Nice to see you loosing the black lines
    Took me a while
    But i eventually realised they're evil

Well ... in realisitic digital paintings anyway

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaxsbudgie -- Yeah? I'm not fully comfortable losing the black lines just yet. Or... I guess lines in general... but I can work towards it. :3

-----

Ah. Sorry I have been... incredibly inactive. What has it been? A week? Just about. I've been busy with stuff. :3 Mostly good... but right now, it's just rushing to get ready for school.
    So here's a huge sketch dump of what has been in my sketchbook and not scanned until today!

Crits greatly appreciated. :3

Name:  080908.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  138.3 KBName:  081208.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  156.6 KB
    Name:  081308.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  153.0 KBName:  081308_umbrella.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  141.5 KB
    Name:  081408.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  158.6 KBName:  081508_allpen.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  191.0 KB
    Name:  081708.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  185.3 KBName:  081908.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  171.8 KB

Last edited by ohnojenny; August 21st, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi nice start, have you tried to work with reference photos for some of the facial anatomy? I think it would help you a lot. Nice mind. K

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just wanted to drop some encouragement: you're doing great! so many faces! some are a bit wonky; big eyes, small chins and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic variety of subject matter...mmm I remember some of these...I love the chef, and those speed paintings are looking great...keep it up, and keep pushing for greater variety of tones when you're doing paintings! So much progress! I want more!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 492 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice style and stuff...keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're puttin' in the work. This is a good SB you've going here. I'd like to see some facial studies from reference. Something is slightly off in your faces, I think it might be the placement and size of eyes. Bridges of noses seem to get pushed into the face in 3/4 view too.

Hope the crits are helpful. Keep up the good work!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BRINKMAN! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good in here, ohnojenny! You're showing a lot of drive and progress. Keep it up!

Try adding some lighting/shading to your pencil sketches so you can start to get a better feel of volume and depth around the form. Once you get the hang of it, single lines can start to give off a feeling of depth without the shading.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GHill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where are you?
    *looks under rock*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oh good lord... I've been dead.

Oh good... wow. Haha, I've been gone for a while, haven't I? I'm sorry, it's just... whoever said senior year of high school was supposed to be a piece of cake lied. It was one long year...

And because of this long year, I've drawn less. But it's summer now, so I hope to draw more!

But guys, listen, I need MAJOR help. Because I haven't been drawing much, my work has gone down hill. You can tell when my steam left me when the dates start disappearing. Or, you can just look at the faces. It's noticeable.

So please critique! I will get to your previous comments on the next post, along with some paintings I did during the year. Colored works for school.

Yes... off I go now.
    Name:  081908.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  364.8 KBName:  082408.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  309.3 KBName:  090208.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  297.6 KBName:  091708.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  311.0 KB
    Name:  09sometime08.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  282.8 KBName:  09sometime108.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  270.0 KB
    Name:  09sometime208.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  266.9 KBName:  040109.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  238.4 KB
    Name:  041809.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  304.1 KBName:  060209.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  296.3 KB
    Name:  061309.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  318.1 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a lot of variation in the faces, and I think that's a real strength. It won't take you longer than spending just a little bit of time with your sketchbook over the course of a day to get your touch back, if you really feel that you've lost it. I can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [sketcheth] I'm going to be sketching a lot today... of a lot. I think I'm going to rework Kane... maybe that will help! Thank you!

---

Okay, bunch of paintings I did during the winter for a portfolio. Not much to say about them... except for what media I used.

Acrylic on canvas.
    Name:  IMG_1283_yessmall.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  337.5 KB

Acrylic on construction paper.
    Name:  IMG_1812small.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  348.8 KBName:  IMG_1820small.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  376.5 KB

Mixed-media (pastel, colored pencils, chalk, ink) on poster paper.
    Name:  IMG_1852small.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  371.9 KB
    (It's Polonius from Shakespeare -- or my interpretation.)

And it'll be new stuff from here on out! Sorry guys, and thank you!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick post before I run-off trying to find a summer job.
    Been doing some Bridgman studies... thank you sketcheth! I still have a lot of work to do regarding proportions. I have some girl's head being too big, and some legs and arms just looking funky.

Name:  061509.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  204.5 KBName:  061509_begbridge.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  151.7 KB
    Name:  061609_begbridge.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  192.1 KBName:  061609_people.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  181.3 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting that the anatomy on some of these drawings is much more accurate than some of the other ones, like the full body fellow in the top left? He's very well proportioned! Try figuring out how you drew that one and then apply that manner of thinking to the other things you do!

Anatomy is something that can be remedied through practice and study over time. I think it's noteworthy to say that you already possess something which is not something easily learned at all, and that is character. All of these drawings are of people, or characters, none are generic or stereotypical faces. THAT is what is very impressive here. Keep drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [sketcheth] Is he? I'm gonna have to stare at him for a bit, then, because his legs look too short to me. I'll keep working on it! But what do you mean by "character"? I think everyone has some character in them. Because of that, there is no generic face. I must be missing it, though... do elaborate!

