space station

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: space station

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

space station

It's all in the name

I want to thank slash for all the good input he gave me already for this one.

Name:  4b.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  183.2 KB

I imagined it wasn't ff ready yet, so I put it up here for some extra crits.

thanks in advance,

daniel

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an interesting piece, I like the style. I can sense an influence from Dan Dociu. If I'm wrong, please tell me
    I'd like to see a bit more texture/detail in some of the brushstrokes to get a bit more variety, and some denotation of mechanical details on the surface. I might even crop the piece so we can't see the whole station.
    I'm not sure what the scale is, perhaps some design elements could clarify.
    A bit more variation in value throughout the whole piece could make it stronger.

Also, the space station is very vertically aligned. Perhaps this is what you're going for, but I'd argue that there is no "up" or "down" on a space-station and a diagonal composition might work better.

Just my thoughts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Radio24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey radio24, I actually had to look up Dan Dociu since I had never heard of him. Great artist! So thank you for mentioning him, you can be certain he will be an inspiration and influence for me from this day on

I made some adjustments after your crits and here is the progress, hope it improved

Name:  4c.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  211.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think that a bit of an ellipse on the bottom half of the station might push the "3d-ness" of it

personally im not a fan of the blue red background
    i think blue on the bottom half and a sort of black on the top might push the believability of it actually being in space or very high in the atmosphere

take a look at a few of these
    http://images.google.com/images?q=hi...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

composition could also use help i think. the station framed smack dab in the image is a bit boring. i think a more zoomed out shot of it showing other activity with space craft flying around would help it look more interesting

7. The Following User Says Thank You to timp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Myabe add some detail to the lit up parts or some lights / windows /portals?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kidult and timp, thanks!

another update:

Name:  4d.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  221.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I think the station could definitely use more perspective to add some depth and volume to the piece. Unless it's taken with a super long lens or a telescope which would make it almost orthographic like you did. But in that case I think it would be cool to make the moon in the background much bigger, could even be a large backdrop for the picture. And by the way, even if it's almost isometric because of the lens, you could still tilt the station a little bit.

In the latest update, be careful with the overlapping of the station and the spaceship. Right now the part where they overlap is almost a tangent and it creates a lot of tension in that zone, and also flattens the image. I think it would be cool either to detach the ship, or to move it further to the left.

I really like the flat brushes treatment and colors. The palette works nicely.I'm not that fond of the saturated blue space but that's just personal. It still works. Maybe you could add some tiny lights in the station to add some interest and help sell the scale.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to m@. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a larger canvas might be appropriate. It seems very very confined currently. A larger plane will give it more of an expansive feel to it.

That will solve the closeness of the ship also.

I'd also darken up the background and lighten the station, dark will give more space feely to it and definitely deepen the image.

Cheers! Looks great so far!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to combatcasey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    m@ and combatcasey, thank you very much!

Right, another update (I keep updating hehe)

Name:  4e.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  201.7 KB

I have the feeling that, that black looks really flat and not suited... this could also be simply because I have looked to long to it already. Any input?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The perspective still needs to be pushed. Effectively the station is a cylindrical shape with the middle section carved out, correct? Get a cylindrical object, even a glass or vase or something, and get close to it, putting your eye level at around the middle. Do some looking, maybe some drawing. You'll notice the top and bottom become more curved as they get farther from your eye level/horizon. With a huge structure like a space station and being so far away from it, there's no way you would see the kind of even flat shapes you have here. Hope you can make sense of what I've said. It's a good piece and improving pretty steadily I think, address your perspective issue and it will be that much stronger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey aedman, I am a bit confused right now. My theory behind the more flat shapes was that because of the distance you actually make the horizon line more wide and therefor the lines less strong, to say:

a cube from close-by
    Name:  dichtbij.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  66.5 KB

a cube far away
    Name:  ver_weg.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  63.5 KB

shouldn't with the angles of the square becoming less and less strong, the curves of a cylinder become less strong aswell, making it "flatter" ? Or am I really off right now?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about that, yeah, I didn't think about what I was saying in regards to distance. The issue with the space station is that it's huge, and so stretches far in both directions from the horizon line. Like in your examples, the angles (or in this case curves) get more dramatic as they increase in distance from the horizon line. Good call on my error though, hope this clears that up.

edit: the basic point of what I'm saying with all this, is that it needs at least some degree of curvature on the ends, if it's a basically cylindrical structure. You can figure out what works in terms of degree of curvature for the sake of this piece.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to aedman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update - like the spaceship and planet you added in. Maybe just play around with the moon's position - currently its making a large circle silhouette and encloses the space station maybe offset it to the left more? A whole planet edge on the right side could work too.
    Great colour usage - the ship and planets colours combine quite nicely. Watch out for the bottom tip of the spacestation - looks to be dissapearing into the planet. (sorry for my sucky spelling)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a great example on how composission can make a picture good or bad, you should put this up as an tutorial or something, this is great stuff for all the new ppl around here whos battleing with composission problems

and my cent to the piece, its looking great, my only crit is that i liked the overall color scheme in the former one better.

and i dont think you should show the lover edges of the mooon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aedman, thanks for further explaining what you wanted to say. I tried to make it a bit rounder overall

kidult, hmmz.. the moon's position, I kinda liked it this way, in the sence of scale. The space station is big, but the moon/planet is even waaay bigger and can easily swallow the whole space station. I noticed that swallowing part to after I updated hehe hope it is fixed now.

