style that really appeals to me, great work! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettle_Mountain View Post
    Hello there, if you have problems controlling how the colour mixes with each other in painting digitally, and it makes these ugly "overlappings" try to paint in 100% opacity with pressure sensitivity put into pen pressure---> opacity 0-100% with pressure. Then use colour pick key to pick colour beside and try to smooth with this them over. Hard to explain, maybe you find more information for this one somewhere else.

keep posting
    I think I know what you are trying to explain, and I have been trying out that technique in my more recent pieces. I hardly ever use the "smudge" tool these days. I rape the eyedropper tool instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Fruitdot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final COW Uokaton

Concept: Uokaton
    Uokaton are found in swampy lowlands happily munching away at the salt grass and chomping down a few fish. Uokaton are massive creatures with a low vibrating trumpet-like call. When they call out the sack on their necks inflate revealing the brightly colored skin. During mating season the males fully inflate their throat sacks to attract mates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Traditional experiments

Two experiments with my style in traditional mediums. Pegasus was done in oil glazes, and Freya and her Cat was done with prisma pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoru designs are very creative! Nice sketchbook.
    Have you tried using colours to shade? I notice that a lot of your shading is monochrome. That pegasus should have some mightily yellow backlighting in a background that bright. Some brown-ish shadows, ya know?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit squeamish, and confess that looking at some of these gave me the willys. I do, though, think you draw with a beautifull line in spots, as in your WIP for Soundcreature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow #136 Wip

Decided I couldn't resist this week's COW. Even though most my critters usually involve skulls and sharp pointy teeth, I do love to draw elegant and benevolent dragons. These are just the concepts and a WIP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your gallery so far, I create really interesting horse...er...things ^^

And your WIP looks like it's gonna looks really nice

"Artists who seek perfection in everything
    are those who don't achieve it in anything"
    ~Eugene De La Croix

Deviantart~♥~ twitter~♥~ Blog ~♥~ IFX ~♥~ Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW #136 Final

I never posted this. I rushed on the bg and on the sparkly "fire" breath. I didn't really have the time to do this anyway, I should have been working on class work. Ha!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.