------

Two posts. First one is fine -- I nearly forgot how much I loved coloring. I was reworking Kane... but I think I like my digital rendition from much earlier more. Yeah... Now I just need decent figures to color in.
    The second page was another attempt at proportions... and I hate them all. Except for the guy in the vest.
    Critiques are loved. :3

Name:  061809.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  318.0 KBName:  061909.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  281.5 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't have my sketchbook for two days. :/ I'll try and get more up tomorrow.
    Tried drawing my niece, and made her look a wee bit older. Gotta work on that. Drew a dog for something different. Then drew a few figures for practice. They're a bit iffy, but I'm getting there... then the girl at the bottom with the colorful hair... agh. Right towards the end as I was coloring her eyes, my Copic did a mean thing and just blotched it. So I gave her an eyepatch. Sad, because I liked that eye. But now it's my avatar, so... ho hum...

Name:  061909_dog.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  259.7 KBName:  062109.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  273.7 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The variety is fantastic in these posts. I already elaborated to you about the character comment, so I'll leave that out. But really, these are exquisite, keep the markers going, they're something fresh, since markers are something you don't see too often. Keep going with the figure studies, those will be very beneficial for you!

For critiques I would say that one definite thing worth studying is the human neck. Take a good look at some anatomy books and really try to understand how the muscles overlay, some of the drawings on post #47 look kind of unnatural. They seem to be either too thick, or taper strangely toward the top. I also really like the fellow with the vest, though I think his neck is craned in an awkward way. Also, try to figure out the plane that the figures you are drawing are standing upon, or at least show the uneven ground they stand upon, if that's the case.

Wonderful posts...awesome.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [sketcheth] I will continue! And your crits are very helpful. I'll do neck and figure studies today.

Real quick post. Self portrait took over an hour... not sure how long. I don't like it very much, gotta get used to the brushes... and drawing my own face. I'll keep doing them, and we'll see what happens!

Name:  062109_me_small.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  148.7 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hehe setting goals for each page is a great idea!! and i think your anatomy, meaning your face so far is really really good!! it really really remind me of what-i-do-is-secret from deviantART: http://what-i-do-is-secret.deviantart.com/ the way you draw eyes gave you away

and i see you're starting to get those poses down too
    have you heard of posemaniacs.com? : http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/ you GOTTA do the 30 sec exercise if you haven't...or draw some poses from there; and you know you can ROTATE them, no ^^
    what i think you should really pay attention is that proportion, especially when your pose is a more tricky one; just a friendly reminder ^_^

KEEP GOING!!
    and i shall have my eye on you too! especially now that i see your anatomy style..i'm a big fan of that type of face form n lips!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [BlackDelphin] Thanks! I should do another self portrait soon. It wasn't that bad drawing my face, but the coloring was more of a challenge. I usually enjoy coloring so much... haha, and actually, that isn't me (if that's what you were thinking :3)! I'm skeletalwings on dA, and I don't frequent it too much for a few reasons. I feel like the dA community isn't really into art-improvement, but into popularity.
    I actually used to do posems! I did them again today -- they weren't too bad. I'll have to do it more often for sure. :3 And yeah, proportion... I really need to work on that. Any tips?

-------

Hey, more from me today! Pretty much just practicing the full figure, and a few arms hanging in the first one. The middle two pages were Pose Maniacs 60-second drilling. The last page was me on my own, trying to see where I am right now. I'm getting there...

Name:  062209_1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  280.3 KBName:  062209_2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  205.8 KB
    Name:  062209_3.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  204.4 KBName:  062209_4.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  156.4 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Err... Not that I in any way want to drag you into the quicksand that is complacency, but how can you say your work has gone downhill? In my eyes it looks like definite improvement from your November 08 post to your recent thread resurrection.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out. I reckon you've got all the standard (and rock solid) advise of 'draw, draw, draw' and 'draw from life', and perhaps also the 'check out Bridgman/Vilppu/Loomis'. So I won't regurgitate that. Oh wait...

All that remains now is to keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice posemaniacs, great studies. Things are already getting more consistent. The self portrait is beautiful! I'd be curious to see what you'd do if you continued to do them every once in a while!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aah it's good that you know posemaniac! but i did made you use it again so i'm satisfied :3
    about poses itself..i think as long as it isn't a to easy pose, like the front view one or those waaaacky angles you're great now! for the others...hmm..just watch this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mcpn70
    you DEFINITELY should see the start..you hear that info quite a lot, but the presentation and example are good! sorry that you have to download it, but Arteche (from dA) took all the other options down.
    it may actually have bin the other video so you'd better take a look at this page: http://arteche.deviantart.com/journal/?offset=10 xD
    sorry for the complications!! i'll write the info down here too to make sure you know it

it's basically about head proportion count: the head is, obviously one head (h=head).
    ~the neck is 1/2h
    ~female shoulders is 2h, male 3h apart
    ~the distance from the neck to the pelvis is 3h: at 2h down you draw the belly button (a bit down from the elbow) and at 1h it's the MIDDLE of the breasts for female.
    ~from pelvis to knees there are 2h (knees not included i'd say)
    ~from knees to the base of the foot,NOR the toes, 2h