Lotet, hehe, a tutorial. It maybe would be a good example of how NOT to do things, but I don't think I know enough about composition to make a tutorial out of it. Though I learned a great deal about it with this picture. I can only hope I don't make the same mistakes in further paintings

Right.. I think it is close to finished right now:

Name:  4f.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  231.8 KB

I don't know, are there still major things I overlooked now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and even more work on it

Name:  4g.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  235.6 KB

edit: I'm not sure which one I like better though, the more saturated version, or the less saturated version :?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It took you long enough to get rid of that thing stickin' out of the bottom that nobody noticed for maybe the first year or two this was up...made the entire thing look like a friggin' coat rack...

Primary thing when you're doing something in space...DO NOT anchor to the damn bottom of the page...unless you WANT a space coat rack...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this piece a lot. The whole brushstrokes and everything has a fun style to it that I just find entertaining.

However, there are a few things about this piece that still bother me, but fortunately they're minor things, so don't expect to have major alteration ahead of you.

What bugs me is how flat it looks. I mean, you have this planet, a giant space station, and a ship. That works. However, the ship doesn't have any overlap with the space station, and because there is nothing else to measure it by, for all intents and purposes it looks like it is the same size as the space station. Might want to work on that. Also, I think adding in a few more ships, at varying distance from the camera, could REALLY help push the sense of distance in this piece.

Keep up the good work, and hopefully with a little time, this piece will really be popping!

-Dread_Reaper

EDIT: About saturation... This isa touchy issue with me, because I like to saturate the hell out of my work because I'm a hack artist, but I have recently come to see that it doesn't have to be that way. Things closer to us are more saturated and have higher contrast. Things farther away are less saturated and have less contrast. Now frankly I like the more saturated version, but I think the global saturation you've done on the whole piece flattens it a bit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dread_Reaper; July 27th, 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dread reaper, thanks I will try to work on those points. Have to first find where the hell I left the layer with the space ship.... hehe :p

edit: didn't saw your edit hehe, that may be the case, I'll try to play a bit with it and see what I can come up with

Ilaekae, for you:

Name:  space-coatrack.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  206.3 KB

29. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Dread Reaper. It's looking flat. Here's something to add to to value/saturation discussion... Remember you're in space. There is no atmosphere, hence no atmospheric perspective. If that is Earth being illuminated by our Sun, then you' will have insane amounts of contrast. Very bright light against deep, almost black, shadows. Any cast shadows will be hard and crisp. The only reflected light will come from the planet.

Get some good reference if you need. Think 2001: A Space Odyssey or NASA pictures. If you're going for a realistic space scene set in our solar system, you really have to do this.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Labruyere View Post
    dread reaper, thanks I will try to work on those points. Have to first find where the hell I left the layer with the space ship.... hehe :p

edit: didn't saw your edit hehe, that may be the case, I'll try to play a bit with it and see what I can come up with

Ilaekae, for you:

Name:  space-coatrack.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  206.3 KB
    OMG I almost shit myself laughing when I saw this...

Man its getting late here....

-Dread_Reaper

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I like what you had before your first composition for placement that is, All you need is a foreground element, ever heard the term breaking the picture plane ? you could also make the foreground object out of focus to add camera effect. Also increase the height of the whole illustration give it a nice sizing up and add a little width too it, but leave station size alone . The other pieces are flat only way to really improve it is to change the station angle see the under side or the top. Hope that help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fullbleedboy, took note of your crits, and altered it again, hope it improved

Dread_Reaper, late... it's freaking 11 am again :| I really should go to bed hehe :p

Moi, I shall play a little with the canvas to see if it improves

wiiii, another update:

Name:  4h.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  207.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure about such a hard line on the sunrise, try about 5mm-1cm gradient.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    max, thanks for the crit

Right... I'm going to have to call it 'finished' since I won't be able to work on it anymore for the next 2 weeks. Well here is the final:

Name:  4i.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  231.4 KB

some close-ups:
    Name:  close-up1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  241.4 KB

Name:  close-up2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  close-up3.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  98.2 KB

and the progress (for as much as I was able to save it):

Name:  progress1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  516.2 KB

Radio24, timp, kidult, m@, combatcasey, aedman, Lotet, Ilaekae, Dread_Reaper, fullbleedboy, Moi, Max Challie, and though he didn't posted in here but did help me: slash, thank you very much!!!

if it is good enough, feel free to move it to FF, if not, well to bad hehe

36. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont think this was intentional, but its kinda starting to look like pac-man.

Attached Images Attached Images  

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Lotet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, you found out my secret plan!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can see u allready tried to put it in a more contectual environment, though i would experiment more with the settings, try different eviro's

u are going in the right direction, keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't need to call it finished just yet. If anything, take those two weeks to reflect, so you can come back fresh and ready to keep going.

You're moving in the right direction with those other ships you added, but you can push it more. My point also was that you only really have two real planes, the up close (foreground ship) and the background (space station and planet). The ships you've added give a good sense of scale to the piece, showing how big the space station is, but you still only have two planes. You have no real midground.

I hope you'll keep at this one, because I really really like it.

If not, then enjoy the two weeks, and I expect to see you back here with some new ideas

-Dread_Reaper

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This has really come a long way since the first post, and gives a much better sense of being a big floating machine in space as compared to earlier. What's still sorely missing is a sense of scale, and aside from the earlier advice about curvature, you really do need to try adding more portals, window, little machinery, anything that you might find on something that large. It looks like it could be the same size as the ship that's approaching it right now, so it sorely needs the suggestion of those tiny details.

Members who have read this thread: 1