I understand that this is the perfect version of a human being. I hope i didn't just confuse you and cause only damage to your knowledge in any way. (- -)"

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jenny, thank you for viewing my SketchBook and thank you for posting. I have gone through your SB and I see that you have improved much from last year. I am sorry that you had to make such a long break from drawing but I see that you did not lost any of your talent or quality, so I come to a conclusion that drawing is like bicycle riding or swimming, once you learn it you will never forget it, the only thing remains is to improve it.
    Great overall work, I will use some of your studies for me to improve and I will be happy to see more of your art. Take care.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,
    nice sketchbook with good progress you have.
    One thing, at times you seem to struggle drawing eyes. Mostly they are really expressive but sometimes slightly dislocated. Rule of thumb is: eyes in the middle of head, width of one eye space between. Hope you dont mind cutting in your sketch but thats what I mean.

Name:  crit1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  37.4 KB
    Keep it up.

Gib

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Gib For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,

Nice work, I see a lot of improvement on your faces. Though it can be a good thing to analyse the human body, to see what the proportions are. If you do this from time to time it really affects your technique.
    It 's also a good thing to excercise on rendering things with a pencil, you can learn a lot about how to define shapes without using a line.

Keep it up!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [Hai] Hello! Well holding a pencil to draw again after that long hiatus just felt so funny, and I had forgotten what I had learned from my past Loomis and figure studies, so I just felt super shaky. Things are getting better I think, though! Thanks for your input! I actually do not know who Vilppu is...

[sketcheth] Thanks! Yeah, I'll be sure to do more posems and self portraits... when I get the chance. Maybe today! Who knows?

[BlackDelphin] A video! That's new. Maybe I'll be more likely to listen to it/not get distracted since it moves. Haha... reading off of books kind of allows for my mind to wander. Thank you, I'll be sure to check it out!

[LtPlissken] Hehe... would you be surprised if I told you I forgot how to ride a bike twice? I don't know if I forgot how to swim yet... but I'm an oddball when it comes to that. But I am sure hoping to improve! Thank you!

[Gib] You're incredible! You picked out the one face I am the most displeased about and fixed it! I had no idea how I'd do such a thing. I'll study what you did to correct it for sure, because I agree -- my eye placement has gotten wonky a bit. Thank you!

[Nicky S] Thanks! Yes, I'm working to improve my handle on the human body. I think some more Bridgman studies will do me some good, and some more pose maniacs...
    But I don't quite understand what you mean by "define shapes without using a line." I'll definitely pull up a pencil more, maybe sketch random objects in my house.

-------

All right! So I did a couple speedpaintings (the first one isn't really a speedpainting since it took... an over, a bit over. The actual sketch took maybe fifteen minutes, but I got caught up and mangled with the shading. Blegh).
    And I couldn't whip out any more figures, so I started drawing an environment that is turning into a scene. A WIP! How exciting. Really, any early crits on that especially would help! The horse is going to change for sure, I know, because it looks a bit off...

Name:  062209_beachgirl.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  062209_sp_shinyshoesguy.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  knightdragonmountains_prev.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  117.0 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh how cool!! i love the way you shaded the mountains! looking good so far!! hope you know what to do next ^^

and i really like the girl! the colours in particular! they're great for her!!

and lol!! you're a weird one too tehehe. you should watch the video..but the thing is i think the video i want you to see is already taken down

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About your wip, make sure you have enough room around your focal points. Right now the horse and figure are a little close to the edge, squeezing them a bit. Also, with so much of the 'action' going on in the upper half of the picture, it gets a little top-heavy. If you place the horse and figure a little lower and give them some more room, I think it'd look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [BlackDelphin] I like to think I'm good with picking colors. But only so much. And thanks! I need to fix the WIP before I post some progress on it, but I think the mountains won't change too much. :3

[Hai] Top-heavy... thank you! I didn't catch that at all. And yes, maybe I will give them some more room on this canvas... maybe much more. I'll try some things out. Thank you again!

-----

Hey, 3rd page! Awesome! Gives some more spark for me to draw some more. Fill it up.
    Speaking of filling it up, some more pages filled with poses from Pose Maniacs. I'm really glad that I'm getting much more than 10 bodies on each page.

But what I'm aiming to accomplish for the next few posts is to get in some neck and arm studies, because I'm finding that I'm having a hard time attaching arms to the human body, and necks are coming out funny sometimes. I'll do some Bridgman studies...
    That, and do some more graphite rendering. Wish me luck!

Name:  062309_1.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  201.8 KBName:  062309_2.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  221.3 KB

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.